none
How to delete system image backup?

Question

• In preparation for installing Win7 RC, I'm trying to free up disk space on a external USB drive to do a backup using Windows Easy Transfer.  I've gone into the "Manage Windows Backup disk space" dialog, and I've deleted all of the "Data file backups" and the "System image".  However, the dialog still reports that a system image is still using up 32GB.  I've only used this external drive on this one PC, and I can't figure out how to delete this 32GB system image.  This external drive is not bootable, I don't need the backups on this drive, and I can't find out where the system image is stored on this drive.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this hidden system image backup?  I need the space.

(and, yes, windirstat does report that there is 32.8GB in "unknown".)

Thanks.
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 6:49 PM

Answers

• Those are probably files reserved for 'shadow copies' of files that would be reinstated when you use your "System Restore' options. (Control Panel/Recovery) It is possible to remove all restor points except the last one in "Disk Cleanup"

(help and support entry on that)

Delete a restore point
    You cannot delete an individual restore point, but you can either delete all restore points or all but the most recent restore point. Deleting restore points temporarily frees up disk space. As new restore points are created, disk space will be used again. For information about how to adjust the disk space that is used by restore points, see How much disk space does System Restore require?

When you delete restore points, previous versions of files are also deleted. For more information about previous versions, see Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions.

To delete all restore points

1.  open System in Control Panel.

2. In the left pane, click System protection If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Under Protection Settings, click Configure.

4. Under Disk Space Usage, click Delete.

5. Click Continue, and then click OK.

To delete all but the most recent restore point

1.  open Disk Cleanup.

2. If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

3. In the Disk Cleanup for (drive letter) dialog box, click Clean up system files If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

5. Click the More Options tab, under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click Clean up.

6. In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click Delete.

7. Click Delete Files, and then click OK.

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by Mr00110000 Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:16 PM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:44 PM

All replies

• Those are probably files reserved for 'shadow copies' of files that would be reinstated when you use your "System Restore' options. (Control Panel/Recovery) It is possible to remove all restor points except the last one in "Disk Cleanup"

(help and support entry on that)

Delete a restore point
    You cannot delete an individual restore point, but you can either delete all restore points or all but the most recent restore point. Deleting restore points temporarily frees up disk space. As new restore points are created, disk space will be used again. For information about how to adjust the disk space that is used by restore points, see How much disk space does System Restore require?

When you delete restore points, previous versions of files are also deleted. For more information about previous versions, see Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions.

To delete all restore points

1.  open System in Control Panel.

2. In the left pane, click System protection If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Under Protection Settings, click Configure.

4. Under Disk Space Usage, click Delete.

5. Click Continue, and then click OK.

To delete all but the most recent restore point

1.  open Disk Cleanup.

2. If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

3. In the Disk Cleanup for (drive letter) dialog box, click Clean up system files If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

5. Click the More Options tab, under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click Clean up.

6. In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click Delete.

7. Click Delete Files, and then click OK.

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by Mr00110000 Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:16 PM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Thanks, that was it.  Since we have to reinstall Win7, I don't need the old restore points.  The weird thing is that system protection was turned off for that drive, but deleting the restore points freed up the "system image" disk space on that external drive (I deleted all restore points on all drives).
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:19 PM
  • I got the answer just go and watch the video it'll give u step by step instruction to how to delete the backup images

http://www.blip.tv/file/4756193/

• Proposed as answer by gokkenath Friday, February 11, 2011 3:12 PM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:12 PM
  • I got the answer just go and watch the video it'll give u step by step instruction to how to delete the backup images

http://www.blip.tv/file/4756193/

• Proposed as answer by gokkenath Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:45 PM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Thank you! This solved an old unused hidden system image problem on my external WD My Passport, taking up 235GB.
    Saturday, December 07, 2013 5:41 PM