none
Windows 8 - PC Gaming Issue - LAG Spikes

Question

• Keep in mind these issues are Internet / Network Related.

The Issue
    The last couple of nights, I wanted to do some online gaming, specifically Diablo III and Battlefield 3.

In Battlefield 3, I can join a server just fine, and if I stand still I can watch the action playing out smoothly and my ping is at 20-22 depending on which server I choose. When I move my ping jumps all the way up to 300 and can even max out at 800 and on the screen I keep jittering back and forth.

In Diablo III, I haven't checked my ping, but I have noticed a similar issue.

My assumption
    With that information and some tests that I've done, my download speed is ~25 Mbps, and my upload Speed is ~4 Mbps. It's hard to say that this is a driver issue, but I'm not ruling it out. Maybe it's a firewall issue?

Trouble shooting
    • My desktop has both Wireless and Wired Connection capabilities, and I tried each one separately with the same results.
    • I have disconnected my router, and plugged my PC directly into the Modem to see if that would fix it. It did not.
    • I tried port forwarding, it did not work.
    • Updated my network card driver (nForce)

Equipment
    • ASUS M3N78 PRO Motherboard
    • 6GB DDR2 800
    • AMD 5770 1GB GDDR 5
    • 500GB HDD 7200RPM
    • Router: NETGEAR Wireless G (I'll get the model later when I get home)
    • Modem: Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 (same)
    If I can get any help regarding this issue, I will be truly grateful. Other than these issues the games run flawlessly.          
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The issue may be related to game server side. Go to the game forum and check if anyone else encountered the same problem.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 02, 2012 7:49 AM
  • im experiencing the same issue. cant game competently with the frequent spikes. any resolve would be much appreciated
    Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:34 AM
  • Here you go with the explanation, i just did research on my own cos i have the same problem: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2250925

this issue is still unsolved, and by the time it is a known issue i'm guessing it might be something that could take a little while longer. I also just found a topic with a software tool that might help you, but i haven't tested it yet myself. Hope it helps, because Diablo 3 is unplayable now for me : http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:12 PM