none
svchost using 100 cpu and taking all my RAM

Question

• Hi,

I have a copy of windows 7 pro (64 bit), and I have a problem with my svchost.exe, it’s taking almost 100 of my cpu and slowly eating up my RAM. I have run allot of different virus scans and know I do not have a problem with a virus or mail ware ect...  The svchost file that is causing the problem is only connected to 6 different services they are:

WSCSVC,

Imhost,

HomeGroupProvider,

eventLog,

DHCP,

Audiosrv.

I have spent a lot of time over the last few days trying to figure out what the problem was and found a lot of information saying that it could be Windows updater that is causing the problem, so I decided to test this by turning off Windows up date to see if this would help, but looking at the services that this file is attached to I would think that it is highly unlikely to help and I was right, I am really finding it very hard to find someone else that has the same problem that I have. this problem first showed itself after I did a System restore to my system rolling it back to 2 days pervious. I had to do perform this action after trying to install Kaspersky internet security essentials 2010 when the product would not install on my system. Once it was clear that the software would could not be installed I wanted to put back my original antivirus software. That being AD-Aware lava soft, Microsoft security essentials and mail-wareByts and pc tools firewall, but i found that Could not install any of the programs even after looking for parts of Kaspersky that might be installed on my PC, so i was left with only once choice and that was to role back to a version that was not effected by the Kaspersky install.

So my question is twofold, is there away to remove this copy of Svchost.exe from my windows system32 folder and replace it with another version that will not cause the CPU usage and RAM leak or am I only left with re-installing my copy of windows 7?

Or is there a Hot-fix that will solve this problem for me without re-installing my OS.

PC stats:

Intell core duo 3Ghz

4Ghz DDR3 RAM

ATI HD 3850 (250MB) Graphics card

here are some screen shots of the services and the process that I am talking about, as can see almost 1GIG or ram is being used and almost 100 CPU usage as well.

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/soady_2008/svchost/svchostcpuusage.png

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/soady_2008/svchost/stillusing100cpuwithupdatesoff.png

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/soady_2008/svchost/services.jpg

thanks for any and all help

Soady

EDIT:

I have found that if I change Windows EventLog in service.msc from Automatic to stopped my RAM usage no longer go up and my CPU usage drops from 90% down to 50% however setting this to manual does not help I am concerned that stopping this could have negative effect for my PC

Saturday, March 27, 2010 10:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you run Process Explorer to check what processes svchost loads take the high CPU usage.

If the root cause you find is a third party software, you may uninstall it to fix the issue.

You may also test the issue in Clean Boot to check if there are any software conflicts.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 6:06 AM
  • Hello,

thanks for all your help, it turns out that it was my firewall (pc tools)  that was causing the problem, I followed your clean boot process and that lead me to my firewall. I have now removed it and have put another one on.

thanks again

soady

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:32 PM
  • hi i have this same problem and

clean boot is

is realy something i did without searching the net ok and i uninstalled all third party software with power software wiper

witch deletes all the reg keys i checked the reg is total clean i have 4 gig of ram and partition of 52 gb for windows 7

the svc host is realy microsoft related cause its the netwerk protocal taking that much

i realy like windows 7 please tell me how this can be fixed first i thought might be a trojan or virus

checked for abnormal behaviour and outgoing connections nothing found even tried trajon remover nothing

spyhunter and spybot scann nothing all apps say the system is clean still the svchost is taking so much cpu

my system is jumping from 10 to 100 while my linux partition is running smoothly without a problem

thanks in advance

inayat

Sunday, April 04, 2010 6:20 PM
  • heya,

this is the only thing that it might be but I ruled out when I had the problem, try turning off your auto updates (windows updates) and see what happends, that is about the only thing that I can think of, as you have not said you have tried that.

SoadY

Monday, April 05, 2010 2:33 AM
  • lol tried that aswel no use
    Monday, April 05, 2010 10:58 PM