none
Raid 1 configuration unstable in Windows 7, stable with XP

Question

• Installing on ASUS M2A-mx motherboard running xp with RAID1 configuration using promise BIOS software. When switching to windows 7 RAID starts to go unstable and crashes, requiring rebuild. Unless this is resolved cannot continue with B test! Answer??
    Friday, February 13, 2009 9:55 PM

Answers

• I have a Highpoint 231x RAID card that works wonderfully with Vista SP1 x64.  With Windows 7 it's nowhere near as fast.  The drivers haven't been optimized for use with Windows 7, so there's no guarantee that they'll even work.

FWIW - most beta problems are caused by driver issues like this.  It's important to send feedback to Microsoft if you're able.  As I understand it, the developers access this forum to look for issues - but there's no communication with them.  This is true even at the Connect website - you won't hear from the developers unless they need information from you (I had this with a NIC driver in the Vista betas).

FWIW - try the latest drivers from the Promise website - and install them using compatibility mode for Windows Vista and Run as administrator.

- John
    Friday, February 13, 2009 10:01 PM

All replies

• I have a Highpoint 231x RAID card that works wonderfully with Vista SP1 x64.  With Windows 7 it's nowhere near as fast.  The drivers haven't been optimized for use with Windows 7, so there's no guarantee that they'll even work.

FWIW - most beta problems are caused by driver issues like this.  It's important to send feedback to Microsoft if you're able.  As I understand it, the developers access this forum to look for issues - but there's no communication with them.  This is true even at the Connect website - you won't hear from the developers unless they need information from you (I had this with a NIC driver in the Vista betas).

FWIW - try the latest drivers from the Promise website - and install them using compatibility mode for Windows Vista and Run as administrator.

- John
    Friday, February 13, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Done all as you advise + loaded latest BIOS, but still no joy! Lost "C" drive in array so back to format + install. Any other pointers??

Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Since you are using a mirrored set (RAID 1) you may be able to disable RAID at your promise controller, install Win7, convert your disk to a dynamic disk and apply RAID 1 at the software level.

I know this is not the best solution since a hardware based RAID setup will always perform better than a software based one, but it will allow you test Win7. Maybe during your testing time, you may find good, stable drivers that will allow Win7 to operation at a hardware level RAID 1.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 1:03 AM
  • Hi

Do not install 3rd party drivers if W7 can install driver for your RAID controller
    Monday, February 16, 2009 2:27 AM
  • I have similar problem using RAID 1 in Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM. I am using Asus P6T Deluxe v2 motherboard and 2 Seagate 1.5TB SATA setup in RAID 1 using the built-in Intel ICH10R SouthBridge chipset.

My PC will occassionally crashes and show a blue screen of IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL error. Sometimes the Windows 7 will crash and "hang" during the core dump process. If I press reset when the core dump is "hang", my PC will need to rebuild the RAID 1 and it takes a long time to finish !

Sometimes I will got blue screen and show the error related to the iastor.sys driver.

Would Microsoft please provide a hotfix to this problem ASAP ?
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:09 AM