none
Cannot install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - Error 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Question

• Hi,

I seem to be having some problems with installing SP1 on my Windows 7 Ultimate X64. At first I got the error code 0x800F8026 which turned out to be caused by Driver Sweeper. Following the guidance on this forum I managed to recover the missing ATI files in the Winsxs folder using the original Windows 7 dvd.

Unfortunately after that, the SP1 install (both from Windows Update and the standalone installer) aborted again on reboot, stating that it cannot configure SP1 and needs to revert. On second reboot I got the error code 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND in the windows update dialog.

Prior starting the SP1 installer, I've run both sfc /scannow (with no errors) and the update readiness tool.

Could someone please point me to the right direction with this? I've uploaded the logs to my skydrive here.

Thank you very much in advance.

Andras.

Friday, July 01, 2011 7:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From the CheckSUR log, I find one error regarding atiilhag.inf has been fixed. Please run SFC and the update readiness tool again until the logs give the all clear.

From CBS log, I notice the following error message.

"Failed to open the registry root: n/a, key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ServicePack\SPReview. er=0x2"

I suggest booting in Safe Mode and take the ownership of the registry.

1. Click Start -> type regedit in the search box and press Enter.

2. Navigate to the following registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

3. Right click Setup folder, choose permission, add everyone account into list with full permission.

4. Click Advanced button, select the option for Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permission form this object.

After that, reboot in Safe Mode and run Standalone installer again to check the result. If the issue persists, I think the best efficient way is in-place.

In-place upgrade

-------------------------

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:30 AM

All replies

• This problem occurs when some files in the update are missing, even though the update is downloaded and extracted successfully.
    Take a look at the article published at the following web address

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336/en-us

You could also download the standalone installer of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the following web address

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5842

and run the installation locally on your machine. Pay attention to download the appopriate installer file according to the Windows version (32 bit or 64 bit) you're currently running.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    Saturday, July 02, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Thank you Luigi, but I've already tried the standalone installer to no avail.
    Saturday, July 02, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Did you try the automatic fix provided by the Microsoft Knowledge Base article that I've suggested you?

What about the missing file? Any indication about it? Did you find any record in the Windows log ("System", above all) in the Event viewer related to the problems occuring during the installation of the Service Pack 1?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    Saturday, July 02, 2011 2:44 PM
  • I have yet to try the automatic fix. The system log only states the error code, nothing specific. The cbs.log I've provided seems to be more detailed, but unfortunately it's a bit confusing for me.

It does state the followings

2011-07-01 20:52:31, Info                  CBS    Perf: Doqe: Install started.
    2011-07-01 20:52:31, Info                  CBS    Doqe: [Forward] Installing driver updates, Count 61
    2011-07-01 20:52:31, Info                  CBS    DriverUpdateInstallUpdates failed [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]
    2011-07-01 20:52:31, Error                 CBS    Doqe: Failed installing driver updates [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]
    2011-07-01 20:52:31, Info                  CBS    Perf: Doqe: Install ended.
    2011-07-01 20:52:31, Info                  CBS    Failed installing driver updates [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]
    2011-07-01 20:52:31, Error                 CBS    Shtd: Failed while processing non-critical driver operations queue. [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]
    2011-07-01 20:52:31, Info                  CBS    Shtd: Rolling back KTM, because drivers failed.

I really cannot determine which driver updates are failing.

Could you please look at the logs? Perhaps they have more meaning to you.

Thanks again.

• Edited by szobanov Saturday, July 02, 2011 2:55 PM spelling
    Saturday, July 02, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

From the CheckSUR log, I find one error regarding atiilhag.inf has been fixed. Please run SFC and the update readiness tool again until the logs give the all clear.

From CBS log, I notice the following error message.

"Failed to open the registry root: n/a, key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ServicePack\SPReview. er=0x2"

I suggest booting in Safe Mode and take the ownership of the registry.

1. Click Start -> type regedit in the search box and press Enter.

2. Navigate to the following registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

3. Right click Setup folder, choose permission, add everyone account into list with full permission.

4. Click Advanced button, select the option for Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permission form this object.

After that, reboot in Safe Mode and run Standalone installer again to check the result. If the issue persists, I think the best efficient way is in-place.

In-place upgrade

-------------------------

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Thank you Niki, will try taking ownership of the registry in safe mode.

SFC and the Update Readiness Tool both finish without errors and corrections now.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:02 AM