none
I'm losing space on my HDD

Question

• Hi, I hope someone can help me.

I recently clean installed vista on to my PC and now whenever i either install a new application or occasionally when i turn on my PC, I lose between 3 and 10GB of space on my internal pre-installed 640GB HDD.  I'm worried that I will have no free space at some point in the future despite not having so much stuff on my HDD.

Any advice would be really appreciated

thanks
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 1:02 PM

Answers

• Not really sure I understand what your problem is.  If you install an application, you will lose HD space.  But during boot up, you should not be losing space everytime, that is not normal.  My suggestion to you is I would run some sort of spyware utility and make sure you do not have a virus or some spyware/adware on the machine that is installing "software".

You can download Spybot.  It is free and works great.  Follow link:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

Let me know how it works out.
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:29 PM

All replies

• Not really sure I understand what your problem is.  If you install an application, you will lose HD space.  But during boot up, you should not be losing space everytime, that is not normal.  My suggestion to you is I would run some sort of spyware utility and make sure you do not have a virus or some spyware/adware on the machine that is installing "software".

You can download Spybot.  It is free and works great.  Follow link:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

Let me know how it works out.
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:29 PM
  • Thank you for the spybot idea. i ran it and i had to protect 120000 ish unprotected things (cookies, browsers, images etc)

so, the problem is that i had 580GB of space on the HDD but i now have only 470 but when i try to find out where all that space has gone to i simply can't. i understand that installing apps will diminish space but not to the extent of 110Gb for sure?! I have 8G of downloaded info, a few GB in the program files folder but other than that i have no clue why i would have used up 110Gb in total. 

Sorry for the slow reply to your message the other day. i have had a hectic few days. i do appreciate the advice.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 10:46 PM
  •  

WinDirStat shows where disk space is being used including a nice graphical display. Just let the mouse pointer hover over the coloured areas to identify different file types.

It won’t remove anything but it’s a good starting point in identifying the large ‘chunks’ of used space. Download it here http://windirstat.info/

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:28 PM
  •  

Thats a very useful program. thank you for telling me about it.

it tells me that i have 29.9GB alocated to the various parts of my C drive. that would mean that the other missing 82GB is somehwere else. might i have another (secret) partition on my c drive that i dont know about?

im sorry if i don't really know what the problem is. i'm appreciating the advice.

thanks again

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:57 PM
  • In addition to the above message, i have just tried Acronis to check my partitions and the only other partition there seems to be is something labelled OEMBP which has ini files and other stuff that only takes up 12 GB.

If i make a clean installation by formatting my HDD would I solve the problem?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Hello Adamski.... eerm..installing new software often creates large temporary files as well as new system restore points...might I suggest you run spybots secure shredder and delete all temp files...you can also use disk cleanup. click start>control panel>performance information and tools..>disk cleanup.>clean files for all users. this will also tell you where some of that space is...also if your pc is running ok at the moment you could turn off System restore and wait a moment and turn it back on ...this will free up space taken up by previous restore points...again click start>control panel>Backup and Restore centre>select>system protection. (in the left pane)...to turn off system restore untick any hdd that has a tick next to it and click ok...wait for it to delete the restore points and then turn it back on again by ticking next to the hdd you want to and click >create> ok

you could also try to use microsoft free "one care and tune up" scan but it sometimes takes many hours over the internet.
    however it will also clean up the registry....hope this helps.

jph
    Saturday, December 06, 2008 5:55 PM