none
changing user from one domain to another in Windows 7

Question

• I have a windows 7 computer that was previously on one domain under account "olddomain\ltaylor" and I want to join a different domain but keep the same application settings etc. with new id "newdomain\ltaylor23". Is easy transfer the way to do this even though you are on the same computer? (the old moveuser.exe was perfect for this)

Lee

Monday, November 19, 2012 1:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Base on my research, you need to configure on DC.

1. Recreate the users on the new DC.
    2. Move shared data over to new DC and redo the permissions.
    3. Move settings, desktop items, my documents, etc...to new user accounts.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17488

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:44 AM
  • The link you provided is old and refers to windows 2003 and 2000. This is way too much work for something that should be as simple as remarking the SID and file permissions on a user profile. Bring back MoveUser.exe, let's start a movement.

Lee

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:38 PM
  • Hi,

This KB may helpful to you:

How To: Copy User Profiles from One Domain to Another

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242067

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Friday, November 23, 2012 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,
    Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:40 AM
  • As far as I am concerned none of theses answers fit the bill especially since moveuser.exe was so easy to use and did exactly what one would want. There is no need to actually move files when doing an in-place switch (especially when moving from a work group to a domain). I used the easy move and had it copy the files to a USB and then back again under the different user id. It's not as EASY as advertised in that the process was easy but a lot of the settings were not preserved (i.e. outlook/office), which was the goal. Any one can copy files from one document folder to another.

Lee

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:18 PM