none
Cannot Run BF2 in Windows 7

Question

• When I attempt to start BF2, I get the following error message:  "DirectX version 9.0c is required to run BF2.  Your system seems to have DirectX version 0.0".    I have tried to run DXDiag to verify what version I have, but I get a error message that states  "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d11.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.  Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or software vendor for support".   I also get a second error message stating "Error:  Could not load DXDIAGN.DLL   I know I have DX 10 on the machine since I can see it using Everest Start tools.   I also believe Windows 7 has DX 11 installed on here.    I have attempted to update the DirectX with DXWebSetup but it tells me I have the most current version installed.    How do I get this resolved? 
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 9:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Care to share the specs of your rig? Are you running BF2 with a graphic card or using a onboard graphic? And did you install the drivers for the graphic card either from the drivers CD or from nvdia or ati website?
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:38 PM
  • Running video graphics card.   I have been playing Crysis 3 recently with no problems.

Specs for my system are: 

CPU Type    QuadCore Intel Core i7 920, 2785 MHz (21 x 133)

Motherboard Name    EVGA X58 SLI

Video Adapter    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT  (512 MB)  Updated with Nvidia driver 8.17.12.7533 dtd 5-20-11 from guru3d website.

System Memory    4087 MB  (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)

Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1  Running in 64bit.

Running DX 10.  

Friday, June 10, 2011 12:05 AM
  • Running video graphics card.   I have been playing Crysis 3 recently with no problems.

Specs for my system are: 

Video Adapter    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT  (512 MB)  Updated with Nvidia driver 8.17.12.7533 dtd 5-20-11 from guru3d website.

Running DX 10.  

Have you try running or rolling back to a older version of graphic drivers? Sames goes to direct X, you might wanna try installing DX9 instead.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:59 AM

Specs for my system are: 

Running DX 10.  

Have you try running or rolling back to a older version of graphic drivers? Sames goes to direct X, you might wanna try installing DX9 instead.

Will go and roll back to my earlier drivers.  I am a little perplexed about how I go about reinstalling DX9.   I will research it to give it a shot.

Daniel. I have gotten DX9 dtd June 2010, but I have 2 zipped folders titled d3dx9_43_x64 and a d3dx9_43_x86.   I am confused as to which one I want and where exactly do I put the files when I unzip the right one.  
    Friday, June 10, 2011 2:06 AM

Specs for my system are: 

Running DX 10.  

Will go and roll back to my earlier drivers.  I am a little perplexed about how I go about reinstalling DX9.   I will research it to give it a shot.

Daniel. I have gotten DX9 dtd June 2010, but I have 2 zipped folders titled d3dx9_43_x64 and a d3dx9_43_x86.   I am confused as to which one I want and where exactly do I put the files when I unzip the right one.  

Since you are running win 7 with 64bit OS, d3dx9_43_x64 should be the one you should opt for. For unziping you could create a folder say name it as DX9 and next unzip it to the particular folder, once done, set it up from there
    Friday, June 10, 2011 4:21 AM
  • I did a search and discover there's a few patches as in patch 1.50 & patch 1.40 for BF2, you might wanna try it out. Btw did you posted any queries in BF2 forum or check with fellow gamer about your problem?
    Friday, June 10, 2011 4:36 AM
  • Got the patches and updated with them.  Same old thing occurs.   Will post in some BF forums.  Thanks Daniel for your assistance.  Will keep you updated if I find a fix. 
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Got the patches and updated with them.  Same old thing occurs.   Will post in some BF forums.  Thanks Daniel for your assistance.  Will keep you updated if I find a fix. 

"Have you try running or rolling back to a older version of graphic drivers?"     You had asked me this in a previous question.  I rolled the drivers back to one I have been using with my windows XP but I get the same error messages as I do with the old driver in Windows 7.  I will keep working on it.

Friday, June 10, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

DirectX 11 should be came with Windows 7. However, as many games were developed before DirectX 11 came out, they are not designed for this version and may need files from DirectX 9 that are not included in DX 11.

Try to install DirectX 9.0c since it can run with DX 11 separately.  

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

If the issue persists, run DirectX Diagnostic tool to check the result.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Run-DirectX-Diagnostic-Tool

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:00 AM
  • I have tried everything that everyone here has suggested as well as what I have found on other web sites, all to no avail.   I can't even run the diagnostic program (dxdiag) as it comes up with 2 errors. 

"C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d11.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.  Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or software vendor for support"

"Error:  Could not load DXDIAGN.DLL"

Frustration levels are at a all time high.  :-)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Footnote:    I just loaded Battlefield: Bad Company today and it ran without any hiccups whatsoever so I am still at a loss as to what the problem is with BF2.  Also not being able to run my dxdiag has me puzzled. 
    Monday, June 13, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Hi,

Check if the following link will solve the issue.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/dxdiagn-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:38 AM