none
Windows 7 / Folder (or Drive) synchronization

Question

• I would like to know how I can sync (real time) data between two windows 7 computers.

Either Folder or Drive would help. I tried Sync Toy But I need auto synchronization not scheduled syncs.

both PC's are on the same LAN - I do not want or need to sync via INTERNET.

TIA! :)

• Moved by Destinie B. [MSFT] Tuesday, May 04, 2010 5:29 PM (From:Microsoft Online Services Customer Portal)
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 4:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi NETCRAMMER,

It is possible to sync data between two computers running Windows 7.

What you need is to have both computers with Windows 7 Pro or above.

Second is enable Offline files from Control Panel of one of the computers then enable sharing for folder /s you want to sync.

All above is actually briefly discribtion and you need or required more specific details and steps let me know I will post one.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, MCAS, Getronics UK
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:25 PM
  • I have Windows 7 Home Premium on both pc's. Any other solutions?
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:47 PM
  • Hi,

I have got two more solutions:

While ago, one of my friend asked me to solve files sharing and sync between Vista and Apple Mac. I decieded to install an External Network Hard Drive. It may be right solution for you as well:

1. all files and folders are stored on external drive. So, their are accessible anytime and if one PC has opened a file second PC will be notified whenever accessing it. This method works perfectly, whenever you need independed storage file and avoid any PC to be a host file.

2. Cheaper solution is use Microsoft SyncToy 2.0. Please, find below link to Microsoft site to download it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

and, link below: how to install and setup SyncToy:

http://windows7news.com/2009/12/19/synchronize-your-windows7-files-and-folders-using-synctoy/

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, MCAS
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Have a look at windows live sync - http://www.foldershare.com/
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:32 PM
  • To anyone finding this thread as I did..

I have been using Karen's Replicator for years, but it doesn't support folder exclusions. Synch Toy does allow for folder filters, but it doesn't have a built in scheduler and the Windows one is way too complex for it's own good.

I have just been testing four other progs and stumbled upon this one.. "Synchredible" that appears to have been released this January, does all I need  and more. The menu's are intuative and simple to use and clean and efficient, very German! (in the good way!).. 

I am running a first test on it right now, copying 74,000 files, combined size of over 1TB. It seems to getting a real move on!!

Did I mention that it was free for non-commercial use?

Mike :)

• Proposed as answer by mikenco Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:21 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:20 PM
  • SyncToy is broken.  The Echo option doesn't delete files on the "right side".  If you are going to be deleting files and want those files to be removed from the second folder, dont' waste your time with synctoy.  MS has stated it is "as-is software" and they don't appear to be movtivated to fix it.  If you google around, you'll see everyone has this problem

I've tried karen's, bestsync, beyond compare and a few others.  Beyond compare is decent, but a lot of functionality I don't need or care about personally.  I really wish synctoy worked.  Clean, easy interface and if it worked, it would do exactly what I need done.  Shame.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 5:46 AM