none
Stop taskbar items from flashing!

General discussion

• Is there any way to stop taskbar items from flashing yellow and begging for attention until I click on them? This is particularly with Live Messenger. I usually have Messenger and my browser side by side so I can see the conversation without switching Windows. It is VERY distracting to have the icon constantly flashing everytime someone says something. The only way to stop it is to click on the messenger Window and click back! Who at MS thought this was a good idea??? There should at least be an option.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:40 AM

All replies

• Agreed. Flashing when a newly opened window hasn't been used is way excessive. Also the style of shading when its finished flashing and become solid, clashes badly with the rest of the taskbar:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2zof3bp.png

...Now how about also completely abolishing those ugly dotted lines that appear around junk from time to time. Freaking awful and totally useless!!!
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:39 AM
  • Agreed. Flashing when a newly opened window hasn't been used is way excessive. Also the style of shading when its finished flashing and become solid, clashes badly with the rest of the taskbar:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2zof3bp.png

...Now how about also completely abolishing those ugly dotted lines that appear around junk from time to time. Freaking awful and totally useless!!!

Why is it "way excessive?"  Seems to be a subjective judgment, certainly not a definitive fact. BTW, as to the shading clashing with the taskbar, the color of the taskbar can be changed, and can also be shifted to various levels of transparency.  Personally, I keep things set to a very high degree of transparency, but that is as much a subjective choice as your thought that its default "clashes badly" with something....

Stephen

Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:29 AM
  • Why is it "way excessive"? When has this super bold flashing ever helped you by pointing out that you haven't interacted with a new window yet? "Oh no! now there are four lightly colored program icons? How can I go on without knowing the one that I just clicked 30 seconds ago!!!...

Obviously you have no idea what I mean by shading when I say it clashes. If you'd think I'm saying it should match the taskbar's color and transparency (which by the color of the screenshot it should be obvious that I know its customizable durrr), its probably not worth going through the effort to explain it.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:17 PM
  • I don't know if there is a way to stop taskbar items flashing in Windows 7, but I also find it very annoying. It happened in XP and Vista too and I have long been searching for a way to disable flashing altogether (although I've pretty much given up by now and just put up it with, teeth gritted). I'm not saying get rid of it by default (although I really can't see what help it is), I'm just saying can't we have an option to disable it? It can be incredibly distracting, I find it impossible to ignore, and have to waste time clicking back and forth to get it to go away. I want to be able to ignore programs if I'm doing something else, I want to be able to tell programs to shut up and leave me alone! Programs are not fire alarms, they are not something which it is dangerous to ignore, it is perfectly OK to ignore them if they are a low priority to you, or you are planning to get back to them in due course. They should not be like pestering children, constantly whining for attention, obnoxiously lighting up like there is some kind of incredibly important time-critical issue requiring absolutely immediate attention. Most if not all of the time, as you said, you just have to click the stupid program and then click back into the program you actually want to devote attention to. It is absurd that there is no way to prevent programs demanding your attention, and frustrating.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 11:43 AM
  • Well I finally found a solution after many years.

Use this program:
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,24156-order,4-c,desktop/description.html

It also hides the bar on the bottom of the screen when you have it set to autohide.

A few problems:

1. When you click the start button on your keyboard the taskbar will not reappear, not a big deal since you need to move your mouse down there to click anything anyway.

2. The start button likes to show up when the taskbar is not showing, this can be fixed with this little program:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7-start-button-changer-released

just take one of the sample BMP's in the folder and open it with paint or photoshop and make it completely black and then use that file. Now you will not have a start button graphic but it is worth it compared to the other annoyances.

3. When using Aero Peek on the taskbar and floating over the thumbnails the taskbar will hide.. Again, not really a huge deal for me because if I am floating over the thumbnails then I will likely be clicking on one, not going back to the taskbar, but this could be annoying to some.

Edit: this is only useful if you have the taskbar set to autohide.. If not then you will still see the blinking.

• Edited by tbob33 Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:52 PM 3rd problem
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Typically human that a fight would break out over whether the task bar flashing is annoying or not. Rather than a person just being able to ask for a solution for THEIR problem.

Check these settings in the Control Panel (Classic View).

1. Click on "Ease of Access Center" icon.
    2. Click on "Use text or visual alternatives for sounds"
    3. Uncheck "Turn on visual notifications for sounds (Sound Sentry)".
    4. Click Save.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:05 PM
  • Same issue here.  I have been trying to find a way to fix this for years.  It was supposed to be a switch that was able to be disabled,  but MS removed that option from the OS.  I dislike the stupid flashing (Which is my head is someone screaming at me constantly for attention) more than I can express.  It makes me pissed off when my friends talk to me on MSN.  It makes the very use of MSN into something distasteful and disruptive.  I can't express how disruptive having to click on a stupid flashing square every 2 seconds making me stop what I am doing to pay special attention to this stupid chat window.  Guess what, MSN isn't the most important thing in the world and it shouldn't take priority over EVERYTHING ELSE as it demands attention to the exclusion of everything else because of this "feature".  

I honestly think that the people who make the decisions about this crap at Microsoft don't actually use the products they foist on others.  I think this "feature" pretty much proves it.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 8:23 PM
  • thanks for the simple answer, this is all we needed, didn't care about the evil of microsoft or the good of google...or vice versa...just the answer
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:39 PM
  • I actually have a similar problem.. yet pretty different. I'm hoping for a good answer to this as well.

My problem is that my theme is my favorite color, an orangey/yellow. And when it flashes to alert me, I don't see it since it blends in with the taskbar.

I know I could just change the color.. but I like it customized like this :/

Guess I can't complain then, can I...

Monday, March 05, 2012 6:57 PM
  • MY GOD I couldn't agree more!  I've used every MS OS back to DOS for a very broad range of tasks (mercifully skipping Vista, except for a brief BETA experience), and aside from the abysmal Windows ME, Win 7  is THE most CONSISTENTLY IRRITATING piece of software I've ever come into contact with.  I bloody well HATE it, and the *&%$% infuriatingly distracting, in-your-face "blinking taskbar" is a prime example of WHY, though by no means the only one.  In my case, the thing would often pop up without ANY of the icons blinking, leaving me with no choice but to close window-after-window one at a time until the f'ing thing disappears again.  All the while I'M TRYING TO DO SOMETHING!!! And as someone eluded, it will NOT be trying to alert me that the HOUSE IS ON FIRE, which one might expect from the "urgency" of it, but rather will INEVITABLY just be a FireFox window that has been sitting on Google for 3 hours, or a WE window which hasn't changed all day.  Here is a utility I use which will hide the miserable thing when you push a hotkey: http://www.mediafire.com/?dy3ki8wkyzamm94

Honestly, it's as though the people who designed this thing never actually USE a computer!  They simply justify their work existence by coming up with an unending stream of pointless "features" and "innovations".  How ANYONE can NOT SEE how  IRRITATING crap like this is really is beyond me.  An  OS is a TOOL, it is not THE POINT; it is used to DO SOMETHING ELSE!  XP and Win2k weren't perfect, but they were LIGHT YEARS more user friendly than this irritating conglomeration of badly thought out nonsense and "gee whiz" visual effects.  I realize M$ has made ANOTHER fortune peddling this dysfunctional piece of drivel, which is OF COURSE its REAL purpose, but I just despise this OS!

• Edited by defconcon Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:18 AM
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:17 AM
  • Why is it "way excessive?"  Seems to be a subjective judgment, certainly not a definitive fact. BTW, as to the shading clashing with the taskbar, the color of the taskbar can be changed, and can also be shifted to various levels of transparency.  Personally, I keep things set to a very high degree of transparency, but that is as much a subjective choice as your thought that its default "clashes badly" with something....

Stephen

This is TOTALLY ANNOYING!!!!  I have my task-bar hidden ON PURPOSE because I want the screen real estate!  I leave the messenger window in the background and get back to answering the chat when I have a moment.

But instead...  Every single time someone sends me a message, Messenger has to pop-up the task bar, overriding the window I'm working in, forcing me to click on Messenger and give it attention, just to go back to the window I was working on.  And by the time that happens, someone sends another message, forcing me to give Messenger attention again, in order to re-hide my task-bar.

Because for some reason it's NEEDY and wants my attention IMMEDIATELY!

Take a moment and set your task bar to auto-hide for a little bit and you'll see how quickly this behavior becomes annoying!

GIVE ME A FREEKIN' BREAK!!!  I'm about ready to trash this program altogether because of this one extremely annoying behavior.  At least give me the option to TURN IT OFF!!!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:49 AM
  • Typically human that a fight would break out over whether the task bar flashing is annoying or not. Rather than a person just being able to ask for a solution for THEIR problem.

Check these settings in the Control Panel (Classic View).

1. Click on "Ease of Access Center" icon.
    2. Click on "Use text or visual alternatives for sounds"
    3. Uncheck "Turn on visual notifications for sounds (Sound Sentry)".
    4. Click Save.

This does not fix the fact that every time the application wants attention, it brings the taskbar back up in the foreground, blocking the window you are working in until you acknowledge the application.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:55 AM
  • I want to be able to ignore programs if I'm doing something else, I want to be able to tell programs to shut up and leave me alone! Programs are not fire alarms, they are not something which it is dangerous to ignore, it is perfectly OK to ignore them if they are a low priority to you, or you are planning to get back to them in due course. They should not be like pestering children, constantly whining for attention, obnoxiously lighting up like there is some kind of incredibly important time-critical issue requiring absolutely immediate attention. 

AMEN!!!!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:00 AM
  • You can try changing this value from HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundFlashCount to zero: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957205.aspx
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Try this:

http://download.cnet.com/Hide-Taskbar/3000-2072_4-10552077.html
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:00 AM
  • Try this:

http://download.cnet.com/Hide-Taskbar/3000-2072_4-10552077.html
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:00 AM
  • Try this:

http://cnet.co/jDFtx1
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Frankly I love the flashing.  It reminds me of my wife.  Nagging at me about not doing something.  It also reminds me of the Original Star Trek with Harry Mudd.  The one with the androids.  In the end they programmed the machine to make all the androids look like his wife.

You guys should lighten up.  With all the troubles in the world getting bent out of shape if someone hates the flashing or loves it is the least of our worries.  Seriously though, thanks for all the great suggestions.  Changing those settings to disable the flashing should help speed up your computer a tad bit.

Take Care.

Helpful nice guy

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:00 PM
  • It seems works for me
    Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:33 AM
  • It's excessive because the user of the computer, who is apparently very distracted by it, says it is excessive. It is entirely reasonable to declare that it is excessive and to have a way to shut it off.
    Thursday, May 01, 2014 5:52 PM