none
Why Won't My Evoluent Mouse ($75) Work on Windows 7?

General discussion

• 1) I purchased an ASUS computer with Windows 7 installed.

2) My Evoluent optical mouse ($75) works occasionally. 

3) I called Microsoft support, they couldn't figure out what was the problem.

4) I called Evoluent, they are having the same problem.

5) The mouse cannot be replaced, it is a special, ergonomic design that I have to use for health reasons.

6) The mouse worked on XP.

7) So, I purchased a Logitech TrackMan and plugged it in.  Then, the Evoluent mouse started working!

8) Thinking I had the problem remedied, I unplugged the Evoluent mouse to use it on an XP system.  When I brought it back to the Windows 7 computer, it would not work again.

9) From what I have been told, this is an issue of the Evoluent mouse being recognized in some kind of default.

10) I reinstalled the chipset, I did everything imaginable to correct this problem.  The Logitech TrackMan works just fine on Windows 7.

**Windows 7 works very well for me in every other way.  I have noticed many internet posts about USB problems and the error message saying that the USB device is not recognized.  That's the problem I'm having, too.**

There's nothing wrong with the mouse or the mouse driver for the Evoluent mouse. 

Please help.

Thank you. 
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:44 PM

All replies

• Your right, there's nothing wrong with the mouse. My Vertical Mouse (wireless) works perfectly under WIN7 and Vista and XPPro. But, I'm not unolugging it all the time and switching it around. Buy a mouse for each machine and let it go at that if it's giving you problems. I've a tethered VM to my XPPro machine and wireless one on WIN7 Ultimate x64 (previously Vista Ultimate x64).

You didn't say; did you upgrade from Vista to WIN7 ? Did you install the Vertical Mouse software natively to WIN7 ? Are you unplugging the Vertical Mouse when the computer it's attached to is still on and then trying to replug it in later ?

Analyzing minds would want to know.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:27 AM
  • In the cases where the mouse isn't working on your machine, does it always appear in device manager as "Unknown device"?

What's the model of the motherboard in your system (or of the PC)?

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

I did not check Device Manager when it was working with Win7, but it now always says, "Uknown Device."  The error message that I see when clicking that UD in Device Manager is "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)."  This computer is an ASUS CM5570 with an Intel Pentium E5300.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Win7 came installed with my computer.  I tried every combination possible.  It worked last time when I simply plugged in the Logitech TrackMan.

Thanks.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Please run the following steps:

1) Open device manager
    2) Under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", you'll have a number of items named USB Root Hub.  Right click on one of those nodes, select properties, go to the power management tab and uncheck "allow the computer to turn this device off to save power"
    3) Repeat for each USB Root Hub
    4) Reboot

Then please connect your mouse again and let me know if that resolves the problem.
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:30 AM
  • Hi:

I followed your instructions, and when the computer was restarted, it just checked those boxes again that you had me uncheck and the mouse still didn't function.

Am I doing this correctly?  I unchecked the boxes with right clicks under Device Manager - USB Root Hub - Power Management - Allow the computer to turn off device... - Reboot.

The settings didn't save when I rebooted.

Thanks.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Not sure why they'd be reset.

Try going into Control Panel -> Power Options, clicking "change plan settings", then "change advanced power settings".  Under USB settings -> USB Selective Suspend Settings, set the value to Disabled, then reboot and try your device again.

Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Hi Mark:

I went to CONTROL PANEL - POWER OPTIONS - CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS - then, there is no ADVANCED POWER SETTING option - I am logged in as ADMINISTRATOR - all I see are options for power management, but no USB SELECTIVE SUSPEND SETTINGS option is there.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Hi Mark:

I went to CONTROL PANEL - POWER OPTIONS - CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS - then, there is no ADVANCED POWER SETTING option - I am logged in as ADMINISTRATOR - all I see are options for power management, but no USB SELECTIVE SUSPEND SETTINGS option is there.

Can you please post a screenshot of the page you're seeing?

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings  <-- That's where I see a "change advanced power settings" option.  If you don't see it, I'm gonna have to investigate why :)

Note:  I'll be away from the forums for most of the week.  It'll take me a while to catch up once I'm back.  If I haven't replied to you by next Wednesday, please bump the thread.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:33 AM
  • Hi Mark:

I was able to find the advanced power settings link.  I made the adjustment that you told me to make, and the USB roots under Device Manager are still resetting to default.  The USB setting through the power settings is now at disabled, and that doesn't default.

The mouse still does not work.

Thank you.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Give it up, get a new mouse. I quote Bruce Lee, "Don't Waste Yourself"

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Hi Stamblerd

Which ASUS PC model are you using? (e.g. EeePC 1000)
    Did you contacted ASUS to check if there is any chipset driver update?

Regards

MCITP - EST, EA, EMA
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Hi Mark:

Please, I still need help with this issue, and I have been awaiting your further response.

There HAS to be a way for this to work consistently with my computer.  I was able to get it to work a couple of times, but then it quit again.

I want to be able to tell many of my XP associates that Windows 7 is okay to upgrade to, but if their devices won't work, how can I?

Thank you.
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 11:41 PM
  • I am now aware of over 150 devices that have been orphaned by Windows 7.

I can only suggest pestering your mouse manufacturer for drivers.
    Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:19 AM
  • I am now aware of over 150 devices that have been orphaned by Windows 7.

I can only suggest pestering your mouse manufacturer for drivers.
    I'd love to see that list.  Can you share please?

Is that a list of devices that worked on Vista but don't work on Win7?  Or is it just a list of devices that still function, even though they aren't officially supported by the hardware vendors anymore?

Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Sorry for the delay.  I lost track of this thread.

I'll need you to capture a USB trace for me please.

1) Reboot the machine with the device disconnected

2) Run this command from an elevated command prompt (right click on command prompt shortcut, select "run as administrator"):
    Logman start USBForumTrace -p Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBPORT -o USBForumTrace.etl -ets -nb 128 640 -bs 128

3) Run this command from an elevated command prompt:
    Logman update USBForumTrace -p Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBHUB -ets -nb 128 640 -bs 128

4) Execute your repro scenario (in your case, plug in mouse).

5) After you have a repro of the device not being detected correctly, run this command from an elevated command prompt: 
    Logman stop USBForumTrace -ets

6) Search on the machine for “USBForumTrace.etl”

7) Post that file and c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log on a public folder on http://skydrive.live.com and post the link here.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:09 AM
  • In that trace we saw that transfers to the device were not completing.  So this looks more like a hardware issue right now.

What's the make/model of your PC?

When you connect the device, open device manager and view devices by connection.  Then find the unknown device with the error code.  One level up is a USB root hub, and then a USB Host Controller is a level above that.  Please try moving the device to a different port, one that does not connect to the same USB host controller (there are several controllers in every machine these days).  Unfortunately, there's no way I can tell you which port on the machine to try.  You'll have to discover this through trial & error.

Let me know if you find that it works in some ports but not others.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:08 AM
  • It is an ASUS CM5570.

1) I just plugged in my Evoluent mouse again like you said to, and it actually worked until I clicked something, then the optical light went off on the bottom of the mouse and it stopped working.

2) I just got it to work again!  It's working consistently now for some reason.  Here's the information:

* Under Mice and other pointing devices it shows up with my other mouse that is plugged in under "Mice and other pointing devices."
    * The Evoluent mouse shows up as HID-compliant mouse.
    * The driver version is 6.1.7600.16385 from 6/21/2006.
    * It is associated with two driver files:  windows\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys and windows\system32\DRIVERS\mouhid.sys

3) I just unplugged it and plugged it in again.  It is not working again.

Should I send you a log again?  What's the next step?  I feel like we're almost there.  Perhaps you can identify what needs to happen for it to work.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:17 PM
  • Does it appear to work more often on a particular port than another?  Does it make a difference if there's another device connected to the same host controller (as seen in device manager)?

This is a wired mouse, and not their wireless mouse, right?  Is it possible that there's something wrong with the cable?  Or maybe that in some cases, the cable is sitting like right next to a cell phone, or a power cord or something?  (Really reaching there, just trying to find some sort of pattern :)

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:57 PM
  • It's not the mouse, because it works flawlessly on Windows XP.

There's nothing you can do here?  How about sending me a Microsoft Ergonomic Mouse as a replacement?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Well keep pestering the manufacturer for drivers. My fossil mouse still works after 5 years, its a basic optical mouse.

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, x600, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:32 AM
  • It's not the mouse, because it works flawlessly on Windows XP.

There's nothing you can do here?  How about sending me a Microsoft Ergonomic Mouse as a replacement?

Thanks.

Hi stamblerd,
    Well, a quick visit to the Evoluent web site has this note above the vertical mouse product  http://www.evoluent.com/win7.htm.

Incompatible with Windows 7 until sometime this quarter.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:16 PM
  • I have an idea. Can I send the mouse to you so that you can work on it? If you can't get it to work in person, then there's no way I can use it. Please let me know. I want to be able to tell other people about Windows 7 and if it really has a problem with USB mice or not. Thank you.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:37 PM
  • you're not helpful.  it is microsoft's responsibility to help people with their usb plug and use devices.

i already spoke to the manufacturer.  the mouse is a simple usb device that works on vista.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:39 PM
  • The Windows Vista drivers should work. But I recall you tried the compatibility mode already. This leads me to believe there is some USB problems as you originally mentioned a Logitech product got the mouse to work.

I have noted some USB problems for some users so this is now suspect. use the kludge for now and look for new drivers for the mouse and the motherboard.

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, x600, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:59 PM
  • This problem is all over the Internet without resolution. It affects wireless UI devices, with the Microsoft devices being the biggest offenders. It seems to be more common on Win7 and Asus products.

I replaced a brand new with meter tested batteries Microsoft Wireless Deskset 6000 with a wired Microsoft Media 3000 keyboard which came with a MS Optical Mouse. The first freezes like crazy. The second, with the same ports and same drivers (which recognize both keyboards) works fine.

This is a Microsoft OS to Microsoft driver problem. It may be exasperated by specific hardware or hardware production tolerances. However, the software should NEVER allow it to happen.

This thread and numerous others have posts by Microsoft people who don't understand the problem and don't appear to have a way to escalate it within Microsoft.

If someone with the problem can test the same system with a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse and a Logitech (with Logitech drivers) wireless back-to-back it would be useful. My back-to-back comparison says its is a function of Microsoft's wireless implementation. Whether it is Microsoft specific is the next question.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:20 AM
  • I gave up on wireless, I use a USB mouse and keyboard.

My KVM kind of dictates it, I have several machines all hooked up

My MVP is for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT, and I am getting increasingly good with Visual Studio.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:06 PM
  •  Your problem has most likely been fixed, but i followed your thread redirect, to see if there was a solid fix, or if i could see any relationship with this problem and the problems people are having from the original thread. I just wanted to leave an observation in case someone ends up here with a simalar problem down the road. what i noticed, and i'm most likely wrong, is at the time this usb issue first surfaced. not only was Microsoft busy tweaking thier new OS, hardware manufacturers were dealing with trying to reduce size of cpu dies and motherboard traces. with not being able to reduce size, the current tech wouldn't let them go smaller, the only common way to keep the race going and still increase performane and one-up each other was over-clocking hardware. increased voltages and increased frequencies on same hardware as before.  result is that OS software and device drivers get blamed for system crashes, in part only true because an already taxed system can be made worse by software and drivers with ineffiecient code. so even if hot-fixes and software updates releave the problem i don't think it really addresses the source. Your system has voltage and timing settings for each controller path.  front side bus, cpu, memory, pci, agp, usb and so on. Nvidia is a great company for people who like to tweek thier systems and over-clock. but no info as to how changing one setting effects another. I.E. changing FSB voltages and increasing frequency multipliers is how you over-clock a cpu. but it also affects memory timings. not to much info on what else those settings do to the rest of your system. like change voltage and timing for other hardware channels just like the USB ports. Computer manufatures and re-sellers take that hardware, and push that even further so they run just barely stable with current Operating systems, because they have the consumers best interest in mind >JOKE< . 

The problem wirh USB devices are that most really hate and don't support even small changes to those settings. For the most part its left for software and driver updates to compensate for these changes by running smoother. So what worked fine on Vista or a different OS was because of all the updates and fixes, fewer bugs and better code made up for the system stress. now a new operating system has to conform and work to get the new hardware working and older hardware might be helped but ,for the most part not a priority, support gets left behind.

My take or understanding of whats happening to you is that when you plug your mouse in, it stops functioning. either the bus voltages and timings are just enough out of sync to cause it to fail or the current load that its pulling is enough to cause other hardware to fail, like memory handles being pushed causing I/O errors, harddrive buffers, almost anything. Why mostly 64bit systems and Nvidia chipsets being affected? My guess is that 1) Newer OS and drivers needing refinment. 2) Memory, bandwith, and all kinds of other data are handled differently from 32 to 64bit. 3) Most Nvidia motherboards and chipsets are designed for people who like to over-clock and push hardware settings to the limit. added options in bios or jumpers on the motherboard that other companies could do but leave out or disable to prevent damage by the user. 4)Lastly, why windows is evil.... every USB port is treated as a seperate device, so when you plug your mouse into port 1, of a hub your device needs to be setup and drivers installed. now if you unplug it and connect to port 2, drivers are re-installed and its setup for that port. better said is a new entry is added to the system registry pointing your driver to that location. doing that every time you plug into a different usb port for the first time. Open device manager and view hidden devices and see how much garbage is really left behind for things you might not even use any more. System registry is even worse with entries for programs and hardware long deleted or removed from your system. AND my biggest pet peeve for microsoft ---- I can spend an entire day doing a complete system overhaul and software install, just to spend a week deleting 60% of the software,drivers,and services I NEVER USE or will use. Because they know more then me what i like to use or do. instead of an on demand downloader/installer. Best bet to get your device working is if the company that makes your mouse doesn't have a driver that currently works or is unsupported. Try to reinstall the driver again yourself ( after windows tries to do the auto-install and fails ) by getting the driver download package again from the companies support site or from the disk it came with. its possible the driver on your system is corrupt but still intact and fails, a driver from an old uncompatable mouse install was loaded instead of yours, or windows just thinks it knows better and uses its driver version instead of your firmware driver. last option before stuffing it in a drawer is to get as much detail about it as you can. tech info from the company "the white sheet" and see if you can find a different company that makes a device thats the same. risky using drivers not directly made for that mouse. but a different company might have better software support for thier product that can work on yours. 

Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:59 AM
  •  Sorry i wrote a book, with only one sentence. Microsoft might also want to check its  Uninstall Program and how it removes files shared by more then one resource. worst cases are shared Dll's. Why they make it imposible to download individual dll's or Inf packages from thier website is beyond me. Really? do they intend i do a complete reinstall or deal with rinky dink companies. that charge me a fee to fix errors caused by missing windows files. And a really Big issue that needs looking into are some auto updates over the last few weeks are removing registry entries for shared resources. you can re-nstall the device, with most up to date drivers but because of the missing/empty registry entries the device is auto disabled by windows, pointing to unsigned drivers as the cause. the three main entries emptied are affecting composite bus enumorator / network devices / and soundcards .
    Sunday, July 22, 2012 6:41 AM