none
Error: 0x80FE0000 during installation of Windows 7

Question

• I've got an unformatted disk on a notebook. And I want a clear installation . Here's what happens. I make a new partition (30GB for system) and a window pops up saying that Windows can create a 100MB back-up partition. The only answers are OK or Cancel. I don't want to create this partition but clicking Cancel cancels creating my 30GB partition. So I've got no choice but create this useless 100MB partition. The problem is Windows creates 100MB partition as Disk 0 and my 30GB partition meant for the system is Disk 1. Disk 0 is described as "System" and Disk 1 is described as "Primary". I choose to install Windows on the 30GB partition. Everything goes well until the last step. That is ending installation. Waiting... Waiting... And then this error pops up saying that it "could not set the offline locale information." What does that mean? Clean installation of my old Vista goes without any problems but desktop doesn't adjust to the screen and I've got two black vertical stripes on both sides of the screen.

I've seen a thread "Error Code: 0x80FE0000 " back from 2006 but it's about Windows Vista. And I don't want to install Vista plus I didn't find any information there that would help solve the problem.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 11:38 AM

Answers

• doubleffect,
    Here is a reference from the Win 7 site. It appears that if you are using the utility on the install DVD that you must select ok for the "useless" partition.

You can download (free) and burn a cd for a disk utility from the HDD manufacturer that will let you erase the entire disk. It is usually included in the diagnostic or disk utility section of support for your HDD. It takes hours to erase.

If you have a usb enclosure for a 2.5" HDD, you could use another version of Windows to delete all partitons and create new partitions, mark active, and format the partitions as you choose.

With a wiped disk your install setup should go smoothly. The boot sector is causing issues.

Another thought is to choose the upgrade option, which should see the 30gb partition from Vista and install over the boot sector.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:53 PM