none
I get 0x8007000d error when i try to change any of my music details,like genre of artist,or any of them.

Question

• I have just installed a copy of Windows 7 ultimate,and i have all the latest updates for it.But when i went to my music folder i understood that explorer sees the half of the details on it and doesn't let me change it.It keeps throwing this error back at me,when i attempt to change it in the bottom bar.ITunes sees the details,so is my Windows Media Player,they don't let me change it though.Please help.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Before going any further, I would like to confirm the following information:

1. What happens if you change details in the bottom bar.

2. You said that the explorer sees the half of the details on it. Would you let me know what it means? Can you see all the information on the Detail tab?

Error 8007000d indicates that the data is invalid. Please let me know what changes you made and encountered this issue.

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest making a minor change and check if the error still appears. In addition, please go to  C:\Users\Public\Music\Sample Music folder, make change from file Properties -> Detail tab and check if it work.

If it does not work, try Clean Boot mode.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:27 AM
  • Hey,thanx for the quick reply,you guys are awesome) So anyways, several days ago I'd decided to switch my operating system from secure and cozy Windows XP to Windows 7,because i heard that it rocks, and at first it totally did, but then i understood that my music folder which has around 10000 files,didn't load any data about my music,like Artists and Albums e.t.c.First i thought the folder was too crowded,so i categorized everything into folders and stuff,but it didn't help,so i ran a error scan in Windows,which took all night-and it didn't help either.So as i understand that around 7000 music files that i accumulated over the last years are gone. It doesn't let me change the details in it at all: i try right clicking it and changing values there,but it acts as if the data is missing,and doesn't even show me the editing cursor.Then there's that nice little toolbar at the bottom,specific to media files,that has all the values-it lets me at least enter a few letters,but when i press enter it shows me the error we are discussing. The fact that is really interesting that Media Player doesn't see the values,but iTunes does,but shows them as unmodifiable. Another few things that i noticed with Windows 7, is that it doesn't work well with the compatibility mode: like with iTunes i decided to try the Troubleshoot compatibility feature,only it messed it up, so i took it off, but now it doesn't seem to see that it's off and keeps saying that iTunes has been set for an older windows version, it's better to turn off the mode before you open, but the thing is that IT'S ALREADY TURNED OFF, it just pisses me off.The GUI is all messed up too( One other thing, that i started to rip some music back and stuff,and downloading all the Artwork for it,but i have to do it manually,so it's all copy-paste-and so on, but sometimes OS keeps telling me that i don't have the administrator's right to copy this or that,it happens every 5-6 downloads (and i downloaded files to the desktop). Thank you,hope this helps you to better the 7,but it rocks)
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

It seems that the metadata of the music is not fully compatible with Windows 7. You can upload one of the music file to the http://skydrive.live.com/ using your Live ID. Here are the detailed steps: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

I will check if I can change the data on our machine.

In addition, some users resolved the issue by changing the data tagging from ID3 version 2.4 to version 2.3. Please try the following tool:

http://download.cnet.com/ID3-TagIT/3000-2169_4-10544467.html?tag=mncol

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. 

You can also try change the tagging to another type or reset it. NOTE: please backup the music file before modifying it.

As for the iTunes, according to Apple site, iTunes 9 is compatible with Windows 7, you can download it from the following link:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Hope it helps! 

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:25 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:07 AM
  • Wow,that Mp3 Tag converter worked like a charm)))Thank you very much, but the thing with iTunes doesn't work.I removed compatibility mode quite a while ago,but it still keeps saying that i have to remove for the program to work properly)but that's ok,thank you very much for all the help)
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:47 AM
  • I am glad to hear that the issue was resolved. Hope you enjoy using Windows 7. :)
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, November 27, 2009 6:03 AM
  • Hi

I encountered the same problem with some of my MP3 files after installing Win7 on my PC (unable to modify the ID3 info). I have used your advise and downloaded the MP3 Tag converter and it worked on MOST of the files (but not all...). I still have some files that simply "refuse" to be converted..
    I have 2 questions:
    1. Is there another solution that can solve this issue with all files?
    2. Does MS plan to release a patch to fix it and support V2.4?

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by Anelob Tuesday, March 02, 2010 5:59 AM
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Hi

I encountered the same problem with some of my MP3 files after installing Win7 on my PC (unable to modify the ID3 info). I have used your advise and downloaded the MP3 Tag converter and it worked on MOST of the files (but not all...). I still have some files that simply "refuse" to be converted..
    I have 2 questions:
    1. Is there another solution that can solve this issue with all files?
    2. Does MS plan to release a patch to fix it and support V2.4?

Thanks

I downloaded the ID tagger just like the person above me and nothing happen. When I opened the ID program all my music was properly tagged but I need it properly tagged in Windows Media Player which is the program my mp3 player uses to upload music. I synced my mp3 player with my music file and everything got messed up like in Windows Media Player. I don't get it why wasn't this an issue with Vista? I never had a problem with Vista but I had to buy a new laptop and it came with Windows 7. Please help.

Sincerely,
    Anelob
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

I'm having the same problem as Anelob - the majority of my music files are fine, but a couple of albums have lost the ID3 tags in Windows Explorer and WMP 12. Unlike all the other mp3 files, if I try and edit these tags, either in the bottom bar of Windows Explorer, or in the Properties menu, I receive the error message 0x8007000D. I've opened the files in both Mp3Tag and ID3-TagIt, which both recognise the ID3 tags that existed in Vista and XP, and show them as V2.3 tags. I can't convert the tags to another version, or identify any difference between these files and all the other mp3s, which can be edited no problem.

How can I recover these tags? What could cause the tag corruption, if not the ID3 version?

Cheers, Rach

Thursday, April 01, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Hi

Same issue.  3 out of 10 tracks on an mp3 album have all their tags in Vista but don't in Windows 7.  This is the case even when viewing the tracks on the Vista machine over the network from my Windows 7 machine.  Tags can't be added at the bottom or any other way (0x8007000D problem) and ID3-TagIt sees the tags fine.  If I try to import the files into iTunes, they don't show up (unsurprisingly - it thinks there is nothing to show).  They do appear in Windows Media Centre and I can change tags in here - but the changes appear to be what WMC thinks of the files rather than a fundamental change to their properties, since Windows Explorer shows the tags as still being absent.

Any ideas?  Happy to upload one of the files if this helps.

Cheers

Paul

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:02 AM
  • I'm having the same issue - getting an error 0x8007000D when trying to update metadata in my ID3 tags, whether it's through WMP or Windows Explorer. In iTunes the data is updated, but I think that it's storing the data outside the file through their library, as this information is not written back to the files themselves (or I assume, as Explorer isn't showing me any properties such as Album Art or art).

The files are NOT marked read only.

Also, I did note that it says this file is missing media rights usage data. Could this be a factor?

I have converted the ID3 tags using ID3-TagIT and validated the metadata in the ID3 tags using MP3val. 

The files in question where downloaded online from a sharing service, it's a live Phish concert. I have downloaded other files and updated metadata with no problem. 

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:56 AM
  • What about m4a format files??
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:23 AM
  • ...and for the avoidance of doubt, the files were downloaded legally! (In Rainbows, Radiohead, when you could get the album for a few cents!)

Any ideas anyone???

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by SardinasA Saturday, May 29, 2010 11:00 PM
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 11:00 PM
  • THis program fixed it for me

http://www.gromkov.com/faq/repair/mp3_validator.html

The mp3_validator recommended by Adonis Sardinas worked like a charm for me as well, and was simple to use.  I had a number of mp3s that not only couldn't have their tagging edited, but that wouldn't play at all in Win7.  All of them are fine now.  Highly recommended.

Before that I tried the ID3-TagIT program (suggested elsewhere in this thread) and the CDex program (suggested in a related thread) without success.  Both were excessively complex and came with no instructions (the latter does have a help feature, but it's not Win7 compliant, and the help files were omitted from the current version of the program -- supposedly there are fixes for these issues, but they didn't work for me).

• Proposed as answer by A-Team Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:48 PM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:03 AM
  • Mp3 Validator Thank you So much and Adonis Sardinas for mentioning... Best music file recovery prog Ever!!! :)
    • Proposed as answer by Dr Zoidberg Sunday, September 05, 2010 7:51 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:50 PM
  • I tried most of the proposed solutions on this page but nothng worked for me. (I'm using windows 7 64-bit)

Then I used this programm http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software.htm  to convert the mp3 files that i had to mp3(!!!).

Although a long shot it worked. The details tag of the new files that were created that way was perfectly editable.

Hope it'll help u too.

Sunday, September 05, 2010 7:57 AM
  • THis program fixed it for me

While it said that it did fix files, there are a number that it didn't fix. I have tried just about every idea on this thread and nothing seems to really work. Even though when I look at the files in windows explorer, in WMP it still shows them as not correct.

cardnut

Steven Bowers
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:00 PM
  • ID3-TagIT worked for me! The recent Radiohead single - Supercollider/The Butcher - is in MP3 format with ID3 version 2.4 tags. Unreadable by Windows 7. The app has a special function for changing the version to 2.3, and as soon as I made that change, Win7 recognized the tags and album art instantly.

Here's the link to the app again:

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:34 PM
  • I have the same problem, but ID3-TagIT is very complex.

The mp3_validator did not work for me, so can anyone instruct me how to use ID3-TagIT to change the version 2.4 tags to version 2.3 please

Saturday, May 07, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Had the same issue but ID3-TagIT solved it nicely.

It is NOT THAT complex and the only thing you need to do is converting the TAG version from 2.4 to 2.3. For the lazy guys out there I'm going to put the steps you have to follow:

1. Once you have downloaded and installed the app (come on, it's a VERY small app actually), open it and search for the folder/files on the left column. The program will automatically fill the center column with the songs. Notice that the "Ver. 2" inner column has "2.4" values. This is the tricky part of the whole thing.
    2. Select the ones you're having trouble with (shift + click for massive selection).
    3. Go to Extended Functions > Transfer/Convert Tags (or press F7).
    4. A dialog box shows up and you only have to choose the Convert TAG Ver. 2.4 to Ver. 2.3 option.
    5. Clic on OK and save the changes (Ctrl + S, or push the save button).

That's all. You don't have to use the program itself for editing the ID3 tags (i.e. adding titles, albums, cover arts, etc.). I only used it for changing the Tag version. Then my system filled up the blanks as magic and I could edited the files.

As some dudes above, I downloaded the new Radiohead record The King of Limbs and though my Win 7 was able to play the files, I had trouble with changing the tags.

Reposting again the links for the apps that seem to work fine so far:

ID3-TagIT (use it for "downgrading" the TAG version of your files, from 2.4 to 2.3. Should fix the most of issues.)

MP3 Validator

Thursday, August 04, 2011 6:33 AM
  • I had the same problem. I used iTunes to convert the ID3 tag back to 1.0 and that solved the problem. Didn't try any steps in between (1.1 - 2.3) but maybe that works as well.

Friday, August 12, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Windows 7 - Your Premier Operating System... IT"S A BUG, so issue a hotfix through updates, rather than tell people to resort to third party software.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 12:32 AM
  • Thank you so much Vivian Xing - MSFT for suggesting ID3 Tagit! It is brilliant! I have wanted this one album on my mp3 player for so long but for some reason I couldn't change details on the song! I now can!!!! So easy just to go on extended function and concert the tag from 2.4 to 2.3! Brilliant! Can not thank you enough

Friday, November 25, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Simple solution I use:

Drop MP3 file into Audacity (Download for free here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ )

Export it as an MP3.

You'll be able to change the tags during the export and after the export is finished.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 4:26 PM
  • i have the same issue either and tried the steps you said. it work on the directory ur talking. but when i returned to the mp3 file, it still didn't work. does any of your software engineers know about this issues? are you even taking steps to solve this kind of problems to the products your selling to the public putting different promises that is never true.. hope this clean boot your saying can help resolve the issue cause if not your DOOM..!!!
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:31 PM
  • I had a problem editing mp3 attributes on a W8.1 system

If you go to the file via the Libraries Icon in file explorer, open file properties, go to details tab and try to edit track name, track number and so on - you can't do it, the field is locked somehow.

If you find the C:\ drive (for example) and then drill down through \Users\<Username>\Music etc and do the same thing, you can edit file details without any problem.

Why? I have no idea, it seems crazy to me, but the 2nd way works.

TimBo

• Proposed as answer by shayjay14 Friday, February 14, 2014 10:26 PM
    Thursday, January 09, 2014 8:55 AM
  • I had experienced the issue as well with getting the 0x8007000d: Data Invalid error when attempting to edit some of my mp3 files via the bottom bar within windows 7 explorer. I can confirm that installing ID3 TagIT app and converting the Version 2 from 2.4 to 2.3 works. Windows 7 does not play with 2.4 for whatever reason. You will know right away if the version is the culprit because once opeing ID3 TagIT application and going to the file(s) in question, the tag shows up even though within Windows Media Player it does not.
    Friday, February 14, 2014 10:54 PM
  • What worked for me:
    In Itunes, select songs with problem, then right click and select convert ID3 Tags to v2.4.
    Monday, July 07, 2014 11:04 PM