none
Cannot Install XP on Windows 7 machine

Question

• Finding Windows 7 a pain in the neck to use after XP plus I need to connect to some analogue equipment using software that does not work under Windows 7. I decided to install Win XP Pro, however Win 7 blocks the installation so I formatted the Windows partition assuming that a clean install would be straightforward. The installation gets as far as the "Installing Windows" stage and blue screens. My plan now is to install the hard disc in a dock and wipe it, anyone had similar issues?

Milton Hey
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Are you trying to parallel install windows xp on another partition? Or have you removed windows 7 and made a fresh install of windows xp?

I suggest unplug unnecessary external hard drivers ,reset BIOS to check the result.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

if you install XP after 7, XP delete Win7 bootloader and you cannot boot to Windows 7.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:01 PM
  • It is not usually a problem to install Windows XP to any disk that is raw (no partitions, unused) or has any Windows OS in any conceivable state. Make sure the DVD/CD drive is 1st in boot order, place the CD in the drive and boot from it. Use the facilities on the CD to remove the partitions on the drive and instrall.

Please let us know the procedure you are using in some detail including any error messages you see.

Tom
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

Are you trying to parallel install windows xp on another partition? Or have you removed windows 7 and made a fresh install of windows xp?

I suggest unplug unnecessary external hard drivers ,reset BIOS to check the result.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 9:47 AM
  • My issue is the same as seen in this discussion, but I found no resolution herein so will provide replies to the posed questions above in hope of a response:

My high-end laptop came with Vista (at the end of the Vista age) but since then I've upgraded it to Win7 Ultimate, and set aside a partition/unallocated space for installing XP into.  Therefore in short answer, I am trying to parallel install XP on another partition.  I considered but have not removed Win7 and tried a fresh install of XP on a clean disk first because of fear of issues with my 7 registration already being submitted.

There are no external harddrives; BIOS has been reset.
    DVD/CD is first in the boot order.
    I place my XP disk in the machine and boot to it, but during the initial install process (never getting to disk/partition management) I get a frozen blue screen reporting:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

*** STOP:  0X0000007E (OXC0000005, 0XF748E0BF, 0XF78DA208M, 0XF78D9F08)

***        pci.sys - Address F748e0bf ase at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

What do I need to do to get the machine to enable my installation of XP?

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by geofferysmith Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:12 PM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:07 AM
  • You do not specify what your "high-end laptop" is so it is impossible to check to see if there are appropriate chipset and other device drivers available for it to work with XP. Further, you don't specify if you want to install 32 or 64 bit XP (32 is more usual).

Also, if and when you get XP installed, Windows 7 will no longer boot unless you do the appropriate boot-manager repair/adjustments.

Have you considered using Windows 7 XP mode under Windows 7? This is an option with Pro and Ultimate Windows 7 versions. Alternately yoiu could install Virtual Machine software and install XP under that.MS supplies such software free. Sun provides an alternate system, also free. Both are good.

Tom Fergusone

• Proposed as answer by Cutting Up Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:39 AM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:56 AM
  • Hello Bill,

This may seem a bit odd, but I would bet that your SATA ports are set for AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) instead of “Compatible” or ”IDE” or something NOT AHCI. XP does not understand AHCI, and the blue screen you describe is the result of trying to perform the install of XP. You will need to go into your BIOS (F1 or delete usually) just after you turn on your computer. Look for PCI, or SATA settings and change them to not be AHCI.

Also as someone else stated, if you install XP after Win7, XP will overwrite your MBR and you will no longer be able to boot into Win7. You’ll need to use the Win7 disk and repair mode to correct the problem.

HTH, Denis

• Proposed as answer by Kdoud Wednesday, May 05, 2010 4:30 PM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Have you got Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate?  If so then you can install XP mode.  Go to Start > Help and support and search for XP mode.    This way you will have the best of both worlds.

WD

• Proposed as answer by Kdoud Wednesday, May 05, 2010 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:54 PM
  • Sorry...Never commented on this site before.

However...I had the same problem yesterday. It turned out to be the Windows XP version.

I wiped the drive that had Windows 7 installed on it. Put a windows XP SP2 disk in to install

and it ran like it was fine. Got to the Windows is Starting screen and next thing I know BSOD!

So just to be sure I did it again. Then searched for answers on the web...didn't find much. So out of pure curiosity I put a Windows XP SP3

disk in and I didn't have any problem completing the install of the O/S.

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Hi

I have had the same problem trying to put xp on a partition on my laptop which has windows7 installed. After many failed attempts both on my laptop and tower i finally succeeded . I removed windows7 and installed xp first and then windows7 and everything is running great. I get the option at startup to boot with either system and which ever I choose works great. My conclusion is you cannot put xp on a laptop or tower with windows7 on unless you wipe the HDD and install xp first. However I am not a computer geek so I cannot guarantee this to work for you but it has worked for me. Worth a try and I hope it will work for you.

• Proposed as answer by leswado Monday, May 17, 2010 7:55 PM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 2:18 PM
  • This worked for me, I had the reported issue, where the system was blue screening after the initial driver installation. Changed AHCI settings to ATA and I was able to install XP SP2 from an OEM disk. Formatted the existing OS (win7pro) partition and installed over the top, with no problems. 

Cheers

Langtree

Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Been working on IBM compatible PCs and laptops since 89 and the good old Dos days (and using a Commodore 64 for 6 years prior to that ;) ), and yet the solution to this problem eluded me the first time I tried to install XP on a Windows 7 laptop that had SATA set to AHCI.  For the life of me I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't boot to the XP cd even though it was configured to boot to CD first, and I specifically selected boot to CD from the laptop's boot menu.  Changing the SATA setting immediately solved the problem, although the laptop wouldn't boot properly to Win 7 after that until I changed the setting back.  Thanks for solving the problem Denis!
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Who would want to anyway?

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:56 AM