none
How to fix system scan error on Windows 8?

Question

• sfc /scannow has verification 52% completed.

It says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.  For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.  Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios."

I try to open the log file, but it says access is denied even though I am logged on as an administrator.

This is an Acer Aspire E1-531 laptop, no operating system DVD came with  it.  I would try to avoid system recovery if possible.  Please help!  Doing system recovery I would at least have to re-install all the third-party software including Microsoft Office which takes time.

Thursday, June 06, 2013 1:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• Healee

It really depends on which files were corrupt.  If the corrupt files were not important (ie skins, themes, etc) you may be able to survive without a repair install.  If the files are important you are going to have to do a repair install.

If you want to upload your cbs.log file to skydrive we can take a look at it,

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Thursday, June 06, 2013 1:37 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the help.

The system seems to work fine apart from the problem I reported on Why are lock screen apps not configurable?

Here is the link to the CBS.log, http://sdrv.ms/12tzK5I

By the way, I remember we used to need to have the operating system CD ready when we do a system scan.  How do we do it with those computers that do not come with the operating system CDs?

Thursday, June 06, 2013 2:05 AM
  • Healee

I think the "for best performance" may be misleading.  I just removed mail for the lock screen apps and afaik it still remained live.  I didnt see anything in CBS that pointed to the lock screen problem but if SFC cant finish (it seemed like it terminated prematurely because of a power setting in auto shutdown) it should eventually be repaired.

You should eventually get an OS dvd (for emergencies if nothing else) and that can be used to do a repair install.

I am wondering if a change in group policy or a malware application might be the reason for the locked screen.  You do have admin rights on your user right?

BTW there is a good KB article on SFC and how to read the CBS.LOG file here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Thursday, June 06, 2013 2:33 AM
  • Open a command prompt with admin rights and run this DISM command to detect and repair corrupted files on the HDD:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

This is the advanced version of sfc /scannow. Windows now downlaods the corrupted files from the Internet instead of telling you that the files can't be repaired.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2012/09/26/fixing-component-store-corruption-in-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by healee Thursday, June 06, 2013 7:43 AM
    Thursday, June 06, 2013 6:02 AM
    Answerer
  • I have done the sfc /scannow twice.  Both times the process stopped at the same percentage point with the same message.  I am doing it the thrid time and see what happens.

I won't need the operating system DVD to do a repair install as the built-in system recovery option porovides for that as well.

The reason I chose for best performance simply because I couldn't think of a better choice.

Thursday, June 06, 2013 6:16 AM
  • run the DISM command I posted

Thursday, June 06, 2013 6:22 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Andre,

I am running the command as you say.

It's just sitting there for a very long time and doesn't show any more activity after the message below.

Deploymenbt Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version 6.2.9200.16384

Image Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Now at long last, it shows 20%.

Can you please tell me roughly how long it would take?  I can't tell if the process is still running.

When I run dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth, it stopped at 20.0% for very long time too.  Eventually I simply closed the command prompt.

Thursday, June 06, 2013 6:58 AM
  • Thanks Andre,

It has fixed the problem.

Thursday, June 06, 2013 7:43 AM
  • Thanks Andre,

It has fixed the problem.

great to hear this :)

Thursday, June 06, 2013 6:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Andre,

By the way, would the DISM command work on XP, Vista and Windows 7?

I am aware that your blog only refers to Windows 8 and server 2012.

Friday, June 07, 2013 2:32 AM
  • no, this only works for 8/2012 (and newer versions in the future).

Friday, June 07, 2013 5:23 AM
    Answerer
  • I followed the same steps but I have the message:

The online/cleanup-image/restorehealth option is unknown.
    For more information, refer to the help by running DISM.exe /?.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

What can I do with this problem?

Oh, and at me found 83 errors.

Friday, April 25, 2014 8:34 AM
  • Hello,

it Looks like you forgot the spaces. The command has to look like this:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Greetings,

Toni

Friday, April 25, 2014 8:37 AM