none
Wireless Card WLAN AutoConfig Service will not start - missing dependencies?

Question

• A few days ago, my laptop suddenly started booting extremely slowly, and the entire OS seemed to be lagging and slowing down. Within a day, that turned into me not being able to log in to the system at all many times, with the system hanging at the "Welcome" after entering my password for about 10 minutes. When I was able to log in, if I tried to do anything with explorer, the entire system would freeze up, and even restarting explorer forcefully within task manager would not do anything. I also noticed that my Wifi card didn't seem to be showing up, either when I pressed Fn+F5 (Thinkpad shortcut to manage bluetooth and wifi status) and no networks would show up on my computer. However, in Network and Sharing Center the wireless card would show up as "Enabled" but would be completely unusable.

Once I booted into my dual-booted XP and ran chkdsk on the win7 drive, the system would no longer freeze up and boot slowly, it had actually gone back to it's original speed and power. The wireless card still has the same issue however, and I also noticed that my Fingerprint reader wouldn't load either. 

Looking closely at the Event Viewer, I found that the WLAN AutoConfig service wouldn't start because one of it's dependencies wouldn't start: the Native Wifi Filter service. When I looked inside Device Manager and turned on hidden devices, I saw that the Native Wifi Filter service had the warning ! sign next to it. I was told that if I uninstalled all the wifi drivers including the Native Wifi Filter service and reinstalled the driver's from the manufacurer's website, it might solve the problem. So I did, and now the Native Wifi service is completely gone but the card still has the same exact problem.

The error in the Event Viewer:

The WLAN AutoConfig service depends on the NativeWiFi Filter service which failed to start because of the following error: 
    Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

Any ideas?

System:

Lenovo Thinkpad W520

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1

Lets flip a coin. Heads, I win. Tails, you lose. Makes perfect sense.

• Edited by Re.VB_P Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

On my own computer, all these files are digitally signed. I suggest booting into Windows XP, then copy the same files from a working computer to replace them.

If it still has no go, try In-place upgrade.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:27 AM

All replies

• 1. For boot troubleshooting use F8 switch when the system boots and set the option that will log the boot steps. Reveal here your findings, or upload logs to Skydrive cloud repository and place here the repository URL

2. Boot into Safe mode and look into Event logs and services dependences. Reveal here your findings.

3. Because of your problem may be your hardware specific, place your question in vendor's forum

http://forums.lenovo.com/

Regards

Milos

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Thank you for the reply! I am unable to boot into safe mode because it will crash within a few second of bringing up the login screen.

I also just noticed today that when I boot with the "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" boot option, the wireless card and fingerprint reader function properly.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:53 PM
  • Hi,

This shoud be caused by the Driver Signature of dirver you are currently using, please update your WLAN adapter driver to latest version. Disabling Driver Signature Enforcement will increace the risks to System Stability because all the dirvers are running under Kelnel Mode.

Juke Chou

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:41 AM
  • I also did that, this does not seem to be a driver issue but a windows issue. Isn't the Native Wifi Filter a driver that ships with Windows?

I did look inside the Device Manager, and it shows that my wireless card driver is digitally signed.

Card is an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

You may run sigverif.exe, then start a file signiture check=>click Advanced to view the log and check unsigned driver.

If it is Native WIFI filter driver, please try to copy nwifi.sys from a working computer, then check if the issue persists. You may also post the report here, we will help you check.

Juke Chou

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:38 AM
  • The program says that the following files are unsigned: 

mcdbus.sys

nwifi.sys

vwififlt.sys

vwifimp.sys

windrvr6.sys

I did boot into my XP partition then delete nwifi.sys and then ran System File Checker to replace it. Even after that, it is still saying that it is unsigned.

Here is the full log: http://pastebin.com/EfERq6qH

Friday, February 24, 2012 10:18 PM
  • The system is really in a bad state if you can't boot to safe mode. Your probably going to need to do a repair installation and save yourself a lot of time troubleshooting in the process.

you can also try removing all of the related / problem hardware. Theoretically, if its plug and play it will automatically reinstall itself. You may need to try to use the manufacturers driver installtion software to help it along the way. also go into system properties, and under the hardware tab, goto device installation settings and allow windows to download and install drivers automatically.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 12:20 AM
  • Hi,

On my own computer, all these files are digitally signed. I suggest booting into Windows XP, then copy the same files from a working computer to replace them.

If it still has no go, try In-place upgrade.

Juke Chou

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:27 AM
  • I copied the files off my desktop - Win7 Ultimate x64, but still the same problem. I finally gave up and tried a repair installation, but after the first boot it seems to be stuck at Expanding Windows files 18%

Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:06 PM