none
Vista Home Premium requires SP1(released in 2008) be installed before SP2 will install. Does OEM Vista HP still have to be installed on 2010 Purchased Toshiba Laptop a305?

Pregunta

• SYSTEM at issue is OEM installed 32-bit Vista Home Premium (x-86) on a Toshiba A305 platform with 3GB ram purchased in May, 2010.  Now its time to update the system to Service Pack 2, which requires SP1 be already installed.  Question:  Was Vista SP1 already incorporated into the purchased Vista Home Premium OEM installation OR was it incorporated via Automatic Updates feature of Windows Update during the ownership interval  between May 2010 and June 20, 2011 OR is am I now required to install a Service Pack 1 package SO I CAN GET THE SERVICE PACK 2 TO INSTALL? 

I made 4 attempts to download and install the Windows Update of Service Pack 2 resulting in 4 failures, 4 repetitions of the successful installation only to have the same 4 repetitions of the message "Service Pack did not install. Reverting changes.....Do not turn off or unplug the computer."  Error Messages 80070643 etc.

SO:  Repeated attempts to use the Readiness Tool and Stand Alone Vista SP2 package (5 so far) have resulted in successful installation but upon reboot, Stage 3 of 3 expands to 100% complete JUST BEFORE I GET MESSAGE "SERVICE PACK DID NOT INSTALL. REVERTING ETC. DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG THE COMPUTER.

Suffice it to say, I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER! 

MAY I SUGGEST to some loyal Microsoft expert that, as part of MS's support of Vista, a full and fully correct set of instructions be provided?  Whatcha got online sucks.

creyn1

domingo, 26 de junio de 2011 22:05

Respuestas

• Hi,

Thank you for posting. Sorry for the inconvenient.

Q:Was Vista SP1 already incorporated into the purchased Vista Home Premium OEM installation

A:No

Q:was it incorporated via Automatic Updates feature of Windows Update during the ownership interval between May 2010 and June 20, 2011

Q:am I now required to install a Service Pack 1 package

A: In theory, no.

At this point, I would like to confirm is the system information shows it is SP1?

I suggest we install SP2 by the following steps.

Step 1:Run System File Checker (SFC) to repair Windows Vista system files
    =================================================
    1. Click Start, type "cmd" (without the quote) in the Start Search bar, right-click cmd.exe and click run as administrator.
    2. Input the following commands and press Enter after each line.

sfc /scannow

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow". This command will take several minutes to complete.

Restart the computer.

Then, I suggest downloading the Standalone Installer and installing it in Clean Boot Mode.

Step 2: Install Windows Vista SP2 in Clean Boot Mode
    =========================================
    Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Windows Vista SP2.

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All", click "OK" and restart the computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please double click the downloaded Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP2.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    viernes, 01 de julio de 2011 10:54

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

Thank you for posting. Sorry for the inconvenient.

Q:Was Vista SP1 already incorporated into the purchased Vista Home Premium OEM installation

Q:was it incorporated via Automatic Updates feature of Windows Update during the ownership interval between May 2010 and June 20, 2011

Q:am I now required to install a Service Pack 1 package

A: In theory, no.

At this point, I would like to confirm is the system information shows it is SP1?

I suggest we install SP2 by the following steps.

Step 1:Run System File Checker (SFC) to repair Windows Vista system files
    =================================================
    1. Click Start, type "cmd" (without the quote) in the Start Search bar, right-click cmd.exe and click run as administrator.
    2. Input the following commands and press Enter after each line.

sfc /scannow

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow". This command will take several minutes to complete.

Restart the computer.

Then, I suggest downloading the Standalone Installer and installing it in Clean Boot Mode.

Step 2: Install Windows Vista SP2 in Clean Boot Mode
    =========================================
    Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Windows Vista SP2.

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All", click "OK" and restart the computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please double click the downloaded Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP2.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    viernes, 01 de julio de 2011 10:54
  • Hello and Thank you for the response.

This is to advise you that I am not on the Toshiba machine and just picked up notice of your respnse this morning, July 8.  I will not have a chance to use the procedure you recommend until this evening at the earliest (if I can lasso the kid).  Be assured, however, I will apply it at the earliest opportunity and get back to you with perhaps somewhat more appropriate comments when and if it works.  Again, I appreciate your detailled response.

Charles

creyn1@comcast.net

Charles R
    viernes, 08 de julio de 2011 15:27
  • Hello, again!

My apologies for the belated response, but lassoing the (24y.o., employed FT+) kid is more of a problem than you may realize.  Finally got a chance to follow your instructions on the Tosh Laptop with the following results:

1.  RE: your inquiry:   A: In theory, no.

Response:  Toshiba A-305 Laptop System Information Summary reads as follows (in pertinent part):

OS Name:  Microsoft@Windows Vista Home Premium

Version:     6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

Other OS Description:  Not Available

OS Manufacturer:  Microsoft Corporation

2.  RE: Step 1   Action:   C:\Windows\System32>  sfc /scannow  Enter    

Results:   Beginning System scan.   Process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resources Protection FOUND CORRUPT FILES BUT WAS UNABLE TO FIX SOME

OF THEM. (CAPS added for emphasis only)  Details are included in CBS.Log

windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.Log              For example, C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.Log

3.  RE:  Step 2 Action(s):  Results were as follows (as I anticipated due to system files corruption):

Service Pack did not install.  Reverting Changes.  Do not turn off your computer.

Conclusion:  Sounded pretty familiar to me, even if it has been a week or so.

My thought is that under these circumstances I will need to get an ISO copy disc of Windows Vista Home Premium that includes SP2 and do a re-install.  Can you recommend a better way?  If not, can you recommend a site to download an ISO disc file including SP2, or do you have a better way?  I'm all thumbs, er, ears.

Further Information:   Kid has to use his computer ats work this weekend, so I won't be able to test any other premises immediately.  However, I welcome your thoughts and will implement your suggestions at the earliest possible time and provide further response to you.  

Again, thanks for your input.

Charles

creyn1@comcast.net

Charles R
    viernes, 15 de julio de 2011 23:57
  • I Have similar with the following differences:

Q:Was Vista SP1 already incorporated into the purchased Vista Home Premium OEM installation?

A: YES

I currently have on my Gateway MC7801U lap"Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre;">Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Version: 6.0.6001

Service Pack 1 Build 6001

Again, it came pre-installed on this system.

The computer won't fails with the sp2 update, saying something about having to have SP1 already installed.  In the System Information it says SP1 is installed.  IE9 won't install.

I have read that this SP1 Build 6001 version is a pre-release and it cannot be upgraded to a final release of sp1? 

Please let me know what I should do.  Thank you.

miércoles, 21 de marzo de 2012 7:29