none
Windows 8 shuts down unexpetedly on power

Question

• Recently upgraded my HP Pavilion DV5 laptop from Windows Vista which was workgin fine for last 3 years to Windows 8 pro. Upgrade went smooth without any issues. However the laptop disk shuts down (similar to hibernate) after every 5 to 10 minutes on power as well as battery. The fan is working fine and I am also using cooling pad as AMD processor had some overheating issues even with Vista. I checked the hibernate and other power options which look okay.

Any suggestions to fix this issue?

Monday, December 03, 2012 8:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• Check event viewer and see if there is any log, error or warning during the time that issue happen?

Is there any bluescreen or error when error happen?

Try update your Windows and also check action center and see if there is any message there?

Visit HP website and install latest drivers for your laptop.

Monday, December 03, 2012 12:17 PM
  • Thanks for replying. In event viewer there are many entries stating "The system was hibernated due to a critical thermal event at .... time. ACPI Thermal Zone=\_TZ.THRM

_HOT=373K

So I think this is related to system temperature going too high. Is there any setting to ignore such event and avoid hibernation? What do you recommend?

This AMD processor system has been having overheating issue right from day one, however it used to run with Vista.

Monday, December 03, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

373 K = 100°C = 212°F.

That's boiling water temperature, a LOT for a laptop.

Either your laptop has refrigeration issues (typically from its CPU fan) or its CPU usage under W8 turned out to be too high for excessively long periods.

It's easy to identify it's either an OS issue or a hardware one.

Boot from any Linux live CD (for example Ubuntu 12.10 desktop) and keep your machine on for a couple of hours (or days).

If it doesn't crash, then your hardware is OK, it's just the OS.

If it crashes same as with Windows 8, then it's a hardware problem.

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Monday, December 03, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Thanks for replying Sebastian. What I have observed recently is that the laptop hibernates especially when I run some application or install some new software which causes high CPU and disk usage. When I don't run CPU/memory or disk intensive application, the laptop runs for more than one hour easily. Are there any CPU performance settings you recommend?

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Hi,

Start by testing "Power saver" mode.

Here are the instructions

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5464-power-plan-settings-change-windows-8-a.html

Nevertheless, you should be able to use your laptop at full CPU power without fears of overheating damage.

Please, check on HP website for any BIOS or firmware updates related to power consumption under W8.

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Thanks a ton Sebastian. Changing to power saver mode resolved the issue, there is little performance impact but it is acceptable when compared with laptop hibernating after every 10 minutes.

Expertit

Thursday, December 06, 2012 4:17 AM