none
WMP Bug

Question

• I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and the 32-bit version of Windows Media Player 12. The computer is connected to the internet, has been receiving automatic updates for over a year, and is still currently set to receive automatic updates.

Also, I have my taskbar located at the top of my screen and it is locked.

When i start WMP (usually by pressing the Start key, typing the name of an audio file, then pressing the Enter key), it often positions the window such that its title bar is overlapped by the taskbar. Clicking the side of the window repositions it directly underneath the taskbar. I've attached a photo for clarification.

Obviously, this makes it impossible to access the the Close, Maximize, and Minimize buttons without an additional step.

I've experienced the same problem on many computers with Windows 7, for many, many months, if not years.

Can someone please fix it?

Friday, February 03, 2012 4:53 AM

All replies

• Why do you have the Taskbar set to be double the normal height?

Try these things:

1.  Make the Media Player the current app (i.e., click its icon in the Taskbar if it's not already current), press Alt-spacebar, M, then the down arrow key on your keyboard to move the Media Player window down.  Now close it and reopen it.  Does it open at the location you last closed it (i.e., below the Taskbar)?

2.  Unlock the Taskbar, and drag its bottom edge so that it is only the height of one of the icons (this is assuming you don't have it double-height by preference).

3. Try setting the Taskbar to Auto Hide (that's how I prefer to use mine, which I also keep on top).  This allows you to use the screen all the way to the top edge for applications while you're not using the Taskbar.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Saturday, February 04, 2012 2:32 PM
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Thanks, Noel. I tried Step 1, and the keystrokes moved the Media Player down, however, when I reopened the Media Player, it didn't remember my new positioning, and its title bar was overlapped by the Taskbar.

I tried Step 2, because I use double-height by preference, and, even with a single-height Taskbar, when I reopened Media Player, the problem still persisted.

I tried Step 3, and Media Player started at the very top of the screen, not overlapped by the Taskbar unless the cursor was scrolled to the top of the screen.

With my Taskbar back at double-height, and auto-hide unchecked, the Media Player now seems to remember the positioning from Step 3 (top of the screen), which is even higher than original!

I should probably mention that when opening Windows Media Player itself, there are no positioning issues.

The only time the positioning issue arises is when opening the Media Player by double-clicking an audio or video file, or, as I normally do, pressing the Start key, typing the name of an audio file, making sure its highlighted in the Start Menu (usually by pressing the Up Arrow key), then pressing the Enter key.

I thought it might be a problem unique to my computer, however, I get the same results from my girl friend's Windows 7 laptop (which also has the Taskbar positioned at the top of the screen) when I double-click video files.

My theory is that ntuser.dat files aren't receiving data updates for window positioning WMP when it is executed by opening media files. The computer knows to position it correctly when I open WMP by clicking the WMP program executable, but it's confused about what to do when I open media files associated with WMP.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Please post :)

Saturday, February 04, 2012 4:43 PM
  • I just realized something: Windows remembers the window position but it opens the window approximately one inch above where it was last located the last time it was closed.

Saturday, February 04, 2012 10:51 PM
  • That could be a display driver issue, or something messing with your desktop metrics.  You don't happen to have a "skinning" program on your system do you - e.g., StarDock WindowBlinds?  Those have been seen to screw up the metrics.  Another thing you could do is check online for updated display drivers - sometimes display drivers fix things like this.

-Noel

Sunday, February 05, 2012 4:24 AM
  • I just made a new user account and tested it.  I intermittently saw the same thing.  Almost 100% of the time.

One time it even positioned about an inch too far to the right (instead of under the taskbar).  That was especially weird.

You have WMP set to not-maximized, but sized to the full available desktop height (minus taskbar), right?

I even saw the issue with the taskbar set to single height.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 11:42 AM
  • Here's another thread on this subject:

Problems with top of window being hid/blocked by Taskbar on top of screen (Window 7)

"I don't experience this with all applicaitons. Only certains ones. In particular, Windows Media Player gives me this problem."

"just like to say, it's not just you.  I've had this same problem and other users have also."

"I have this problem too."

• Edited by ᅠᅠᅠ Sunday, February 05, 2012 12:04 PM
    Sunday, February 05, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Carboni, I have come to realize that if you or Keene or Aldwinckle appear on the scene to deny a bug, then it is assured it can be repro'd in under 60 seconds.

• Edited by ᅠᅠᅠ Sunday, February 05, 2012 1:09 PM
    Sunday, February 05, 2012 12:11 PM
  • Carboni, I have come to realize that if you or Keene or Aldwinckle appear on the scene to deny a bug

Excuse me, but who's denying anything here?  I am quite convinced that gmanonemillion is seeing a bona fide problem and I'm just suggesting things that can help.  Please show me where I've denied any problem here.

I use Windows Media Player all the time, and for me it starts in the same place each time.  Why?  Something I have set on my system causes it to work differently than gmanonemillion's and your systems.  I have set my system up in ways that make things work better. 

If you see someone struggling with something that works okay for you, don't you try to determine why, and ultimately help?  If not, why are you here? 

I always use the Auto-Hide function of the TaskBar (note:  my suggestion number 3 in my first response), and so there's not this arbitrary "relocate desktop items downward" change to the desktop metrics being done by Windows under the covers.

Please try this:  Set your Taskbar to auto-hide, leave it on that setting, and see whether Windows Media Player stops marching up the screen by exactly the height of its title bar each time you open it.

There are other ways to run media player so that it doesn't move...  For example opening it on a second monitor (without Taskbar) if you have one averts the issue, since there's no "magic" manipulation of the desktop metrics on the second monitor.  And of course it doesn't happen if you put the Taskbar on the bottom.

It's always nice to have your input, Mr. Three-Box, though I'm hard-pressed to understand why you try to be confrontational.   I've acknowledged before that you're good at reproducing failures - so why don't you chill out and work to help people discover how to work around those failures and make things work better instead of constantly fixating on what's wrong?  Don't look now, but Microsoft just isn't fixing things in Windows 7.  Many of these things they have surely known about since the public beta of Windows 7.

Oh, and by the way, this is still broken in the Windows 8 DP if you put your Taskbar on top and don't use auto-hide.  Mr. Three-Box, did you take the time to reproduce it there and send a report to Microsoft, using their feedback tool?  I did.

-Noel

Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:39 PM
  • I was also able to reproduce the behaviour, and it does seem to be triggered by a very particular set of conditions (described in the original post) so I'd say we have a confirmed bug.

So, on the the workaround...

You already found that a single click on the WMP side border caused the window to move down out from under the taskbar.

The Alt+F4 keyboard shortcut still works to close the window in a single step.

I also found that if I make the window shorter so that the bottom of the window stays well clear of the bottom of the screen (more than the height of thee taskbar) the problem disapears. This may be the best workaround until the underlying bug gets fixed.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Thanks for the replies. :)

I don't have any skinning programs installed.

I enabled auto-hide, then I made a shortcut of a .wav file on my desktop. I double-clicked it and used Alt-F4 to close the window, then repeated the process many times. You were right! With auto-hide enabled, the window opens with correct memory of where it was last closed.

I disabled auto-hide, and opened/closed my shortcut many times again, and the problem was back.

Also, as a result of a few experiments, I noticed the following behaviour:

With Taskbar at left of desktop, and auto-hide disabled: WMP moves toward Taskbar.

With Taskbar at left of desktop, and auto-hide enabled: WMP doesn't move toward Taskbar.

Right and bottom seem to work normally.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Sorry, I forgot one of the questions.

I use double-height because it displays the time, day of week, and date. Single-height only displays the time and date.

Also, aesthetically, the Start button is surrounded by the transparency of the Taskbar on all sides, which I find more pleasing to the eye. With single-height, the Start button is only surrounded by the transparency on its left and right, but not top and bottom.

The reason I don't use auto-hide is because it seems quicker to navigate between running applications with it disabled. This is helpful for my college courses because it allows me to switch between Notepad, Paint, Internet Explorer, and course-specific programs such as Packet Tracer.

For example, I use Notepad for a subnet chart, Packet Tracer for my virtual  network (not VLAN, just a network training program), Internet Explorer for the website I submit my completed work, and Paint for anything that requires me to copy the screen or window (i.e. PrintScreen, Alt-PrintScreen).

• Edited by Greg 4956 Sunday, February 05, 2012 11:40 PM
    Sunday, February 05, 2012 11:28 PM
  • I too am suspicious of display drivers. However, my gut is leaning toward bad WMP default registry entries in the ntuser.dat files that happen during installation of the program, or perhaps during the installation of the OS itself. I can't remember if WMP comes bundled with Windows 7 or not.

I have an ATI HD 5400 Series video card in my desktop computer.

The laptop I mentioned that has the identical problem, uses integrated ATI graphics.

If my WMP came bundled with the OS, I suppose uninstalling it, then downloading and installing WMP might be a worthy troubleshooting tactic.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 11:39 PM
  • Your preferences are certainly reasonable, and it's a shame that Windows doesn't work right with that particular combination.  I've been using Windows now for a long time with the Taskbar on top, but with Auto-Hide enabled, and even though I don't see the Taskbar full time I don't find I lose track of windows very often.  All I can say is that it's something you can get used to.  One other thing I have tweaked is a registry entry that speeds up the display of the Taskbar Live Previews, so I find it pretty quick to slide up there and see an overview of what's running.

I hope I didn't come across as critical of your preference choices...  I help a lot of folks, some of whom are VERY non-techincal - to the point that they don't know why certain things are the way they are.  I have a neighbor I helped with a bunch of system problems not long ago, and he had a whole bunch of stuff in non-default configurations, including taskbars on both the bottom and top of the screen (the top one was double-sized like yours).  I asked him why and he said he both didn't know how the top taskbar got there nor why it was the size it was.  I ask whether things I see that are atypical are that way intentionally.

-Noel

Sunday, February 05, 2012 11:53 PM
  • I didn't think you were being critical. I was reading the thread, and I noticed you asked a question about the Taskbar height that I missed, so I posted a reply for it.

I included the info about my auto-hide preference because I thought you might be curious. That registry edit sounds pretty cool.

I wish I knew a way to fix it, or report it to Microsoft somehow. I thought there used to be a website for it, but I can't find one.

I appreciate everyone's help so far. :)

There are only two Windows 7 bugs I know of, and this is one of them. I reported the other one long ago, and it hasn't been fixed. This is unrelated, but the other bug is this: When I download a file using Internet Explorer 9, open the Download Manager, then exit the browser, leaving the Download Manager open, the green progress indication for the Download Manager on the Taskbar dissappears.

(sigh) Two simple problems + no simple bug reporting method = Every Windows 7/Internet Explorer/WMP consumer on planet Earth subject to functionality that doesn't meet basic consumer expectations.

I think Windows 7 is a great OS, and I think Microsoft did a good job on it. But, I also believe they should be held accountable for these flaws. If I had a whistle to blow in a public forum full of Windows 7/ie9/wmp users, I would blow that whistle loud and without hesitation. :)

Currently, these are my only two complaints about the Microsoft personal computer experience, because these are the only two flaws I've found that can't be troubleshooted away, and they are persistent as a result of flaw within the code itself.

Occasional anomalous problems with Microsoft software that can be corrected don't bother me too much. I can find solutions to these kinds of problems. I can't fix the code, though, because I'm not trained for computer programming.

:) Sorry, everyone, for my rant. lol

P.S. If you're reading this, and you know someone who works at Microsoft, have that person prioritize these issues, please. :)

lol

• Edited by Greg 4956 Monday, February 06, 2012 5:35 AM
    Monday, February 06, 2012 1:15 AM
  • I spoke with a Microsoft employee about the bugs. He was able to reproduce the WMP problem, and told me that he believed it was probably an error within the code itself, and that it would probably take some time to fix.

He told me he would submit a bug report about the WMP bug.

He also told me he was aware of the IE9 bug, so a bug report about that bug may have already been submitted in the past.

If anyone has any ideas or a link to a Microsoft FixIt, kb article, or regedit, that may help, please post it on this thread.

Thanks for the posts and views, everyone. Feel free to post any information or questions you have about these issues on this thread. :)

I look forward to the day that the only two major code flaws in Windows 7 that I've ever found, get corrected.

:)

• Edited by Greg 4956 Monday, February 06, 2012 4:09 PM
    Monday, February 06, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, the scenario you described is existent.  But we can avoid it.

When your previous file which is closed at the position that is overlapped by taskbar, the WMP window will be opened at the original position if you open another file.(It has the prerequisite condition.)
    When I reproduced your scenario, I set the taskbar location at top of the screen and opened a film which was overlapped by the taskbar.

method one(you have mentioned it):
    Please move your mouse and hang it at the side of WMP window. You would see that the mouse become a double-arrows shape. Click and then the WMP window would move out of the taskbar. The minimize, maximize and close buttons appear.

method two:
    Please right-click taskbar, and click "cascade windows". The WMP window and other windows which are running will appear, of course they are all out of the taskbar.  In other words, no window will be overlapped by taskbar.

If you think that there are additional steps with the above methods. The following WMP opening method may avoid it.

(Of course, the follow method is only suitable to open the WMP via taskbar WMP thumbnail or start men even if your taskbar is at the top side of the screen.)
    Please try to reset your taskbar at bottom of the screen first, and then move the WMP window down and close it to avoid being overlapped by the taskbar which is at top of the screen. So the WMP window would not be overlapped by taskbar even if it is at top of the screen.
    In this way, there is no additional step.

Pay more attention to that, if you always open WMP by double-click files, I find that the WMP windows would move up every time until it reach the top side. This happens only when your taskbar is at the top of the screen but does not happen when taskbar is at bottom. 

Hope that helps.

Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:57 AM
  • Thanks, Ivan.

Any thoughts on the IE9 bug I mentioned above?

Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:31 AM
  • Windows 8 Consumer Preview has the same WMP and IE bugs. In other words, neither of the bugs I previously mentioned have been addressed, either for Windows 7 or Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Although unrelated, it seems that, because of the similarity of Windows 8 Consumer Preview to Windows 7 and the fact that both the IE and WMP bugs exist on both operating systems, Windows 8 may be a slightly modified form of Windows 7, i.e., Windows 8 is Windows 7 with a few modifications.

• Edited by Greg 4956 Monday, March 19, 2012 3:16 AM
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Windows 8 Consumer Preview has the same WMP and IE bugs

Doesn't look like they've paid too much attention to making things on the desktop better in Windows 8, frankly (though as a bright spot they have done a few good things to Windows Explorer).

The same workarounds mentioned above - e.g., setting the Taskbar to Auto-Hide - still work in Windows 8 CP.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook:  
    In development:

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:40 PM
  • Win8 is a two-edged sword. It helps me be more efficient in some ways, however, it reduces my efficiency in other ways.

Example: I press Start, then start typing an app, setting, or file I want. In Win7, I can usually just press Enter at this point. In Win8, it is not uncommon to have to press Down Arrow multiple times then press Enter multiple times, instead of just pressing Enter, because of their new little list: "Apps, Settings, Files"

• Edited by Greg 4956 Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:25 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:28 PM