none
Blue Screen in standard and safe mode, how to repair?

Question

• I've been running Win7 64 for a few weeks now, and it's been fairly stable.  I had one blue screen a while back while running farcry2, but restart had no trouble.  Then last week, I had another crash in farcry2 and blue screen.  A normal restart seemed fine, so I restarted the game and experienced the same crash.  The second blue screen restart then caused a blue screen on boot up of windows.  At that point, I was not able to do a normal mode boot, so I booted in to safe mode, once, then safe mode with networking to check for known solutions.  The solutions search seemed to run for a few seconds, then it disappears with no further dialogs.

At that point, I decided to run a drive check on C:, and selected it.  Windows told me that it would be done on the next restart, so I shutdown and restarted.  I let it try a normal mode boot, and the disk check ran.  It look like it was successful, but then it continued to try and boot windows in normal mode and blue screened as before.

Next, I tried to re-enter safe mode, but safe mode now blue screens also.  This is kind of entertaining.... since now it will sit there and blue screen, log memory to disk, reboot, prompt for safe mode, I select safe mode, it blue screens.... etc...

I booted from my install media, went to repair my computer, and ran startup repair.  It tells me 'if you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable media player, remove it and restart'.  I don't have anything newly attached.  I had a pair of USB devices plugged in, one I could detach, the other is the win7 install media on usb drive.

What can I do next to repair this system?  Thanks in advance.

Some additional info... I am suspicious that the nvidia driver on this system is corrupt, as the file shown on the bsod dump is something like nvlddmkm.sys.  Is there a way to revert the video driver without entering safe or normal mode?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:56 PM

Answers

• Hi CobraPA,

Can you perhaps boot to a system recovery CMD prompt, run bcdedit /enum to get the ID of the boot entry, and turn on VGA?

bcdedit /set {noted GUID}vga on

Then try booting, to use the standard VGA driver.

What was the stop code, and the additional parameters, associated with the bugcheck?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:30 AM
  • Actually, that did help.  Now safe mode is bootable again.  I've uninstalled the existing nvidia drivers and going to see if a reinstall recovers things.  Thanks for the tip!

That was enough to get me going.  The nvidia drivers blue screened again on install, but safe mode was still working.  This system had 2 nvidia cards in sli.  Removing one solved the problem with installing.  I'll need to swap the other one in to see if there is a dead video card or something else going on.

Thank you!
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hi CobraPA,

Can you perhaps boot to a system recovery CMD prompt, run bcdedit /enum to get the ID of the boot entry, and turn on VGA?

bcdedit /set {noted GUID}vga on

Then try booting, to use the standard VGA driver.

What was the stop code, and the additional parameters, associated with the bugcheck?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:30 AM
  • With my usb install media boot, it looks like the bcdedit /enum info is for the usb boot, not the c: boot.  Is there a parameter to make it look at another root drive?

I used the F8 startup and was able to turn off automatic restart.  Now I can see the stop code:

0x116 (0xfffffa8ooc6031b0, 0xfffff880048a0f30, 0x0, 0x2)

nvlddmkm.sys then some address and base info, and a datestamp

Some further info... I found I can boot the cmd prompt from the c: drive (repair computer on the F8 menu)

I then was able to use the command you suggested.  The only displayed GUID does not support the vga on command, but

bcdedit /set {default} vga on

was succesful.  However, it made no diffference in the next normal mode boot.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Actually, that did help.  Now safe mode is bootable again.  I've uninstalled the existing nvidia drivers and going to see if a reinstall recovers things.  Thanks for the tip!

That was enough to get me going.  The nvidia drivers blue screened again on install, but safe mode was still working.  This system had 2 nvidia cards in sli.  Removing one solved the problem with installing.  I'll need to swap the other one in to see if there is a dead video card or something else going on.

Thank you!
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:53 AM
  • You're welcome, CobraPA - good to hear you're making progress!

Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:53 AM