none
Broadcast signal on windows 8 for Canada (ATSC)

Question

• I would like to know if ATSC, the signal used to broadcast tv signal in Canada has been enabled in the final version of windows 8 for Canada?

I would like to know about the out of the box version, not the unofficial work arounds which I know exists.

Monday, November 26, 2012 5:46 PM

Answers

• No changes or enhancements or additions will be made to WMC. Microsoft wants it
    to go away and considers it a legacy product. So the answer is that MS is not
    going to make any changes to support this.

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:43:23 +0000, Antoine F wrote:

>
    >
    >Hi Leo,
    >
    >you send me a work around link with a note "This should also apply for Windows 8.".
    >
    >Does this mean this is not supported out of the box in the official (final) version?
    >
    >FYI. I am already using this on windows 7.  I have a few channels I can't seem to find an equivalent in analog however.  This is why I wonder if Microsoft will actually enable it and support it rather than having us handle those issues.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Friday, November 30, 2012 10:16 AM
  • It does not look to me that MS is developing or planning a replacement per se
    for WMC. Windows 8 has three disconnected apps for Photos, Music, and Videos
    that have far less library functionality than WMC. They dropped Internet TV from
    W7 WMC and did not replace it in W8. They will not be certifying TV tuners for
    W8. So there is no broadcast TV replacement on the horizon that I can see.

Clearly, MS sees the cloud as the only desired source for consuming Media. This
    is so obvious when you analyze the new W8 apps.

MS also sees the Xbox as the Home Entertainment center now and NOT the PC. Xbox
    is where the development is going.

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 15:58:07 +0000, Antoine F wrote:

>
    >
    >Thanks Barb,
    >
    >Leo beat me on setting your post as an answer.
    >
    >p.s. Is Microsoft considering it a legacy product because they are planning/developping a new one?
    >
    >Thanks again.

Barb Bowman

• Marked as answer by Antoine F Tuesday, December 04, 2012 3:01 PM
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 12:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if this helpful to you:
    http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/enable-atsc-and-qam-in-canada-for-windows-7-media-center.aspx

This should also apply for Windows 8.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:59 AM
  • Hi Leo,

you send me a work around link with a note "This should also apply for Windows 8.".

Does this mean this is not supported out of the box in the official (final) version?

FYI. I am already using this on windows 7.  I have a few channels I can't seem to find an equivalent in analog however.  This is why I wonder if Microsoft will actually enable it and support it rather than having us handle those issues.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:43 PM
  • No changes or enhancements or additions will be made to WMC. Microsoft wants it
    to go away and considers it a legacy product. So the answer is that MS is not
    going to make any changes to support this.

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:43:23 +0000, Antoine F wrote:

>
    >
    >Hi Leo,
    >
    >you send me a work around link with a note "This should also apply for Windows 8.".
    >
    >Does this mean this is not supported out of the box in the official (final) version?
    >
    >FYI. I am already using this on windows 7.  I have a few channels I can't seem to find an equivalent in analog however.  This is why I wonder if Microsoft will actually enable it and support it rather than having us handle those issues.

Barb Bowman

Friday, November 30, 2012 10:16 AM
  • Thanks Barb,

Leo beat me on setting your post as an answer.

p.s. Is Microsoft considering it a legacy product because they are planning/developping a new one?

Thanks again.

Monday, December 03, 2012 3:58 PM
  • It does not look to me that MS is developing or planning a replacement per se
    for WMC. Windows 8 has three disconnected apps for Photos, Music, and Videos
    that have far less library functionality than WMC. They dropped Internet TV from
    W7 WMC and did not replace it in W8. They will not be certifying TV tuners for
    W8. So there is no broadcast TV replacement on the horizon that I can see.

Clearly, MS sees the cloud as the only desired source for consuming Media. This
    is so obvious when you analyze the new W8 apps.

MS also sees the Xbox as the Home Entertainment center now and NOT the PC. Xbox
    is where the development is going.

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 15:58:07 +0000, Antoine F wrote:

>
    >
    >Thanks Barb,
    >
    >Leo beat me on setting your post as an answer.
    >
    >p.s. Is Microsoft considering it a legacy product because they are planning/developping a new one?
    >
    >Thanks again.

Barb Bowman

• Marked as answer by Antoine F Tuesday, December 04, 2012 3:01 PM
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 12:06 PM
  • Thanks a bunch Barb,

Even if I would like to hear differently, it is nice to have an idea what to expect in the future.

Thank you very much for the time you take in answering those posts.  This is very appreciated!

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 3:07 PM