none
Runing SFC /Scannow

Question

• Hi,
    Running SFC / Scannow on Windows 7 Ultimate Every Time come back with below:
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired.
    Had try OneCare Safety Scanner. BTW. the computer work OK.
    What should I do to fix it ?
    Thank.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:25 PM

Answers

• I ran SFC /SCANNOW, and WRP didn't find any problems.  Then I installed RSAT (KB958830), and ran SFC /SCANNOW.  SFC reported a message similar to what you encountered.   I then rebooted and ran SFC /SCANNOW again.  This time, it reported "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.".

I uninstalled the RSAT and re-ran SFC /SCANNOW yet again.  "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them." Subsequent invocations of SFC /SCANNOW indicated "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

So, it would seem that the installation of the RSAT is indeed involved in this behavior. 
    • Marked as answer by Voon K H Tuesday, March 16, 2010 1:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:08 AM
  • Do nothing. The tool already repaired the corrupt files.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:21 AM

All replies

• Do nothing. The tool already repaired the corrupt files.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:21 AM
  • So, you run SFC, it detects and repairs corruption, you immediately reboot and immediately run SFC again, and it is again detecting and repairing corruption?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:47 AM
  • Hi,
    Thank all 
    Just want to know why it did not completed with no Violation
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:39 PM
  • To be clear:
    Each time SFC runs, it tells you it found and fixed corruption, correct?  That is, the "fix" doesn't really seem to "fix" anything, permanently?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Hi,
    Is there way to force the OS to fix the files permanently ?
    Thank
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:10 PM
  • If you check out the CBS.LOG file, do you see anything noteworthy?

If SFC isn't doing so, a recovery option such as a reinstall of Windows, restoring from a backup, or a system restore point (taken prior to the occurrence of the behavior) would seem to be the options available.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Hi, try replaced the files but come out below:

2010-03-12 05:02:10, Info                  CSI    000001bc [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
    2010-03-12 05:02:10, Info                  CSI    000001be [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"diskmgt.CHM" of Server-Help-CHM.diskmgt.Resources, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2010-03-12 05:02:10, Info                  CSI    000001c0 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"diskmgt.CHM" of Server-Help-CHM.diskmgt.Resources, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2010-03-12 05:02:10, Info                  CSI    000001c1 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:278{139}]"Microsoft-Windows-RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.1.7600.16385.RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Default"
    2010-03-12 05:02:10, Info                  CSI    000001c4 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:56{28}]"\??\C:\Windows\Help\mui\0409"\[l:22{11}]"diskmgt.CHM"; source file in store is also corrupted
    2010-03-12 05:02:10, Info                  CSI    000001c6 [SR] Repair complete
    2010-03-12 05:02:10, Info                  CSI    000001c7 [SR] Committing transaction
    2010-03-12 05:02:10, Info                  CSI    000001cb [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired
    Anyway above is only help file form RemoteServerAdministration.
    I think the RemoteServerAdministrationTools installation cause this.

Thank for your help

I will try to replaced the files again later.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:19 PM
  • If you have the RSAT  installed, then that does seem related.  Disappointing that the log states " Could not reproject corrupted file ", followed by " All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired"...   Seems to be a contradiction.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

Anyway I had another Win 7 also install RSAT had this problem.
    There one more Win 7 without RSAT did not have this problem.

Can anyone check if we install the RSAT had this Problem ?

Thankyou
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 5:29 AM
  • I ran SFC /SCANNOW, and WRP didn't find any problems.  Then I installed RSAT (KB958830), and ran SFC /SCANNOW.  SFC reported a message similar to what you encountered.   I then rebooted and ran SFC /SCANNOW again.  This time, it reported "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.".

I uninstalled the RSAT and re-ran SFC /SCANNOW yet again.  "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them." Subsequent invocations of SFC /SCANNOW indicated "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

So, it would seem that the installation of the RSAT is indeed involved in this behavior. 
    • Marked as answer by Voon K H Tuesday, March 16, 2010 1:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:08 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your help :)

So we know that the RSAT had this behavior make me feel easy !
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 1:24 PM
  • So, it would seem that the installation of the RSAT is indeed involved in this behavior. 
    Nice find!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:34 PM
  • I also have RSAT installed and it looks like you are right. Isn't there a fix to this? I need RSAT. I launched sfc offline, from the boot media, and every time I run it it says "windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them". I can run it 10 times. I get the same message every time. Is this normal?
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:13 PM
  • What specific files is RSAT changing that it shouldn't be?  The specifics of that answer, from the log file, could prove helpful in answering your "is there any way to run RSAT without corrupting your system?" question.

One possibility comes to mind...  The antimalware software I use (Avast!) allows an application to be run "in a sandbox", meaning the AV software wraps the application in a virtualized environment and doesn't allow it to change anything "real" on your computer.  If you really need to run an ill-behaved application (RSAT in this case), then maybe you want to try running it "in a sandbox".  Avast! has a version that's free, so you can try it without too much hassle.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Wednesday, February 01, 2012 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 4:44 PM
  • I tried all of that stuff listed here and finally got the computer to update the changes doing the restart through the command line. use this command after the SFC /Scannow,

C:shutdown /r

you can find other commands to change your wait time but that forces restart and applies changes within one minute. upon the restart sequence, you will see the updates being installed and then you should be good.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 8:23 PM