none
Scheduler problems.

Question

• Hey!

When ever i open task scheduler it pops up an error: "Task SvcRestartTask: The task XML contains an unexpected node."
    How can i fix this?

The rest might be related - In Event Viewer i can see an error appearing twice every 30 sec:

Source: Security-SPP
    General: Failed to schedule Software Protection service for re-start at 2013-01-07T08:15:57Z. Error Code: 0x80041316.

I also get a blank warning/error pop up at startup, the pop up title says explorer.exe

Monday, January 07, 2013 8:00 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

Please check if there is a system/OEM partition that has no drive letter. That's might be the problem. You may need to install the Windows 8 DVD/OEM recovery DVD when you refresh the OS.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Did you create any tasks yourself or via GPP? If you delete these tasks (if possible) or remove the task from GPO, does the same issue occur?

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 1:28 PM
  • I have done nothing with it. I was looking in Even Viewer for clues why i cant launch one application and why i get that blank warning from explorer.exe on start up. There was no information regarding that but i got suspicious about that  "Security-SPP" report which occurs twice every 30 sec. Somehow it led me to Scheduler and  when i opened it, it threw this error at me "Task SvcRestartTask: The task XML contains an unexpected node." And since i was unable to find that XML on my own, I'm here hoping that someone can give me clues on how to access that XML and maybe which part to edit/delete.

The blank explorer.exe warning started to appear after i cleaned temp folder and registries. I have restored the registries but the warning remains. One interesting thing is that there was system protected bat and few other files in the temp folder. I thought it was suspicious and checked if my laptop has that too. So my laptop had no system protected files in temp folder and i deleted those  from my main PC via safe mode. And that is when it all started i guess.

For now I'm looking how to fix Scheduler. Using Win 8 x64 - maybe i should just "refresh" the OS with the new option that win 8 introduces? But that would probably wipe the registries, not just rewrite system ones?
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Hi ,

I am not sure if you delete some files in safe mode that cause the issue. Please use the following command line to check if there is any system file corruption.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Could you please capture some screenshots of the error?

Regarding Refresh your PC – Keep all personal data, Metro style apps, and important settings from the PC, and reinstall Windows.

More information:

Refresh Your PC - Save your bacon!

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2012/11/19/refresh_2d00_your_2d00_pc_2d00_save_2d00_your_2d00_bacon.aspx

Refresh and reset your PC

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 1:35 PM
  • Dont think I've could have had been more specific but here you go.

I'm unable to post images or links. It says i have unconfirmed account. But this should follow after http://

cdn.imghack.se/images/ae24c6a9c0ae00fed78d3ca02d70a8d0.gif

cdn.imghack.se/images/694dd1f82922ec2fe0dc13458aa5cd61.gif

cdn.imghack.se/images/f1c2aabd385f3e3aa9d0baa6b0559250.gif

I guess I'll just try the refresh option.

#EDIT:

F~ me i suppose...

cdn.imghack.se/images/648471da16f8f8e9bc8ad79ded26c569.gi

I'm more than certain than all folder regarding windows are on single c:\ drive.

I guess I'll start to back up...

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Hi ,

Please check if there is a system/OEM partition that has no drive letter. That's might be the problem. You may need to install the Windows 8 DVD/OEM recovery DVD when you refresh the OS.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:43 AM
  • I recently started experiencing this issue myself.

Every thirty seconds in my event log was another Event ID 16385, with error code 0x80041316 from source Security-SPP.

Loading up the XML file showed that there were some worrying differences between the SvcRestartTask file in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform on my machine and a more recent install of Windows 8 that wasn't experiencing the problem.

In the broken file (among other things):

<RestartOnFailure>
          <Priority>3</Priority>
          <Priority>PT1M</Priority>
        </RestartOnFailure>

In the working file (among other things):

<Priority>7</Priority>
        <RestartOnFailure>
          <Interval>PT1M</Interval>
          <Count>3</Count>
        </RestartOnFailure>

So, as advised by others, I moved the file SvcRestartTask from the SoftwareProtectionPlatform folder into my desktop, and gave it an .xml extension. This let me edit in the changes and save it.

Then I opened Administrative Tools from the Control Panel, and opened Task Scheduler.

Navigating down through Microsoft -> Windows -> SoftwareProtectionPlatform, right-clicking on SoftwareProtectionPlatform and selecting "Refresh" - no errors from this node any more.

Then under "Actions", "Import Task", and directed the tool to my freshly-edited XML file. A Refresh didn't show the newly imported task, and selecting "Display All Running Tasks" indicated that communication with the Task Scheduler service was not working. Unable to restart the Task Scheduler service myself, I rebooted the system. No more errors from this task in my event log, no more errors when opening the Task Scheduler.

Now, THAT's an answer. For goodness sake, don't reinstall for this error.

Alun.

Monday, September 23, 2013 12:56 AM