none
Installing printer & printing from Virtual XP mode

Question

• I am a new user of business software in virtual XP mode. I am having trouble printing from that mode. I have a DYMO 450 label printer and its installation disc. I also have an HP Deskjet 5650 that I do not have software for. I CAN print to a Brother computer in my office for some reason. My business software support people can't help because they are unfamiliar with virtual mode. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 12:00 AM

Answers

• Ah, that's a different problem than I thought you were having, sorry.(I answered in the other thread.)

I have noticed that some USB devices just don't work well from XP mode.  I haven't found a a workaround yet.  I know you'll have to install a driver for the 5650, but I don't know anything about the other printer.

Windows 7 has built in drivers for the 5650 (select HP 5600 series), and once you install that and get it going in Windows 7, XP Mode should be able to print to it because pritners Windows 7 knows about are shared with XP Mode.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:08 AM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:20 PM

All replies

• 1) If you have USB based printer, you can install driver inside VM and use it directly
    2) If your printer is available to Windows 7, it will be shared automatically
    Thanks, -Vinod -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Both of these are USB based printers. I can see them in the USB drop down in virtual mode. They seem to have different problems...

1. The Dymo came with a CD for installation. I can see its icon in the printers section of the virtual mode, but it will not even print a test page unless powered off & on. The same holds for the Windows 7 side. It is brand new.

2. I do not have a CD for the Deskjet 5650 (it is about 5 years old but works perfectly). I can see its icon in the USB drop-down from the virtual mode, but it does not come up in the printer list, so I cannot select it to print. I can print test pages from Windows 7 mode. I tried downloading the driver from the HP website onto the virtual mode, but it will not complete installation. I am going to try downloading it onto the Windows 7 mode to see if that makes a difference.

When I am in virtual mode and select "add a printer," it only gives me the option for installation Wizard but says not to use that for USB based printers.

Any other thoughts?
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Still completely unable to print. Any advice is much appreciated!
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Ah, that's a different problem than I thought you were having, sorry.(I answered in the other thread.)

I have noticed that some USB devices just don't work well from XP mode.  I haven't found a a workaround yet.  I know you'll have to install a driver for the 5650, but I don't know anything about the other printer.

Windows 7 has built in drivers for the 5650 (select HP 5600 series), and once you install that and get it going in Windows 7, XP Mode should be able to print to it because pritners Windows 7 knows about are shared with XP Mode.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:08 AM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:20 PM
  • You can download the HP driver from HP's website. 

Try sharing the Win 7 HP5650 printer and installing the driver for the HP5650 in XP mode also (USB attached option). If it prompts you to attach the device now, just click OK and proceed.  You may be able to change the installed XP printer, using it property page, by changing the port assigned from USB.  I think you need to add a new local port and give the IP address and printer name of the shared printer as the port name (eg: \\192.168.12.211\My-HP5650)

If that does not work, delete the XP Mode printer (you still have the drivers installed) and add the printer again, this time as a networked printer, pointing to the shared printer on the host "\\(shared printer ip)\(printername)".   I think the first technique worked for me, but either may work once the drivers are installed.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 4:00 AM
  • Hi!

In virtual mode, are you talking about a remote session to a termial server? Through RDP client?

If so, You are not the first one that have this problem with the 5600 series HP AiO printers.

BUT CRY NOT!

I have found a solution.

Read this article to set up the printer redirection functionallity on windows server 2003:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239088

1. Create a text file in the following path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\TSPDRW\NTPrintSubs.inf
          Explained also on the article above(typically for IT pros or support)

2. In this file type in the following:
    [Version]
    signature="$CHICAGO$"

[Printers]
    "HP Officejet 5600 series" = "HP DeskJet 3600 series"

The left side is the name of the printer names on the RDP Client side. The right side is the replaced driver on the win2003 server side.

3. On the server side, download the basic driver for the HP DeskJet 3600 series driver for 2000/XP and install this on the server. Delete the printer on the server side, but leave the driver installed. I used this package: 3600_enu_win2k_xpinfu.exe from HP. Expand this package and look for the inf in the expanded folder path: 3600\enu\drivers\win2k_xp. It contains the inf you need, and with a little folder browsing back and forth for the files it needs under install, this driver will install. They are all in the different folders here: 3600\enu\drivers\com_lang and the 3600\common\drivers\com_os folders you have extracted.

4. Log off from the terminal server and log back in with the rdp printer setting checked on the client side. You probably have this allready since You can print on the dymo.

If not for U this time, I hope others can take use of this hard dugg up knowledge to make the HP OffieJet 5600 series printer to work under RDP session to a Windows server 2003 Terminal server.

The server support folks should get this problem fixed for you in 4 minutes, thats what it takes when you know the workaround driver as in this case is shown above for 2 hp models.

Hope it made some sence! Technical notes has never been my best side. :):):)

Roger Hoel
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:46 PM