none
Desktop gadgets are managed by your system administrator

Question

• Hi.  I did a clean install and upgraded from XP to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  For a week or so after the upgrade I had windows Gadgets displaying on the desktop but now they're gone and I can't get them back.  When I try, I get "Desktop gadgets are managed by your system administrator"  I am the system administrator but it won't let me manage them. 
    Here is what I've tried so far

1 - Have Right-clicked on the desktop and uncheck/check "Show desktop gadgets"
    2 - Have gone to Control Panel, Turn windows Features on or off, uncheck/check "Windows Gadget Platform". Restarted PC each time.
    3 - Have gone to Local Group Policy Editor, User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Desktop Gadgets and
         verified everythig is "Not configured" includeing Turn off desktop gadgets and Turn Off user-installed desktop gadgets.
    4 - I have UAC set to one level above 'Turn off' but have also gone to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings
         and I have created a DWORD for 'AllowEvelatedProcess' and 'ShowGadgets'  Both are set to 1.

Nothing has worked so far.  I don't know what else to try.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 12:16 AM

Answers

• When gadgets is disabled, the error message would occur in all user accounts when they try to add one gadget. To fix your issue, you can try the following methods:

1. you can try to copy the following commands in a notepad, and save the notepad on your desktop, rename it to fix.reg, then double click it to execute the commands.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Windows\Sidebar]
    "TurnOffSidebar"=-
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Windows\Sidebar]
    "TurnOffSidebar"=-

2. Choose the disable option for the Turn off desktop gadgets in the policy settings.

Good luck! 

John
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:09 AM
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:43 AM

All replies

• When gadgets is disabled, the error message would occur in all user accounts when they try to add one gadget. To fix your issue, you can try the following methods:

1. you can try to copy the following commands in a notepad, and save the notepad on your desktop, rename it to fix.reg, then double click it to execute the commands.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Windows\Sidebar]
    "TurnOffSidebar"=-
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Windows\Sidebar]
    "TurnOffSidebar"=-

2. Choose the disable option for the Turn off desktop gadgets in the policy settings.

Good luck! 

John
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:09 AM
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Thanks, I signed up here, just to vote your post :)
    • Edited by proGamer347 Sunday, February 26, 2012 5:40 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 5:39 AM
  • I also joined this forum for your post. I must have been giving bad search not to find this sooner. It was clear, easy and did the one trick I needed. You are my new best freind.... for today.
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 3:16 AM
  • Thank you! This is great! It worked for me.
    • Proposed as answer by RudeViper Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:54 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by RudeViper Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:56 AM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 1:34 PM
  • I have also joined just to answer this post.... THANK YOU! it worked and now I have my gadgets back.

My only question is why did it happen in the first place? This my own personal computer in my home - where I am the system administrator. I didn't disable them and can't figure out why it happened.

Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Do you ever install Updates for Windows from Microsoft? I'm willing to bet it was part of an update that shut your gadgets down (as it did to me).
    Friday, December 14, 2012 3:37 PM
  • I big thanks for this fix. what is troubling is "WHY" it was changed /modified/corrupted in the first place.
    Monday, December 31, 2012 4:41 PM
  • I tried the fix offered by John Cena and it didn't work for me.  .  Desktop Gadgets is locked out by System Admin...

Any help out there

Monday, June 03, 2013 4:56 PM
  • I tried that but it wouldn't work? Any other suggestions?

Stupid updates?

Please help.

robroz54

Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:40 PM