none
USB port may stop working after you remove or insert a USB device - Windows 7 64 bit

Question

• USB port may stop working after you remove or insert a USB device - Windows 7 64 bit
    I have Windows 7 64 bit and recently update my Toshiba c655 laptop with SharePoint 2010.

My usb ports stopped working suddenly after a week. 
    The usb do not work but no error occurs.
    I deleted reinstalled all USB Root Hub from Device Manager both in Regular and Safe Mode.
    I unchecked Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power  (DeviceSelectiveSuspended=1 in Registry )
    I restored Windows System 3 days before the USB failed.

I followed all the procedures outlined in the document below:
    USB port may stop working after you remove or insert a USB device
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

According to the number of post on USB Ports this is a Windows 7 issue.
    What else can I do? I have spent countless of hours trying to resolve this.

Art Jasso
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:52 PM

Answers

• I have seen the chipset driver suggestion before. After doing more search I found postings suggesting to rmove the laptop battery and then restarting the laptop.  I removed for 1/2 and it worked ok then the problem came back.  I removed the battery overnight and restarted the machine with my USB mouse attached. Now it appears to be working.

It is definately started with as a Windows 7 issue but to solve it you need to discharge the power to the unit.

Art Jasso
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try to update your chipset driver and BIOS to the latest and check how it works.

If this issue persists, please try to delete the Upper Filter and Lower Filter entry in registry:

Delete the USB "Upper Filter" & "Lower Filter" Entry

==================================

Before we go any further, please first backup the Registry.

1.    Type REGEDIT in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2.    Locate the “UpperFilters” value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3.    On the “Edit” menu, click “Delete”, and then click “OK”.

4.    Locate the “LowerFilters” value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

5.    On the “Edit” menu, click “Delete”, and then click “OK”.

6.    Quit Registry Editor and restart the computer.

If there are no such entries in the right panel, you could ignore the steps above.

Meanwhile, it may be a hardware issue, you could also contact the manfacturer for help.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:06 AM
  • I have seen the chipset driver suggestion before. After doing more search I found postings suggesting to rmove the laptop battery and then restarting the laptop.  I removed for 1/2 and it worked ok then the problem came back.  I removed the battery overnight and restarted the machine with my USB mouse attached. Now it appears to be working.

It is definately started with as a Windows 7 issue but to solve it you need to discharge the power to the unit.

Art Jasso
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:17 PM