none
Installed windows 7 can't connect to internet

Question

• I recently upgraded from windows xp to windows 7 on my laptop and have been unable to connect to the internet.  Before i upgraded to windows 7 everything worked perfectly so i think it has something to do with my drivers being out of date.  I have searched for driver updates for my network adapters and have found nothing to work.

my computer model is: sony vaio PCG-GRT360ZG

network adpaters : LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter
                                Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Thank you for the help
    -dwooman

Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:35 PM

Answers

• Doesn't look like Sony has any intention of providing updated drivers for this unit. However, all is not lost. But couple of questions first. You said you upgrade but that requires a clean install - this is what you did correct?  What you can do though is read this HOW TO: Install a Hardware Device Driver using Compatibility Mode and install those drivers in XP compatibility mode. After you've done that, go into the NIC properties of both the wireless and wired nic and disable the power saving features on both. By the way, are you dual booting?  Good luck, just pay attention to details and you'll be fine.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, January 04, 2010 3:44 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:53 PM

All replies

• Doesn't look like Sony has any intention of providing updated drivers for this unit. However, all is not lost. But couple of questions first. You said you upgrade but that requires a clean install - this is what you did correct?  What you can do though is read this HOW TO: Install a Hardware Device Driver using Compatibility Mode and install those drivers in XP compatibility mode. After you've done that, go into the NIC properties of both the wireless and wired nic and disable the power saving features on both. By the way, are you dual booting?  Good luck, just pay attention to details and you'll be fine.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, January 04, 2010 3:44 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:53 PM
  • After searching on Sony website, there is only driver for Windows XP. Please refer to Cdobbs's suggestions to install Windows XP driver in Compatibility Mode.

For your reference, I have enclosed the download link below:

Sony notebook driver

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Thanks,

Novak

Friday, December 25, 2009 2:08 AM
  • Out of curiosity, did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before upgrading?  Did it give you any warnings about this issue?
    Friday, December 25, 2009 8:49 AM