none
Windows Update does not work, Windows Standalone Update Installer stops with error 0xc8000247 (Windows 7 Home Premium on Acer Aspire 1810TZ notebook)

Question

• I purchased a new notebook with Windows 7 in October. During the first weeks I uninstalled McAfee and replaced the harddrive. Since November Windows Update fails with error messages and defender does not start anymore. I made several virus scans (complete) with multiple antivirus programs but nothing showed up.
    Since it took my days to install various software, I do not want to re-install W7. I also have no good backup that I could restore. 

I am really surprised that there is not even a single entry regarding the error code in the Microsoft Knowledge base or elsewhere.

I really would appreciate help. 
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest clear windows update temp folder, start automatic updates service to check the result:

Type CMD into the Start Menu then right-click the result & 'Run as Administrator.

1. Stop the automatic updates client component service (type net stop wuauserv in Command Prompt);
    2. From explorer navigate to the C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder delete all files & folders;
    3. Restart the automatic updates service (type net start wuauserv in Command Prompt);
    4. Re-Run Windows Update.

If the issue persists, use the following method to collect Windows update log for further research:

How to collect Windows Update log:
    ===========================
    1. Click "Start", type: "%windir%" (without quotations) and then press "Enter".
    2. In the open window, we will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log".
    3. upload the log to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing

http://cid-4b2f155953942dc9.skydrive.live.com/summary.aspx

The above Windows Live ID is ONLY for collecting troubleshooting information. Please do NOT send your questions to it. For any new questions, please post in the forums so that more MSFT, MVP and community members can help you.

• Proposed as answer by Zizabella Friday, July 05, 2013 11:32 PM
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

Starting and stoping the wuaserv and trying to run windows update failed with "Windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is noit running". Which isn't true because the service was running.
    I posted my windowsupdate.log under http://cid-bddfdb80f2dd977e.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/WindowsUpdate.log.

The log basically says not more than: DtaStor FATAL: Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC8000247. In other words, it points at the error I mentioned already but it does explain nothing else.

Earlier I already deleted the datastore folder. It has been recreated anbd it is now empty. I am totally flabberghasted that I cannot even install updates with the standalone updater. How difficult can it be to provide a solution with a clear reference to an error and how difficult can it be to provide information about an error message?

Please help!

Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:31 PM

• Click start, type regsvr32 msxml3.dll then press enter, this will re-register the file.

If still no go, I suggest reinstall Windows 7 Update Agent to reinstall and re-registered all windows update files:

windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe for windows 7 32 bit.
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe

windowsupdateagent30-x64.exe for windows 7 64 bit
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x64.exe

Friday, February 05, 2010 9:08 AM
  • regsvr32 msxml3.dll did not remedy the problem.

Then I downloaded windowsupdateagent30-x64.exe for windows 7 64 bit
    and ran it first normally then with admin privildeges.

The update agent re-installer ended with error 0x8000ffff.

Friday, February 05, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Read the KB artical http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414 and apply the fix to check the result. .

In addition, in case your user profile was corrupted somehoe, create a new user account as a test.
    ============
    1. Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.
    3. Double-click User Accounts.
    4. Click Manage another account.
    Note: Please click Continue if the User Account Control (UAC) window prompts.
    5. Click "Create a new account".
    6. Type in the account name and select choose an account type (For Example: Administrator or Standard user). Then, click Create Account.

Monday, February 08, 2010 10:47 AM
  • KB article 946414 does not refer to Windows 7 64-bit; it refers to Windows Vista.
    In the registry, there is no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS\. Thus, the KB did not help at all.
    I already created a new user ID and tried to install the installer as before, I still get error 0x8000ffff.

Everything but the installer and automatic updates work fine on the operating system. This problem is really frustrating with a supposedly stable and reliable Windows 7. Your help would be appreciated.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 2:27 PM
  • I was wondering if the issue occurs right after uninstalling McAfee and replaced the harddrive. If so, run SFC and disk clean up to clear corrupt system files. If Windows update ever worked after that, system restore should be under consideration.

Also run the troubleshooter in Windows 7 and tell us the report.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:26 AM
  • Running SFC did not remedy any issue. Neither did disk clean up. Both, of course was to be expected. Running the W7 troubleshooter for windows update problems did not find anything. Running other troubleshooters ended with error 0x8E5E0247. Of codoes urse, this error is nowhere documented and Google did not find any document. System restore is not under consideration as I mentioned before because I don't have a restore point with working windows update. It really bothers me that the windows update installer and fails with an error message, the windows update troubleshooter (funny, why did Microsoft find that this tool was necessary if they aren't aware of serious problems with their updates) doesn't find any problems even though the updates do not work. Unfortunately, not a single suggestion from Magon_67 has been close to being helpful and some where outright bad (referring to a KB note that was for Vista rather than W7).  
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Running SFC did not remedy any issue. Neither did disk clean up. Both, of course was to be expected. Running the W7 troubleshooter for windows update problems did not find anything. Running other troubleshooters ended with error 0x8E5E0247. Of codoes urse, this error is nowhere documented and Google did not find any document. System restore is not under consideration as I mentioned before because I don't have a restore point with working windows update. It really bothers me that the windows update installer and fails with an error message, the windows update troubleshooter (funny, why did Microsoft find that this tool was necessary if they aren't aware of serious problems with their updates) doesn't find any problems even though the updates do not work. Unfortunately, not a single suggestion from Magon_67 has been close to being helpful and some where outright bad (referring to a KB note that was for Vista rather than W7).  

Someone is trying to help you and you complain that they're not being helpful ???
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 3:30 PM

• Hi there,

First of all, I would like to confirm how did you run windows update, via Internet or via local update server (WSUS)?

I’ve found the following info from update log files, it seems that the update cannot find it's correct server.

=====the callerID item in your update log=====
    2010-01-31 09:18:47:964  988 14a8 Agent **  END  **  Agent: Finding updates [CallerId = ]
    ===== the callerID item in my update log =====
    2010-02-09 18:41:30:798  892 ef0 Agent **  END  **  Agent: Finding updates [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]

Meanwhile, I suggest you run Troubleshooting -> All Categories -> Windows Update as a test, this tool can fix many update issues with its wizard. If this self-troubleshooting failed, pls let me know the exact error message at the end of the wizard.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:24 AM
  • Gordon,

As mentioned before in this thread, the windows update troubleshooter does not report any problems. There is no error message. It just says that it cannot find problems.
    I tried windows update (see above) via internet, I tried the standalone updater (see above, error 0xc8000247) and I tried to install the update installer (see above, error 0x8000ffff).
    Obviously, something is wrong with the update installer and obviously Microsoft did not do its homework with the update installer. I would think that it should be possible to re-install the update installer but even that fails. It would be great to find a version of the update installer that does not produce error message 0x8000ffff.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Sorry for my missing, regarding the error code 0x8000ffff, since Microsoft only have a FixIt KB article for Vista. (KB946414, and you’ve noticed it yet), you may have to run an in place 'upgrade' as a last resort. Pls notice it will keeps your files, settings, and programs.
    Installing and reinstalling Windows 7
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7#section_7

Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Yes, I could try an in place 'upgrade' if I still had the revovery partition. But would that fix the problem? Your proposed solution reminds me on the Toyota re-call. Or why don't I just buy another notebook? Seriously, wouldn't it be likely that the problem would persist? I would think the logical solution would be that Microsoft provides a troubleshooter that works when there is trouble or that they provide an update installer that installs rather than ends with an error.
    Please note that I am frustrated with Microsoft and not with the people here trying to help whether they are Microsoft affiliated or not.

I am wondering: if the inplace upgrade would work, would - when it becomes available - installing W7 SP1 also work? Could I get a beta version of SP1? Would SP1 install at all (questionable since other installs do not work)?

Another comment: This forum here only allows replies when using MS Internet Explorer. Since I can't install updates, the latest secrurity patches to Explorer have not been installed on my computer and I am reluctant to use IE. When using Opera (I have no problems installingf upgrades of non-MS programs) the forum here is not functional.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:33 PM

• An in-place upgrade install will refresh your system files and I’ve use this as a fix when my system crash (Dec,2009). I agree with you that install a service pack would be have a similar effect, but do you think install a beta version of service pack file is solid solution? I would prefer in-place upgrade.

PS: Many website have compatibility issues, and you may try to find work around for them. (e.g. IE-tab for Firefox, etc)

Friday, February 12, 2010 10:06 AM
  • I have similar problem and no solution anywhere, not even in-place upgrade. Microsoft sucks. I am mulling a switch over to other OS.    
    Monday, July 05, 2010 2:56 PM
  • I found this, translated from Russian and cleaned it up a bit...

Try to do the following:

Run and 'elevated' Command Prompt , type CMD into the Start Menu then right-click the result & 'Run as Administrator.

1. Stop the automatic updates client component service (type net stop wuauserv in Command Prompt);
    2. From explorer navigate to the C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder delete all files & folders;
    3. Restart the automatic updates service (type net start wuauserv in Command Prompt);
    4. Re-Run Windows Update.

I've not tried it and have a feeling it may be related to Vista but it's worth a try :p
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 7:23 AM
  • Can someone give the resolution to sapit's questions?  I have a vista reinstall due to hard drive failure, and I have the same errors in the log file, and I have tried everything mentioned in this thread and windows update still does not work.  Neither does installing sp2 manually, this errors out also.  Microsoft Fix It errors when installing powershell.  All other applications work, except trying to update the OS.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Hi, I'm having the same problem as JCraw3 and sapit (with the exact symptoms as sapit).  I would appreciate any advice as well...

thank you

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:35 AM
  • im also having the same problem as everyone above. but also everytime i try to troubleshoot anything i get an error message "An Error occure while troubleshooting: a problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting. and the error code: 0x8E5E0247

Saturday, September 18, 2010 12:22 PM
  •  

Got it !!!!

If You are using notebooks with with hard drive larger than 700 GB you probably should update Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver.

Here is solution :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02219204&cc=nl&lc=en&dlc=en&product

Download and install it.

• Marked as answer by MowGreenEditor Tuesday, November 09, 2010 4:44 PM
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

this is really incredible. I faced the same problem and it took me 3 complete days until I found this thread. I absolutely have no idea, what problems in Windows Update have to do with the size of my hard disk..... But downloading and installing the driver fixed my update problem.

Many Thanks

CrashHW

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Humprey, you rock!! This worked like a charm - like a user below I've spent days on this trying all the other fixes out there some of which have caused me to have to reload the system entirely. Thanks for this easy and quick solution - I owe you a coke and a gold star!
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Humprey, your fix also worked for me!   However, note that the updated driver is apparently needed for some drives even below the 700 Gb limit.  I installed a 500 Gb WD drive and my primary symptom was that search and indexing failed to work.  Troubleshooter also provided the 0x8E5E0247 code.  Spent several days troubleshooting, reinstalling, updating, reformatting to no avail.  A quick download from the HP website, a reboot and 2 minutes later my indexes were rebuilding.  Thank you.

For other's benefit, I installed a WD Scorpio Blue 500 Gb SATA Model WDBABC5000ANC-NRSN into a Gateway NV59

Saturday, April 02, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Thanks Magon_67

This has been pestering me for ages now and with your little tut, got it fixed 1st time with no nasty 'can't update' messages.

Thanks again.

Gaz

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 5:46 AM
  • Same as above dude
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 5:51 AM
  • THIS ACTUALLY WORKS! MY HD IS SMALLER THAN 700GB, USE IT FOR ANY HD DRIVE.  I tried all the other solutions to the windows update and defender not updating.  I noticed a lot of them had installed a new hard drive and used system restore disks like I did.  I tried stopping the services and renaming files and using the microsoft fix it for windows update and everything else out there, nothing works but installing this driver and restarting.  I installed a Western Digital Hard Drive 500GB laptop harddrive and this worked.
    • Proposed as answer by Nellie111 Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nellie111 Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:38 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 11:46 PM
  • I too installed a 750GB HD. I too was unable to run Windows Update. I too was unable to find any answers at Microsofts Help site. I would assume that this site would be monitored for problems and to develop solutions but I guess not. Anyways, this fix works but I was unable to download the IRRT driver from HP but was able to do so from Intels site. Here is the link I used:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=19607&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

Good luck.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:43 AM
  •  

Got it !!!!

If You are using notebooks with with hard drive larger than 700 GB you probably should update Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver.

Here is solution :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02219204&cc=nl&lc=en&dlc=en&product

Download and install it.

I had this exact problem, and this was the fix.  I upgraded from a 320 GB HDD to a 750 GB HDD, and after reinstalling from the HP recovery disks, Windows Update failed to work no matter what i did.  This was on an HP Pavillion DV7t-3000 with 64 bit Windows 7.

Thanks!

Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Thanks for this, Ive tried so many things.....worked a dream for me <3 

Thank You! 

Thank You! 

Thank You!

Saturday, May 14, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Hello. I am jumping into this thread because I am having the same problem with Windows Update, however, none of these fixes have worked for me...

I am running a Windows 7 Home edition HP Pavilion dv6 64bit i5

The only thing I didn't do was follow through with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver thing. I downloaded the file above and ran it, but it said I had a newer version of the update already installed.

I then went to Intel's website and found a version of the software there. I downloaded and ran the setup file and again it told me the same thing.

Am I supposed to just install it even if it says I have a newer version?

-Thanks.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Just in case anyone else comes to this thread and the proposed solutions didn't work for you either, here's what I did to get it to work:

I removed the HD from the system and connected it to another computer with a USB/SATA adapter. I then ran check disk on it, which found and fixed a few errors.

After placing the HD back into the system Windows Update worked as it should.

I did everything else in this thread, but none of that worked. I'm not exactly sure how THIS worked, but it did.

Sunday, June 05, 2011 3:26 AM
  • Humprey, you are a friggin' genius! My laptop's new hard drive is only 250 GB, but my problems magically disappeared when I downloaded the driver above. I can't believe how hard this solution was to find, but I'm extremely glad you shared it!
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:32 PM
  • Thank you... my drive is 500G and I was having this problem for days. I did everything Microsoft suggests and nothing... finally I found this thread... downloaded the driver and voila... everything is working again.

Thanks humprey you saved me and my laptop....

Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:08 AM
  • i had the same problem and your solution worked. i wish i would have found this forum early.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:36 PM
  • This post was a miracle for me.  The Humprey post detailing the Intel Update DID the trick.  Who would ever imagine that THAT would be the problem?  Sometimes I think it is amazing that any of this Computer Voodoo works at all!!
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:48 PM
  • I did just about the same removed McAfee security and installed Microsoft Security Essentials, Then I upgraded the Drive to a 500GB, Used the Lenovo disk creator and made copies of the re-install software....Then performed a complete backup using the One Recovery utility.  Reloaded the new drive with the Backup disks and then restored the Complete Backup.  Eversince then it's been nothing but you are not running Genuine Windows and this 0xC8000247 error on the windowsupdate.log file.... Plenty of help out there from the wolves who claim their regestery cleaner can fix this but I don't trust them.....
    • Proposed as answer by ljboucha Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:45 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ljboucha Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:46 AM
    • Proposed as answer by ljboucha Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ljboucha Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:51 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Fixed it I don't know why but upgrading the  Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver Fixed it..... Used a link for the HP site and installed sp47845 my laptop is a Lenovo but has the same chip set and this fixed it after the up date and reboot my windos update worked adn I had 14 updated waiting to be installed.... Whew....  I was about to consider shelling out a wad of cash to Misrosoft for a windows upgrade....
    • Proposed as answer by ljboucha Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:52 AM
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:50 AM
  • Wow, this thread saved me too.  Installing the intel rapid storage technology driver fixed my windows update.  I realized windows update was not working when I could not install an old Canon printer.  For the record I have an HP pavilion dv7 that had hard drive failure and I reinstalled on a new 640gb drive.  HP could not even help me.  Thanks.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 3:43 AM
  • Humprey's answer was it!  Download the file and install it.  My hard drive also died on my HP Pavillion DV6000 laptop and after running through the HP Vista restore disks, Windows update failed.  This is the only solution I found that works.

Thanks so much for posting the link!

Friday, September 09, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Replaced Seagate 320GB with cloned WD 250GB and update stopped working. Installed this fix on Dell Inspiron and Windows Update alerted me of automatic updates as soon as I rebooted. Downloading updates as I type!

Thanks Humprey!

• Edited by Munsterman Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:02 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:02 AM
  •  

Got it !!!!

Here is solution :

Download and install it.

I have a Sony VAIO which would not update or troubleshoot. I tried the Intel update recommended by Sony and it did not work. Used this HP update and everything works.

Thank you.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Thanks Humprey

You have solve a problem I have spent days working on.

Microsoft appear to be totaly unaware o this solution

Thanks again

Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:22 PM
  •  

Got it !!!!

Here is solution :

Download and install it.

I have a Sony VAIO which would not update or troubleshoot. I tried the Intel update recommended by Sony and it did not work. Used this HP update and everything works.

Thank you.

I too have a Sony VAIO that would not update.  I fought with this all day and then stumbled upon this thread and voila, fixed.  I however tried the HP update and it did not work, but tried the Intel update and it did.  Wierd.  So glad I found this thread.
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 2:49 AM
  • Humprey, it was the grace of God that I found your post.  I was having a related problem, after having a new hard drive installed on my laptop and having my back up system image copied to my new drive.  I was also getting a message that my genuine Windows was not geniune:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/message-that-windows-is-not-genuine-update-wont/f7592722-38c9-43ed-9b2b-2e8d8f8f0d5a

This fixed everything for me, the message about Windows not being genuine and the problem of not being able to update. The only thing it didn't fix was my Toshiba BIOS recognition by the "Health Monitor", but I found another thread for that.

I did not have to re-install Windows or re-enter the product key. Just downloaded the updated drive for Intel. I am not a technician, so I don't know why this worked but it did.

Thank you, Humprey for helping me and saving me hours of work.

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:44 AM
  • Humprey,

You the man! Fixed my issue on toshiba satellite E105 after replacing stock Toshiba 320GB HHD with a WD 320GB HDD (SATA) and restoring an image made with Macrium Reflect.

Considering the number of well-meaning tech experts out there who suggested numerous other fixes that didn't work, I hope this easy fix gets some exposure as a no-brainer option.  Like others, I have spent days looking for a solution and trying the ones that seemed reasonable, to no avail.  Perhaps this page could be tagged for the error and made easier to find?  What through me off initially was the over 700GB HHD capacity.  Definitely fixes much smaller SATA HDDs as well.

Thanks a million!

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Does anyone know of a similar fix for desktop PC's. I have a similar problem with an HP 8100SFF running Win7 pro 32 bit. 
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Thanks all
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:09 PM
  • i don't speek english, but

YOU'RE TOO BIG

grazie 1000

Monday, November 07, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Add me to the eternally grateful list. TY TY TY Humprey. I have an HP Pavillion DV6700 with Vista, now on its third hard disk after yet another crash (TY Western Digital, I hope you are happy getting rich off of my misery), so bought another new 320gb Scorpio Blue disk drive (yes, another WD, they were the only game in town), ran the HP restore disks (TY HP for making me pay for software that should have come in the box), then silly me, let it do the HP updates which I assume corrupted my Intel drivers. After that, no Windows updates, just lots of different errors depending on which fix I tried. I have spent days going through endless attempts to fix this and was literally about to go out tomorrow to buy a new cheap laptop rather than pay for an upgrade to Windows 7 to see if that would fix it. But Humprey's Intel driver link did the job. One reboot later and I got the Windows update message a few minutes later, never thought I'd be happy to see that! Happily downloading 173 updates now.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:23 AM
  • I just reformatted my 320 GB HDD using the recovery discs that were created when I first got my notebook.  The errors were occurring as described and I tried this, just to see if it would work, even though my computer is not >700GB.  It worked and it is now downloading and installing 72 important updates.  Thanks! 
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:00 AM
  • Hi humprey

Tried a lot of things on my laptop in vain ... you saved me days in research with this solution.

This fixed my windows vista ultimate 32bits version with "windows update service not running" error

I think it is indeed not a bad idea to send this solution to microsoft !!! None of their solutions worked for me and I lost a lot of time ...

Thanks a lot

Greetings from Belgium

Thursday, December 01, 2011 9:30 PM
  •  

Got it !!!!

Here is solution :

Download and install it.

After a week of looking for a fix, your post finally got my Windows Update, updating :)  THANK YOU!!!!

Thursday, February 02, 2012 11:27 PM
  •  

Got it !!!!

Here is solution :

Download and install it.

It worked for me too, thanks humprey!!, you save me days of research. I really appreciate it :).

Regards,

Jorge Montaño, Microsoft Partner, http://jorgemontano.wordpress.com/
    Friday, February 03, 2012 8:10 PM
  • Fantastic advice. Ran into the same problem with my Toshiba running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. After a hard drive crash I tried to rebuild it using a Toshiba recovery CD and a larger 500 GByte WG Scorpio Blue hard drive. Installing the above driver fixed the issue.
    Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Hi humprey,

your hint was really helpful, all other recommendations in the Internet in relation to this topic were nonsense.

My PC: Akoya E4360D (=Medion MD 8338).

After a new Installation (necessary due to errors on my disc: WD 1 TB Caviar green - it jad to be replaced) of Windows 7 32-bit and the additional installation of Intel Rapid Storage-Technology with the SW delivered through the seller MEDION there were several problems on my PC: e.g. Update, Defender, Indexing ... did not work anymore !

After the installation of the driver (Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver VERSION: 9.5.6.1001) according to your link all problems werde solved!!

Thanks a lot again.

Kind regards from Austria

John

Monday, February 06, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Humprey, thank you!  

This worked on a re-install of Vista 32-bit home premium on a HP dv6000 laptop, where a 320GB hard drive was used, replacing the original 250GB.

Recovery discs were used, and soon after re-install, the existing Vista SP1 would not update at all, giving error 8024A000; "can't check for updates."  I had tried various stand-alones, renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder, and they would not work.  Thanks again for your help!!

• Edited by Davol90 Wednesday, February 08, 2012 5:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 5:38 AM
  • WOW! another TY to Humprey!  I never would have figured this out.  I did sfc scannow, repair, restore, and in place upgrade.  None of those did anything.  Installed this driver and no more windows update error! 
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:02 PM
  • OMG Thank you for the above answer! I just recently installed a new large drive and backed up to it and ran into all sorts of problems with troubleshooters and Windows updates etc. I've been searching for fixes all week and just now stumbled across your answer about the Intel Rapid Storage Technology. I have tried all kinds of strange ideas from people, attempted to fix by upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate, to no avail... This fixed everything ,absolutely everything! I was very close to giving up and doing a fresh Windows install! Thank You!
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:15 PM
  •  

This was a weird fix   but it worked for  my problem   I replaced a dead hard drive in a clients Gate way computer   it was a 320 gig Toshiba  i couldn't get the original operating system  from the back up partition as the drive was not working at all   Gate way was no help as i don't own the computer and the owner forgot where they bought it so they wouldn't cover the warranty  . I downloaded an OEM version of win 7 I installed it with the original cd key which it accepeted with no problems   it all worked   fine until  it wanted to verify with Microsoft  then i got the WGA exe    Microsoft were no help they told me i had to contact the manufacturer and BUY a replacement dvd from them so i was in a loop------I stumbled on this site

I had downloaded a WGA  exe removal tool and it fixed the WGA  problem  but now i couldn't get any updates   i stumbled on this site   but was very doubtful it would work  as i only have a 320 gig drive and it is a Toshiba and the computer is  a gateway  not a dell   but i downloaded the Intel  driver thing  installed it  which i doubted would even work   and presto  updates are working ( i cant work out how a driver update can fix a windows up dater not initialising  problem    lol   thanks   heaps 

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:07 PM
  • I hit this same problem... I spent days trying to figure out what went wrong. MS advise of doing; Windows7 re-installs, BIOS/firmware updates, drivers changed, etc etc etc.

I installed a new(large) SEAGATE Momentus XT hybrid 750GB SATA drive upon newly purchased notebook, but the twist here is between the storage configuration mode in the BIOS, ATA vs. AHCI. See, the DELL BIOS required to configure my laptop storage for AHCI mode, because I had the 4GB Intel Flash Cache Module (Turbo Memory) installed on the DELL Precision notebook. The Flash Cache is installed internally in the mini-pcie slot, loaded the Intel storage drivers, and when it works, is an outstanding feature which supports:

Windows ReadyDrive* Windows ReadyBoost*

Looking at the details of the Intel storage drivers that support the INTEL TURBO MEMORY, they're from 2009. Of course it was recommended by users to install these drivers first before anything else, so it would function best, but this was part of the cause to all the problems with Windows 7.  I've provided links to Intel Flash Cache info for those interested. Unfortunately, loading the HP/Intel Storage drivers fixes the Windows permissions/update problems, but "Breaks" the Intel Turbo Flash Cache functionality now, even though Microsoft still supports ReadyDrive in Windows 7.

"Intel® Turbo Memory is a primary PC component, along with the CPU, chipset, and system memory. It caches large amounts of frequently used data or user selected applications for faster access by the processor. This decreases the need for hard-disk accesses, saving both time and power, which equates to increased performance and energy efficiency. That's good news for users who run data-intensive software like media applications. It's also a good match to the substantial system requirements to load and run Windows Vista*.

Intel Turbo Memory is a single solution that accelerates data transfer both to and from the processor."

Intel discontinued support for the modules or drivers with the marketing move to producing their own SSD storage drives.

WIKI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Memory

INTEL page: http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/apac/eng/products/mobile/mprod/turbo_memory/396715.htm

Intel Drivers/Support Turbo Memory: http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/apac/eng/products/mobile/mprod/turbo_memory/396719.htm

For me, I hit all the symptoms everyone else hit and thanks to humphrey for his find. I just wish Microsoft/Intel would get together and fix this Windows 7 issue between SW/HW; Large Drive Sizes, Licensing/Permissions, Flash Memory, ATA vs. ACHI, BIOS, etc. There's been an incredible amount of loss productivity, resources, and costs incurred on this one ISSUE by everyone involved.

Intel Member login for Mobility Turbo Memory Flash Cache pdf: http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/mobile/mprod/turbo_memory/394947.htm

Monday, April 23, 2012 4:57 PM
  • i recently ran into this problem at work with one of the rebuilds I had to do, after trying all of these steps none of them worked. so i figured i would try an install from disks instead of ghost imagine, i ran win 7 install, then drivers install checked cmd promt to make syre updates where working properly and they were. so I attempted to re-try the updates and they actually worked. all 114 of them. 

so the best solution when this problem occurs is to find or order discs and install from scratch from cds instead of an image. 

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Friday, May 25, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Well I dont have a large hard drive and my laptop is a Toshiba, not an Acer or a HP, but this is the solution that works. Thanks.
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 10:13 AM
  • Incredible! Been working on this for days and this did the trick. I have 2.5 years of updates to get to. Thanks so much humprey!!!
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Amazing.  I've had this issue for quite a while now.  As amazing as it sounds this solution worked for me after trying *everything* else. 

Thank you!

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:31 PM
  • Thank you Humprey!!

This was vexing me - I could not run Windows Update, could not install and Windows programs like Security essentials and Defender would not start. It's on a new netboodk with Windows 7 starter with a 340 GB drive.

Your suggestion fixed it!

Darryl Gittins

Sunday, July 15, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Me too: I replaced bad HDD with new WD 1000GB. Used partition migration and windows 7 works fine on new HDD.

Later I discovered problems:
    1) indexing doesn't work at all. I couldn't have to explain I have tried all possible suggestions!
    2) windows update doesn't work
     3) strange discovering of indexed files by chkdsk.

Yes also SOLVED by driver. I downloaded here: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (executable setup)
     http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20624&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%c2%ae+RST)&lang=eng#help

I have desktop HP PC. Not notebook. 

But can someone explain what is going on? What the hell windows problem has?

Why any expert could not help?
     I am sure the driver does not do anything better. But the windows is too difficult with all the security and problematic gigantic services. I don't want to use it, but we have to.

Humprey should be paid by Microsoft for his advice. And we should be paid for time we spend. I spend only 5 hours solving this. Less than others.

• Edited by Tnet666 Monday, August 06, 2012 11:14 PM
    Monday, August 06, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Amazing solution!  My old Toshiba hard drive recently broke and I installed a new WD Scorpio Blue 320Gb on my Toshiba Satellite.  After installing windows 7 i noticed that windows update wasn't working.  I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver as suggested and voila - update works again!  i'm elated - thanks so much for your help!
    Friday, August 10, 2012 5:30 PM
  • I, too, would like to extend my kudos to Humprey.  Like others, I spent way too much time trying to track down why Windows updates stopped working after I upgraded my Asus laptop hard drive to a WD 500gb Black Scorpio.  Then, I stumbbled upon this thread.  I was hesitant at first to try the "HP" driver update until I learned that it was acutally an update from Intel.  Once I applied it, voila, Windows updates started working again.  Great find Humprey!

Gort, Klaatu, Barada Nikto

Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Got it !!!!

Here is solution :

Download and install it.

OK, so like the OP, I was reluctant to try this solution because it's from HP and I'm trying to fix my friend's Dell.  Great find!  The link seems to be broken/moved now, here's where I was able to find the same driver:

'http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-82337-1'

-Evan

Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Humphrey,

You're a legend!! I spent 4 days looking at posts, using the Update Repair Wizard and other suggested fixes, nothing worked till I updated the Intel Rapid Store Technology Driver from the Toshiba support site. It didn't occur to me that this would be an issue and still can't understand why.

I recently upgraded my Toshiba Qosmio 500Gb 5400 rpm drives to Seagate Momentus XT 750Gb drives (with amazing results) and it looks like this was when the update issue started.

• Edited by GarthP - MCITP Sunday, December 02, 2012 1:33 AM added some more detail
    • Proposed as answer by GarthP - MCITP Sunday, December 02, 2012 1:35 AM
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 1:32 AM
  • mine is only 640 and this was the problem
    Friday, December 21, 2012 12:49 AM
  • The 160GB 5400 rpm WD drive failed on my  daughters Dell Inspiron 1525. I replaced the drive with a 500GB 7200 rpm WD Black drive then reinstalled Vista and various drivers using the Dell DVDs that came with the system.

Windows Update would not work on the fresh install of Vista; it was failing with error 8024A00. I downloaded sp47845.exe from the HP support site. After installing it, I am pleased to report my Windows Update problem is fixed. I was a bit reluctant to install since the fix was from HP and the fix was listed as for Windows 7. Even though the fix is listed for Windows 7 notes included with the fix indicate it is also for Vista.

I don't understand why this fixed the problem but you can't argue with success!

Friday, December 28, 2012 10:54 PM
  •  

Got it !!!!

Here is solution :

Download and install it.

Same fix worked with a 500gb disk on a dell laptop. Software got from Intel directly though Intel Download Centre

• Edited by Smudge04 Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:45 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:43 PM
  • OMG!!! I can't believe that worked!!! I have been trying for over six months to find out why I can't get updates and all I had to do was install the link below!!!  It worked!!!  Thank you so much!!!!  I don't normally sigh up for these kind of sites, but had to give my input!!!!  Again THANK YOU HUMPREY !!!!!!!!    :-) 

h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02219204&cc=nl&lc=en&dlc=en&product

• Proposed as answer by Lefty45 Monday, January 28, 2013 4:10 AM
    • Edited by Lefty45 Monday, January 28, 2013 4:11 AM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 4:04 AM
  • Thank you Thank you Thank you!  I had a computer services company put in a 500GB SATA Western Digital hard drive and they could not figure this out and I said I would go home and fix it myself to do the windows updates.  You are the best.
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:20 AM
  • You rock humprey !!!!
    Saved me a fresh install.
    • Edited by didgydont Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:20 AM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:19 AM
  • I feel as tho I am the only one who has not had sucess with this driver install. I still keep getting the  "Windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is noit running" message. I run a ASUS Notebook G60 Series with Windows 7 Home Premium. I also have tried all the above methods of remedy with to luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    • Proposed as answer by KingOfShiva Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by KingOfShiva Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:03 AM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 4:52 AM
  • This helped me as well, even though I have a 320GB HDD. I even reinstalled Windows 7 x86 in the meantime for other reasons only to see that updates still didn't work.

Thanks Humprey!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:27 AM
  • Humpfrey's answer worked for me too.  How did Humpfrey discover this?  Would it not be so much preferable if MS Update (or a subset of it) would search for these kinds of drivers and utilities as part of a partnership between MS and support developers ??

What amazes me is that although this thread is is now over 3 years old, on my computer the issue only arose in January of this year [2013] (unbeknown to me 'til now).  What changed?  Not my hardware.

Microsoft are always concerned about customer satisfaction.  Yet any partnership with major vendors like Intel and others fail to address these common issues.  Surely this should have been addressed at the latest 2 years ago.  Instead, they have left it up to the user base to discover the answer on their own.

Please Microsoft, be proactive and help your user-base. Communicate with the major hardware vendors and make us happy and productive.

In the meantime, allow me to express my sincere thanks to all those with more advanced knowledge who spend their free time researching and answering these questions in these forums.  Without you, we'd be lost.  Without you, Microsoft would be losing far more marketshare...  they should pay you guys !

Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:52 AM
  • Perfectly and simply explained. And it worked! Thank you.
    Friday, July 05, 2013 11:33 PM
  • THANK YOU HUMPREY!!!!!!!!!! I am a computer tech who has worked on 1000's of computers and can solve just about anything. I installed a new 500GB hard drive in a laptop and reloaded it with the Windows 7 64 bit factory image disks....TWICE and could not get windows update to work, could not install service pack 1 or even the system readiness tool.....all failed until I read this post. Why in the world should the Intel Rapid Technology Storage Driver have anything to do with windows updates not working. The solution to this problem should have come up on the first google search but it took many many hours of research to get the simple fix for error 0cx8000247.  Anyone who has the problem with windows update not running because the service is not running but it IS running should run:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver.

Here is solution :AS PER HUMPREY

Download and install it.

Windows updates are being installed as we speak!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:26 PM
  • I too, have spent a day trying to restart my Windows Update after installing a bigger HD on a laptop, restoring Windows 7 from a recovery disk and deleting MacAfee.  None of the standard Microsoft solutions worked.  I was therefore elated when I came across this thread with so many of you having success with Humphrey's solution of installing "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver."  However Humphrey's solution did not work for me.  I have a Dell Studio XPS 1645 and installed a 1 TB Seagate  (actually 902 GB) SATA HD.  Anyone else out there who still had problems after trying Humphrey's solution and was able to find another solution?
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 11:24 PM
  • Works on a new Seagate SSD 1TB that was installed on a HP Pavilion dv6, after the original hard drive failed.

The errors I had were with Windows Mail not working (0x8E5E0247)
    and also the Windows Update error (0xc8000247).

Thanks!

• Edited by Uri.Tz Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:54 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:50 PM
  • I have the exact same problem, from a system that has been working perfectly.  ALL I am attempting to do is upgrade from IE10 ti IE 11.  NOTHING anyone has advised works, yet it's evident this is a major consistent problem for numerous people.

Sometimes I wonder where Microsoft people keep their heads!  This is absurd.

David

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:40 PM
  • Yes this was my solution! Thank you for the post.
    Monday, November 25, 2013 12:18 AM
  • Thank you, Humprey!!!! (Oct 31 2010 answer).  I upgrade my old Gateway computer Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit's hard drive today from 750 GB to 2 TB Seagate SSHD and then Windows update does not work.  I try download Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver direct from Intel and it does not work.  I try to get re-activate and validate and it does not work.  I was going to try to recovery or re-install all software then I saw a lot of thank you Humprey's message, so I thought what the heck, just try an HP upgrade fix for a Gateway machine, and it actually works.  It saves me at least 1 day of work and a lot of grief.  It is a shame that Microsoft does not have a link for this Windows Update error fix.  Now if I can fix the Windows Experience Index running error on an old HP a1657c machine after a GeoForce GT 610 graphic card installation.

Friday, December 06, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Also a big thank you Humphrey. I upgraded my HP Touchsmart IQ518A from Vista home premium to Windows 7 and also installed a new Seagate Barracudda 2TB hard drive. All worked well, except Microsoft Updates. Your solution fixed it fine. Thank You Thank you Thank you.  No one else has cottenrede on the this since firts reported in 2010. I wish you a very merry Xmas - you can have a holiday now as this thread has helped a lot of people. Time Microsoft included this in Win 7 install discs, as almost every one has huge Hard drives these days

Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:32 AM
  • Hi team ,

Please check my windows update log file . I am using vista machine 32 bit I am unable to install update or any update .
    I am trying to use Microsoft VIrtual Lab and for its working requirement its need to install RDP 7.0 version in machine .Now its not able to install from direct internet or WSUS server .
    Also I am posting the url of my windows update .log

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A570F75E4C837F8C%21353

Also I have tried the above trouble shooting steps also remove all files of download folder

still the issue , please help me on this
    also sent your suggestions to my mail ID :vineeshbabu@live.com

Monday, March 03, 2014 11:09 AM
  • Hi team ,

Please check my windows update log file . I am using vista machine 32 bit I am unable to install update or any update .
    I am trying to use Microsoft VIrtual Lab and for its working requirement its need to install RDP 7.0 version in machine .Now its not able to install from direct internet or WSUS server .

Also I have tried the above trouble shooting steps also remove all files of download folder

Monday, March 03, 2014 12:42 PM
  • Hi team ,

• Proposed as answer by VINEESH BABU Wednesday, March 05, 2014 5:54 AM
    Monday, March 03, 2014 12:42 PM
  • Hi team,

Has anyone tried Humphrey's fix for 'Windows 7 is not Genuine' on a Toshiba Satelite?

I have replace a friend's 500gb hdd with a 1TB WD drive and now experience the same 'Windows is not Genuine' error.

Thanks.

Friday, March 14, 2014 1:11 AM
  • humprey: After installing a new 480GB ssd I tried all the suggestions here and many more elsewhere to get windows update to work before I finally downloaded the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver. I have no idea why windows update now works but it does. Thank you so much.
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:18 AM
  • https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CC0C72A64D756038!109&authkey=!AKURLMnleiQQogM&ithint=file%2c.log

here is my link... i cant get my windows update to work.. tried everything so far  i know of

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 3:05 AM
  • Like most here, have the dreaded cannot run Windows Update, getting the common Error Code (0x8E5E0247).  This is after replacing a WD 160GB HDD with a WD 500GB unit. Cloned HDD through WD's supplied "Acronis True Image."  Am running a Lenovo ThinkPad T500.

Tried the HP link everyone here uses successfully. Got thru the initial stuff, then got the following message: 

"The Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver you are about to install is incompatible with the Intel Turbo Memory driver currently installed on tihs computer. Intel Turbo Memory will be uninstalled during this process. Are you sure you want to continue?"

So, of course, I pressed NO.

Can anyone offer some advice, etc. here?  Don't want to install this if it impacts the existing s/w, drivers, etc., unless they don't matter, etc..  Knowledge of the Turbo Memory driver??  Relationship w/ IRST??  Thanks in advance.

Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:42 AM