none
Windows VPN: Error 720 - A connection to the remote computer could not be established

Question

• Dear all

I have a windows7 Laptop 64bit Dell 1340.

I was working with a UMTS card, was connected with a VPN to a windows 2003 server over PPTP and experienced a bluescreen. After this, I have the following errors when connecting to the VPN:

"Registering your computer on the network... Error 720: A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection"

and in the event view I receive the following:

EventID: 1, Source RasSstp

CoId={A3478DFD-FFA4-4E8F-9DA3-CE829BDA777B}:The initial Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol request could not be successfully sent to the server. This can be due to network connectivity issues or certificate (trust) issues. The detailed error message is provided below. Correct the problem and try again.

I tried to use the Rarepair.exe tool but it looks to work only on windows xp. I deleted the IP and TCP settings without any luck.

I run a registry cleaner as well with out any luck.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Marc

Sunday, April 04, 2010 8:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Since it worked previously, a quick solution is to run System Restore and get back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur.

If system restore doesn’t help, please also try the following:

1.    Check if you can establish the VPN via other connections except the connection through the UMTS card.

2.    Reset the PPTP and L2TP WAN miniport with running the following commands one by one in an elevated command prompt:

Netcfg -u MS_L2TP

Netcfg -u MS_PPTP

Netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i MS_PPTP

Netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i MS_L2TP

Then reboot the computer and see how it works.

Meanwhile, I would like to share the following with you for your reference:

Troubleshooting common VPN related errors

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Marc Loeb Tuesday, April 06, 2010 10:31 AM
    Monday, April 05, 2010 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since it worked previously, a quick solution is to run System Restore and get back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur.

If system restore doesn’t help, please also try the following:

1.    Check if you can establish the VPN via other connections except the connection through the UMTS card.

2.    Reset the PPTP and L2TP WAN miniport with running the following commands one by one in an elevated command prompt:

Netcfg -u MS_L2TP

Netcfg -u MS_PPTP

Netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i MS_PPTP

Netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i MS_L2TP

Then reboot the computer and see how it works.

Meanwhile, I would like to share the following with you for your reference:

Troubleshooting common VPN related errors

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Marc Loeb Tuesday, April 06, 2010 10:31 AM
    Monday, April 05, 2010 9:10 AM
  • Hi Nicholas

Thanks so much for your help. Unfortunately deinsalling reinstalling the miniports do not help - the error persists. On my dell laptop I have an hardware  error on the harddrive as well - therefore I will install windows7 again on this machine.

Regards,

Marc

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 10:31 AM
  • Hi Marc,

I am sorry that you have reinstalled Windows 7. I am sorry for the convenience.

Hope the information and what you experienced will benefit many other users; we really value having you as a Microsoft customer.

In the future, if you experience any issues regarding our products, you are welcome to post a new thread in our forum. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks again.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 2:51 AM
  • Hi Nicholas

I have exactly the same problem of "Error 720: A Connection to the remote computer could not be established".

I get this error when I connect my USB wireless modem to access internet.

The modem works perfectly on other laptops - but fails only on the laptop with Windows 7.

My laptop is HP Pavilion DV6 Series.

I tried the above solution of reinstalling the miniports - but of no use.

Any help in resolving this issue would be appreciated.

Monday, July 05, 2010 12:47 PM
  • I tried connecting manually by configuring the dialup and still got the same error - now I have the entire log file. If needed I can send/upload the log file for any debugging purposes for this error. This error seems to be rather unique one and unfortunately for me reinstalling OS is not an option. Hence am stuck.

Monday, July 05, 2010 1:11 PM
  • check your firewall - does it forward the vpn request to the correct IP and does it allow VPN traffic through?

Software developer

Friday, December 27, 2013 5:55 PM