none
no disk error in computer management

Question

• I installed Windows 7 on my Sony VGN-TZ170.

It installed beautifull and detected most of my software.  There is, however, one "unknown device"  I thought it had something to do with the card reader so I installed the driver for that from sony.  It installed and rebooted.  everything seemed fine unitl I opened computer managment.  Then I get the error:
    CompMgmtLauncher.exe - No Disk
    X There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert a disk into drive \device\harddis2\dr4.

Options are to Cancel - Try again - Continue.  Try again and continue do not work.

If i click cancel a few times I can eventually use the computer managment. 

I have a single 100GB hd. 
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:57 PM

Answers

• After you get to Computer Management is the Unknown Device gone? Was it the card reader?  If so then most likely will require a driver update from Sony.  Could try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it with Vista Compatibility Mode.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:37 AM

All replies

• After you get to Computer Management is the Unknown Device gone? Was it the card reader?  If so then most likely will require a driver update from Sony.  Could try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it with Vista Compatibility Mode.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:37 AM
  • Same thing happened to me tonight on a custom Clevo laptop. After upating the Intel PM45 chipset driver (last one the Win7 did not recognize). No problems getting into computer management until that point. Now, every time I try to launch the manager (Right-click Computer then Manage) the error pops up. There was no problem installing the drive, and there are no issues listed in device manager. It is looking for a disk in drive D: (my optical drive).
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 2:02 AM
  • I am experiencing the same thing on an HP Compaq 8510p.  I have no issues listed in Device Manager.  Right Click on Computer and the Manage, and looks for the a disk in Drive D: (DVD).  Insert the Windows 7 DVD and it goes away.

Robert Stark MCTS - MOSS 2007 MCTS - WSS 3.0 ---www.thesharepointranch.com --- cas.excell.com
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:42 PM
  • I am also experiencing the same thing with all Windows 7 installation.
    After using <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile> setting in Autounattend.xml,
    after removing CD/DVD media manually, trying to open 'Computer Management' console, the problem always happens.
    For <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile> setting, refer the KB973289.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289/en-us

Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:06 AM
  • I had the same issue with my D: drive (DVD drive) on a laptop image I am working with.  It's Windows 7 as well.  I deleted the drive and rescanned for new devices, it added the D: drive back, and everything was ok.  I'm hoping I can find a way to get the syspreped image corrected, so I don't have to do this on every system post image.

Thanks for the tip on the copyprofile option. I am using this and think this is where my issue came from.  I still need to do this option, so I may have to just make sure everything is working correctly prior to the image start. I'm guessing that I have the DVD drive loaded with something inside and it detected it last time when I created the image...

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:27 PM