none
HDMI audio problem on Windows 7

Question

• I cant get audio with hdmi from Asus F50sv notebook, it currently supports vista and no problem with hdmi audio, but in windows 7 all the drivers looks fine and working, i have the image on tv and i can see there is an outgoing hdmi audio signal but cant hear it.

installed latest drivers from nvidia for gt120m and from asus for audio but these are still vista drivers and problem remains.

If anyone has the same issue or have a solution please reply.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:22 PM

Answers

• Hello, i had the same problem with my HP laptop , i connected it to the sony bravia via the HDMI, and the sound were coming from the laptop, i found the solution of that , the problem that win7 when connect to HDMI don't make the default sound output even if you choose it from the sound icon on the right corner in the task bar, all what i did that i opened the control panel and clicked on "Hardware and Sound" then click on "Sound", then right click the HDMI and choose "set it as default",  (i know it may sound stupid, but that what happend with me)

hope it will work with you too.
    Thanks Ahmed Nasr
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:25 AM

All replies

• I cant get audio with hdmi from Asus F50sv notebook, it currently supports vista and no problem with hdmi audio, but in windows 7 all the drivers looks fine and working, i have the image on tv and i can see there is an outgoing hdmi audio signal but cant hear it.

installed latest drivers from nvidia for gt120m and from asus for audio but these are still vista drivers and problem remains.

If anyone has the same issue or have a solution please reply.

Hi

Did you install the Vista drivers using the compatibility mode options?

HOW TO: Install a Hardware Device Driver using Compatibility Mode

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Hello,

First you might keep windows update regularly to obtain the latest driver for your device. Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

Friday, July 17, 2009 7:10 AM
  • Hello, i had the same problem with my HP laptop , i connected it to the sony bravia via the HDMI, and the sound were coming from the laptop, i found the solution of that , the problem that win7 when connect to HDMI don't make the default sound output even if you choose it from the sound icon on the right corner in the task bar, all what i did that i opened the control panel and clicked on "Hardware and Sound" then click on "Sound", then right click the HDMI and choose "set it as default",  (i know it may sound stupid, but that what happend with me)

hope it will work with you too.
    Thanks Ahmed Nasr
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Hello,

Windows is up to date and i have reinstalled the drivers in compatibility mode as you said, also repeated the whole procedure with XP compatibility mode, User Access Control turned off and with the latest Realtek drivers for windows 7, even tried updating the driver with oldest have disk method. Also tried with disabling other output options and setting hdmi to default just to make sure there is no conflict. Antivirus program was disabled too. I guess i have to wait a little more until an update or a new driver is released.

Thank you all for your time and help.

Friday, July 17, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Hi I am just wondering if you ever solved this issue.  I have the identical Laptop and am having the exact same luck.  I have tried all of the above plus I tried downloading the Dolby Digital Control Center and mucked around with those settings. But Alas I am without any success.  So if you ever were able to get this HDMI issue resolved I would love to know how you accomplished it.

Also I don't even know if it exists but is there such thing as a virtual loopback tester for HDMI???

Sunday, August 08, 2010 5:24 AM
  • I just encountered this same problem and found that the suggestion given by Ahmed Nasr above worked perfectly.  I just made the HDMI output sound device the default and the audio switched from the Laptop to the TV.  Netflix has never looked and sounded so good!  :)
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 6:01 AM
  • execuse me

I have the same problem you've explained

however when I went to the sounds in the control panel to set the sony tv default

I only found the speakers of the laptop

I right clicked to show the disabled devises but still nothing appeared

please help!!!!!

Friday, May 06, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Thanks a ton. It worked like a charm !
    Friday, September 30, 2011 2:45 AM
  • I'm having the same problem - Sony TV is set to default under playback devices, picture is on the TV but no sound coming from the TV.  I have all the latest drivers for nvidia graphics card, nvidia hdmi audio also....  Help!
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:01 AM