none
3D Windows XP screen saver problem (result of SP3?)

Question

• I recently downloaded the 3D Windows XP screen saver from Microsoft's site, but when I try to run it (either using the Preview button or after the time out period) it plays for a few seconds then quits as if the mouse or keyboard were touched.

I'm wondering if SP3 could have anything to do with this?

I have all the latest drivers, etc. and all of my other Direct3D screen savers (3D pipes, text, flower box, flying objects) work normally.  I don't have any other screen savers installed besides the XP defaults and the 3D Windows XP.
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:04 AM

All replies

• I have the exact same problem.  But I don't think it's related to SP3 because it did the same thing before I loaded SP3.  I'm using a Gateway laptop with XP Pro.  It uses the Intel 945GM graphics chipset.  All my other screen savers work fine.  I hope someone will find a solution to this because I really like this screen saver and it works on all my other computers.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:00 AM
  • What are the differences in startup programs and services between the computers that display the screen saver properly and the one that doesn't?

On both of my Dells I experience the same problem, but if I do a clean boot (no startup items loaded and no non-Microsoft services) it displays normally.  So it must be a service running in the background that somehow interrupts it, but I haven't yet found which one it is.  Regardless of what the service may be, though, it does not affect any of the other XP screen savers, so the biggest problem seems to be the code of the screensaver itself.  Does anyone know if it is possible to fix the code?
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:26 PM
  • I am having the same exact problem. I just installed this screensaver (maybe) 20 mins ago.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:58 AM
  •  

Hi.

I have had nearly the same problem. But my screen savers weren't working at all, as if someone was touching the keyboard or moving/clicking the mouse, even the preview screen saver wasn't working.

Trying to solve it I have found and installed MOUSTRON..You can find it on google... and with it I have saw that keystrokes were bizarely generated almost once a second.

Ok, I've booted into BIOS and disabled HPT( High Precision Timer, my computer is a Dell Inspiron1501 laptop) and the default windows xp installed screen savers were working fine for now.

But the 3D Windows XP screen saver isn't working properly..It displays Windows XP in white font on the screen but I don't see that window object animation. So perhaps there is a problem with my ATI IGP video (i.e. ATI x1150). On my working computer at my job this screen saver is working fine, but it is an intel machine (pentium 4 intel processor, intel motherboard and intel IGP, i.e. GMA 900).

Saturday, November 08, 2008 12:17 PM