none
Print spooler hangs with network print jobs to VISTA

Pregunta

• Hi there,

Because my question concerns the actual printing in VISTA I believe it is for this forum.

So, here is the Situation:

1. Desktop station with Vista 64. HP LaserJet 1018 connected to it (have full support for VISTA 64 and print local jobs just fine, latest drivers installed from the HP site). Shared.
    2. Laptop with XP SP2 x86.
    3. Successfully browsed from the XP to the shared printer. Installed as a local printer on the Laptop using new local port (\\vista-pc\printerName).

Now, the only way I got this printer to print job from the XP is the following:
    1. In VISTA: Turn the UAC OFF.
    2. In XP: Authenticate to the VISTA with the username that is the OWNER of the printer.

Any other attempts to print (i.e. authenticate with different name, that has full access to the printer /SECURITY TAB/, or UAC ON) just sends the print job to the Queue and nothing happens untill restart of print spooler service on the VISTA.

Any ideas and suggestions are more than welcome.

viernes, 04 de enero de 2008 8:09

Respuestas

• Hi,

please configure the following policies on your vista desktop and try again.

Local Computer Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers

Allow print spooler to  accept client connections > to enabled

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers\

Point and Print Restrictions > to disabled

Please do not forget to add the x86 XP printer drivers onto your desktop vista machine as additional driver.Otherwise if you click the shared printer queue you will get the wrong drivers.

On your desktop vista open printer and faxes > right click blank field > Run as administrator > Server Properties > Drivers Tab and add the x86 drivers for your xp laptop.

If you know clicks the queue you will get the x86 driver.

Please inform us if you able to print after applying this action.We will try to help you.

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

viernes, 04 de enero de 2008 12:35
  •  

Ok,

After applying these settings AND applying one more setting (I had found while searching for solution) did help. So now I can print documents with no problem.

The additional setting I am talking about is "Enable bidirectional support" at "PORT" tab of the printer properties.

There are a bunch of post through the internet saying to DISABLE this "bidirectional support" but it was not helping until I applied also the security policies.

Thanks for the support!

I think this posts can be structured and put into some FAQ, because this network printing with VISTA seems to cause a lot of troubles.

Regards,

Anton

viernes, 04 de enero de 2008 17:06

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

please configure the following policies on your vista desktop and try again.

Local Computer Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers

Allow print spooler to  accept client connections > to enabled

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers\

Point and Print Restrictions > to disabled

Please do not forget to add the x86 XP printer drivers onto your desktop vista machine as additional driver.Otherwise if you click the shared printer queue you will get the wrong drivers.

On your desktop vista open printer and faxes > right click blank field > Run as administrator > Server Properties > Drivers Tab and add the x86 drivers for your xp laptop.

If you know clicks the queue you will get the x86 driver.

Please inform us if you able to print after applying this action.We will try to help you.

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

viernes, 04 de enero de 2008 12:35
  • Hi,

Thank you for your answer, but I am back to starting position. Nothing has changes since I applied the changes.

Again I can only print with UAC OFF and using only one particular account.

Regards,

Anton

viernes, 04 de enero de 2008 16:52
  •  

Ok,

After applying these settings AND applying one more setting (I had found while searching for solution) did help. So now I can print documents with no problem.

The additional setting I am talking about is "Enable bidirectional support" at "PORT" tab of the printer properties.

There are a bunch of post through the internet saying to DISABLE this "bidirectional support" but it was not helping until I applied also the security policies.

Thanks for the support!

I think this posts can be structured and put into some FAQ, because this network printing with VISTA seems to cause a lot of troubles.

Regards,

Anton

viernes, 04 de enero de 2008 17:06
  • Hi Anton,

thank you for your feedback.You are always welcome.

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

sábado, 05 de enero de 2008 8:43
  • Microsoft: This is completely unacceptable - Home Preimium does not have the ability to change policies - you people at microsoft do not include secpol.msc in Home Premium probably just to annoy us.

Your Spooler is defective and Hangs with a shared printer and does not print until the spooler is restarted - how can you release such garbage software - I will never use Vista.

sábado, 26 de enero de 2008 18:56
  • Hi defeedme,

do not annoy Smile) Please describe us the the problem and we will try to help you !

1) On wich platform have you shared the printer and wich driver are you using.Please send us also a link to the driver ?

2) Does the spooler hang if you click the shared printer ?

Please describe us the exact problem.

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

domingo, 27 de enero de 2008 1:25
  • I can definitely understand defeedme's frustration.

I've been trying to get my printer to work over the network for weeks, and I've read tons of reports of this bug but I can't employ any of the workarounds because the features I need access to are disabled in vista home premium.

i.e. - I need to edit my group policy (gpedit.msc) which doesn't exist.  Or I need to edit my registry manually looking for a registry key that obviously doesn't exist either

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers!RegisterSpoolerRemoteRpcEndPoint

sábado, 10 de mayo de 2008 4:44
  • For those with Vista Home versions and no access to the Group Policy Editor, you can copy the below text to a new text file.  Rename the text file to something.reg.  When you double click a .reg file it will import it to your registry.

I was running into this same problem where a printer was shared from a Vista Home Premium computer.  I was trying to print from a Windows XP computer, and the jobs would stay in the Print Queue until I restarted the Print Spooler service.

After applying these registry changes and disabling the Bidirectional support I was able to print without a restart of the Print Spooler Service.  If you're looking for the Bidirectional support, right click on your printer, and go to properties.  Click on the Ports tab.  At the bottom of this tab there should be two check boxes: one for pooling, and one for bidirectional support.

Here's the text file, copy everything below this into the text file and save it as a .reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers]
    "RegisterSpoolerRemoteRpcEndPoint"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\PointAndPrint]
    "Restricted"=dword:00000000
    sábado, 21 de febrero de 2009 0:21
  • Dear friends

My problem is similar, but not the same. I have two pcs with Vista, and in one of them Im trying to share a printer

In the other vista machine I cant see the server machine in the network, so I opened Explorer and accessed it trough \\machine_name, and I could succesfully add the printer

However when I try to print the print job remains in spool till I reboot the server machine.

I applied the policies as suggested and tried to disable the bidirectional support, but when I do that it wont let me print even locally, so I had to enable it back

What else can I do?

Thanks in advance for your help
    miércoles, 04 de marzo de 2009 22:57