none
Window 7 installation failure, 'Windows could not retrieve information about the discs on this computer'

Question

• I've tried to install with a disc, from a usb all that jazz, everytime I go through 'Windows activated setup is copying temporary files...' then 'Window activated setup is starting...' then I get the same error 'Windows could not retrieve information about the discs on the computer.

I've backed up all my data so I'm good to do a clean installation, I've tried booting from the disc(does nothing, boots normally) and booting from the usb(I get to sit around forever staring at a flashing cursor, apparently going nowhere)

I'm running XP Pro service pack 2, I've met all the requirements for 7.

I've unplugged and disable all unnecessary drives and what not(floppy drive, second disc drive, etc)

I've flicked through half a million pages talking about how to resolve this problem on Vista and XP, none of which helped at all, a few advised enabling the 'Virtual Disk' service, brilliant I apparently don't even have that.

Someone please save my computer from a very short flight off the top of a very tall building.

I'm not a computer tech or anything, I'd like to think I'm pretty clued in but for conveniences sake could any advise be extremely detailed in step-by-step form, just to save me from having to make a 'How do you get to that?' post and someone having to reply to it.

Monday, March 22, 2010 9:46 AM

Answers

• Hi AlecHetho,

Based on my experience, this error usually can occur because the VDS service is set to disabled. To resolve it,  we need to enable the “Virtual Disk” service. Please refer to the following steps:

1)       Click Start / Run and type SERVICES.MSC

2)       Look for the Virtual Disk Service

3)       Right click it and choose "Properties"

4)       Change the Startup Type to Manual, then click the Start button.

5)       Reboot and try the upgrade again.

If there isn’t Virtual Disk Service listed, you can take the following steps to populate the disk information:

1)       Click Start / Run and type devmgmt.msc

2)       Expand the Disk drives and double click the disk.

3)       Click Volumes on  the disk Properties.

4)       If the volumes information are blank, click Populate.

5)       Insert the Windows 7 installation disc and launch Setup.exe

Best Regards

Dale

• Marked as answer by AlecHetho Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:45 AM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:43 AM

All replies

• what version of win 7 are you using? full or upgrade? burnt disc or actual holographic kind?

hard drive and optical drive ...SATA or IDE? or both

do you have an extra external dvd (optical) drive? or can you replace your current optical drive with another.. either in spare parts drawer or another computer?

my answers or disscusion points might not always right but they may have points not yet looked at. If you feel insulted by any points this is not my intention, i'm trying to help
    Monday, March 22, 2010 11:25 PM
  • Hi AlecHetho,

Based on my experience, this error usually can occur because the VDS service is set to disabled. To resolve it,  we need to enable the “Virtual Disk” service. Please refer to the following steps:

If there isn’t Virtual Disk Service listed, you can take the following steps to populate the disk information:

Best Regards

Dale

• Marked as answer by AlecHetho Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:45 AM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:43 AM
  • Totally worked Dale, thanks a bunch, you saved my computers life.

Posting from Windows 7,

Alec

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:45 AM
  • Hi Alec,

I'm glad to see that the problem is resolved. Have a good time! Thanks

Dale.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Hi Dale, As per Alec above had exactly the same problem after using Revo Uninstaller (seems like there might be a theme here) Anyway I have tried all the above and still cannot load my Windows 7 disc "Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on the computer"

Is there anything else you could think of?

Thanks for reading Dave.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:07 PM
  • Hi Dale,

I got the same error while I tried to install Win 7 on a clean hard drive (no system on it at all).  Without any system to set the visual disk, how can I fix the problem?

I am using ASUS P7P55D-E PRO + i3 530 + OCZ RAM 4G 

Thanks

Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:31 AM
  • Dale, I'm confused, what exactly do you mean by "Click on the disc"? What Disc? There's like 5...
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:02 AM
  • Hi AlecHetho,

Best Regards

Dale

I was also having this issue (rundll32.exe was missing) I tried both options above and was still unsuccessful.

(Trying to upgrade a netbook from xp to 7 and it does not have a disk drive. I tried installing the iso from USB and I also connected an external disk drive but still no joy! and I tried safe mode and still still nothing.)

I then went into the BIOS and changed the boot order to CD/DVD, then saved and exit out of there and eureka =) I was able to install the OS.

hope this helps =)

Monday, July 14, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Hi, I'm having the same issue over and over again.  I've followed your advise and populated the disk info, but every time I try to start the install, it says the same thing!  UGHHHHHH!!!!  I've tried for a week now and I just don't know what to do.  Please help me....  My IT guy gave me an activated version copy of the upgrade win7 from xp.   He's out of town now and I can't get it installed.  What can I do to get this installed properly?

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:09 PM