none
Change background color of Windows Themes

Pregunta

• All the Windows themes have background as either in white or in black.
    What I mean is that if I select the Windows 7 theme, using Windows Explorer to browse through the folders, the background is in glaring white.
    If I select my theme as High Contrast #1/#2/Black, using Windows Explorer to browse through the folders, the background is in black.

Is there a way to have the background in grey or brown or other colors when browsing through the folders.

I know I can get grey or other color if I choose Windows Classic theme and make changes there.
    However, when I do that, it loses the feel of Windows 7.

Thanks for reading. :)
    • Cambiado Carey FrischMVP, Moderator domingo, 06 de septiembre de 2009 14:58 Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    domingo, 06 de septiembre de 2009 8:01

Respuestas

Todas las respuestas

• Select Personalize when right-clicking the Desktop, and click on Windows color in the window that pops up. Select Advanced appearance settings, and in the drop-down box, choose Window and select your color (a nice blue color I like is the Hex color #a9dbf6). Note that this only works with the Basic theme, if you use Aero you're hosed.

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Propuesto como respuesta JoelbX domingo, 06 de septiembre de 2009 13:51
    • Marcado como respuesta Carey FrischMVP, Moderator domingo, 06 de septiembre de 2009 14:58
    domingo, 06 de septiembre de 2009 13:51
  • Thanks Joelbx for your time but I want to use Aero. I know I can go to Windows Classic theme and change the background color that way.

This is me thinking aloud. :)
    Does anyone know where they store the themes and also the syntax?
    Why?
    They have the Windows 7 theme with white background and the High Contrast #1 with black background.
    If the difference is just the color, then changing the color with the right code would produce grey/brown or whatever color one chooses.
    domingo, 06 de septiembre de 2009 14:30
  • Thanks Joelbx for your time but I want to use Aero. I know I can go to Windows Classic theme and change the background color that way.

This is me thinking aloud. :)
    Does anyone know where they store the themes and also the syntax?
    Why?
    They have the Windows 7 theme with white background and the High Contrast #1 with black background.
    If the difference is just the color, then changing the color with the right code would produce grey/brown or whatever color one chooses.
    Yep, Aero doesn't have too many color options... but then most people are fine with the white window bgcolor.

Where Windows themes are stored (in win7 and previous versions of windows like Vista and XP):
    Theme: C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\
    Sounds: C:\Windows\Media
    Cursors: C:\Windows\Cursors

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    domingo, 06 de septiembre de 2009 22:32
  • Thanks for the info.

I am going to dig deeper into it.

I know that there are people who have been asking how to change the white background. :)
    domingo, 06 de septiembre de 2009 23:26
  • Hey guys.

I too wanted to change the default window background colour without losing the aero style.  I've now managed to do it.

1. Pick an aero theme to base your theme off (Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization).
    2. Make any changes you want to the desktop background, window (border) colour, sounds etc.
    3. Save your theme (remember the name you give it).
    4. Open C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\[themename].theme in a text editor (e.g. notepad).
    5. Scroll to the bottom where there should be a section called [Control Panel\Colors].
    6. Modify the Window=255 255 255 line to whatever colour you want (the values are red green blue, each can be from 0 to 255).  As an example I use 240 240 240 to get a slightly off white grey which i find easier to look at.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: err now I feel stupid.  You can just go to "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance" and click "Advanced appearance settings..."

I'm sure that didn't work with aero last time I tried it!
    martes, 13 de octubre de 2009 16:47
  • The same problem with me. I have been using gray color as window background to protect from glaring white in my previous XP and current Windows 2008 (classic theme as it doesn't come with Aero). There is no option to do that in Windows 7. The gray color I prefer which is  settable from advanced properties does make notepad background gray but it doesn't do for file explorer and other stuffs.
    sábado, 06 de febrero de 2010 18:39
  • I have W7 64 bit Ultimate and I don't appear to have and "Advanced appearance settings."

However, I edited the .theme file for the window color and appearance and although itworks to some degree, it doesn't change the color of the background in any of the "explorer style" windows for example, like "Computer" on the desktop.

I'd like to change the background color on all windows in the system, not just applications and the occasional background like below.  Surely this is possible in Aero?

I want to change the white area as well as indicated with the arrow.

jueves, 15 de julio de 2010 12:14
  • At last - thank you.

I can now use he Aero themes without being blasted out by W7 pale bright colors.

viernes, 13 de enero de 2012 14:22
  • At last I have been able to set up Windows 7 with a different default background colour. The way to do it may seem obvious once its explained but there is NOTHING about this in any support documentation! Thanks a million

• Editado BoltMole miércoles, 20 de junio de 2012 12:03
    miércoles, 20 de junio de 2012 12:02
  • Can you help? What is this obvious way?
    martes, 20 de noviembre de 2012 14:23