none
Cloning the C:\Users structure in the another partition

Question

• HI

HI

Using the robocopy and icacls commandc of the Command Prompt in Windows 7, how do I clone the exact structure (including all system permissions) of the directory C:\Users and its substructure C:\Users\Public in the root directory of the another partition?

THANKS

BYE

Balubeto
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:23 PM

Answers

• Hello,

No, there is no difference between these command lines. You do not need to change the permission of d drive. By default, C drive and D drive have the same system permission.

Thomas77
    Friday, February 05, 2010 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Why don't you use the COPYX command to do this?

xcopy C:\users D:\users \E \O

The parameter '\E' will copy the exact structure.

The parameter '\O' is used to copy every file or folder's permissions information.

If you prefer to use robocopy  command line, add a parameter '\E' to copy the files' permissions information.

Thomas77
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:41 AM
  • HI

Is there any difference between your command and those robocopy C:\Users D:\Users /ZB /copyall and robocopy C:\Users\Public D:\Users\Public /e /ZB /copyall commands wanting to clone only the public structure?

In this image, I represented the system permissions of the C and D partitions:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5094/permessidrive.jpg

Then, from the Command Prompt Windows 7, how do I change the system permissions so that the D drive has the same system permissions as the C drive?

THANKS

BYE

Balubeto
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Hello,

No, there is no difference between these command lines. You do not need to change the permission of d drive. By default, C drive and D drive have the same system permission.

Thomas77
    Friday, February 05, 2010 9:52 AM