none
Windows 7 DVD Burn Freezes

Question

• Dell Precision Workstation 380 P4 3.0GHz, 4GB Memory, System partition 50GB -- mostly empty.  Other partitions with over 250GB of space.  New Win7 Professional installation with DVD released on Oct 22 Activated Oct 27 on its own separate partition, dual boot with WinXP (on another partition of its own).

Almost no problems so far but very little software yet installed.  Only two devices needed further driver updates which Win7 automatically downloaded and installed.  All hardware OK in Device Manager and in System Information.  No errors or warnings (that I could find,anyway) in Event Viewer.  The Win7 Event Viewer needs more work to be useable. 

Two issues: 
    DVD burn: A simple copy of a 3.5GB image file from HD to DVD -- no 'video processing' or other manipulation of the file was involved --it was just big-- although well within the capacity of a regular DVD.  The copy operation froze about half way through (not responding).  Explorer did not allow shut down or restart.  Instead complete powering down of the CPU was required to recover.  No message in Event Viewer for this!  System DID allow other programs to run while the Burn was crashed. 

Disk Management:  Disk 0 and Disk 1 ids reversed in Win7 as compared to their identification in the System BIOS, and under Win XP.  What I mean to say is that Disk 0 is identified and Disk 1 in Win7 and vice-versa.  Does not seem to cause any problems but curious as to how this could happen and what, of anything, it might mean.   
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since two issues have been involved in this thread, I suggest that we split them into different threads to better understand the problem & reply for all community members, which will also make the whole thread clearer, concise and fast the reply for your reference.

For this thread, let’s focus on the DVD burn issue.

Before going any further, I would like to confirm if the issue occurs if you burn any other file.

I suggest burning it in Clean Boot mode first.

In addition, please update DVD driver from here.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, November 02, 2009 9:20 AM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:58 AM