none
Logon screen resolution

Question

• How do you change the resolution of the logon screen before anyone has logged in? I have 2 PCs that both run at 1280x1024 but without being logged in the icons with the user accounts are smaller on one than the other. Or is this the text size? Either way how do you change for the PC? Is it using the Admin account for settings before a person logs in?
    Friday, September 03, 2010 7:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

You can try the following suggestions to set the font size on the welcome screen to 100% / 125% / 150%:

First, refer to this article to backup the registry key: Back up the registry

Once the registry key is backed up, move on to modify the registry key:

1.     Click the "Start" button, type "regedit" (without quotation marks) in the "Search" bar, right click on the "regedit.exe" found in the list and then click "Run as administrator".

2.     Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Fonts

3.     Right click the Fonts entry on the left pane, choose "Export", select "Desktop" in the "Save in" box and type "backup" (without quotation marks) in "File Name". Click "Save".

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named "backup.reg". We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the "backup.reg" file.

4.     Double click LogPixels entry on the right pane, change the value to 60. (100%)

Also, you can change it to the following values:

78 (125%)

90 (150%)

5.     Exit the registry key editor and then log off the user to check the issue.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:23 AM
  • AWESOME, that did it! Thank you

Minor note for anyone that finds this later.

78 is 120%

7D is 125% - what I used

Thursday, September 09, 2010 4:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

The issue should be related to the display card driver. Please install the latest display card driver for Windows 7 and see if the issue can be resolved.

If the issue persists, could you please let us know the brand and model of the display card? If the computer is an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) one, please provide its brand and model as well.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 06, 2010 6:50 AM
  • Thanks,

Its not really an issue I just thought there was a way to change it. They dont have the same exact video card in them and the one that has a better card in it has the smaller resolution (I have 5 other logon accounts). Both resolutions are workable - just different and was trying to figure out how to change the default. 1 shows the text size default as small and the other the default as medium, but I selected small on it to get the desktops to look the same when logged in.

So is there a way to change the non logged in desktop resolution/text size on the logon screen or is it only a funciton of the defaults for the video card?

Thanks

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Hi Michael,

You can try the following suggestions to set the font size on the welcome screen to 100% / 125% / 150%:

First, refer to this article to backup the registry key: Back up the registry

Once the registry key is backed up, move on to modify the registry key:

1.     Click the "Start" button, type "regedit" (without quotation marks) in the "Search" bar, right click on the "regedit.exe" found in the list and then click "Run as administrator".

2.     Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Fonts

3.     Right click the Fonts entry on the left pane, choose "Export", select "Desktop" in the "Save in" box and type "backup" (without quotation marks) in "File Name". Click "Save".

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named "backup.reg". We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the "backup.reg" file.

4.     Double click LogPixels entry on the right pane, change the value to 60. (100%)

Also, you can change it to the following values:

78 (125%)

90 (150%)

5.     Exit the registry key editor and then log off the user to check the issue.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:23 AM
  • AWESOME, that did it! Thank you

Minor note for anyone that finds this later.

78 is 120%

7D is 125% - what I used

Thursday, September 09, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Glad to hear the issue is resolved. :-)
    Friday, September 10, 2010 2:55 AM
  • Hi.

It is not really the answer to the question though. Is there a way to change the resolution on the logon screen (for me on windows server 2012. I set it too high during installation, and can't find anywhere to change it afterwards)For me the problem is, that I set it to 1600x1200.. and my monitor won't support the resolution, so I can't see the logon screen.

I loaned a different monitor, that does support the resolution.. but I need to change it back.. there must be a way?

Best Regards

Peter

Wednesday, July 02, 2014 7:11 AM