none
How to ensure the disk controller is enabled in the computers bios.

Question

• I am trying to install windows 7 in laptop that has only been turned on 3 times until this week since new and it would not open windows 7 so after days of trying to get it right with the disk that came with it, I decided to buy a new windows 7 disk. I had already formatted the hard drive before I received the new disk, so somehow I have now only got the one partition showing, and it did have 2 small partitions + main one, I do not know how to partition it and after no end of attempts to install windows, I am not succeeding. I get a message telling me to ensure disk controller is enabled in the computers bios, but have been unable to find where it is in the bios to check it, also have had message that it cannot install as cannot partition hard drive, can someone please help as I really haven't got a clue when it comes to the bios.
    Monday, November 18, 2013 4:18 PM

Answers

• To setup your laptop hardware and BIOS to install Windows 7 requires information printed in the User Manual for your laptop and is usually somewhat unique to each manufacturer.  If you do not have your User Manual go to the laptop manufacturer's support website where you can download the manual and most of the laptop manufacturers also have user support forums where you can ask questions about your hardware.  Also, you can contact the manufacturer's Technical Support for assistance.

The laptop manufacturer is responsible for the hardware support you are seeking at this time and is included in the warranty you paid for when you purchased your laptop.  Your warranty also includes assistance with all Windows support during the warranty period.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Rick Dee.

In addition, this problem occurs because Windows 7 cannot distinguish between ambiguous hard disks.

In versions of Microsoft Windows Setup that are earlier than Windows 7 Setup, hard disks are marked with distinct values to distinguish them. However, this method of distinguishing hard disks is no longer supported because of the potential for data corruption on hard disks.

Do you have more than one hard drive connected to your computer?

If you have two hard drives, remove the second hard drive and continue with the installation.

If that does not work, try to format the C: drive while installing the Windows 7 operating system.

You need to select the “format” option from “advanced” within Windows7 installation.

Click on the link below for more information.

Error message when you try to install Windows 7 on a computer that has uninitialized hard disks: "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925481

The procedure is same for windows 7.

I also suggest you to contact the computer manufacturer to change the BIOS settings and check if there is updated BIOS.

Please Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it works.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:19 AM

All replies

• To setup your laptop hardware and BIOS to install Windows 7 requires information printed in the User Manual for your laptop and is usually somewhat unique to each manufacturer.  If you do not have your User Manual go to the laptop manufacturer's support website where you can download the manual and most of the laptop manufacturers also have user support forums where you can ask questions about your hardware.  Also, you can contact the manufacturer's Technical Support for assistance.

The laptop manufacturer is responsible for the hardware support you are seeking at this time and is included in the warranty you paid for when you purchased your laptop.  Your warranty also includes assistance with all Windows support during the warranty period.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Rick Dee.

In addition, this problem occurs because Windows 7 cannot distinguish between ambiguous hard disks.

In versions of Microsoft Windows Setup that are earlier than Windows 7 Setup, hard disks are marked with distinct values to distinguish them. However, this method of distinguishing hard disks is no longer supported because of the potential for data corruption on hard disks.

Do you have more than one hard drive connected to your computer?

If you have two hard drives, remove the second hard drive and continue with the installation.

If that does not work, try to format the C: drive while installing the Windows 7 operating system.

You need to select the “format” option from “advanced” within Windows7 installation.

Click on the link below for more information.

Error message when you try to install Windows 7 on a computer that has uninitialized hard disks: "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925481

The procedure is same for windows 7.

I also suggest you to contact the computer manufacturer to change the BIOS settings and check if there is updated BIOS.

Please Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it works.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:19 AM