none
0xc000000e error when deployed with Imagex

Pregunta

• Hi,

1. I installed Vista beta 2 (build 5384) on Dell system. installation was ok vista is working fine

2. Captured vista image with Imagex /compress fast /capture z:\share\vist_img.wim "My vista" command by booting Windows PE cd.

3. Reboot system with windows PE cd and used diskpart as follows on same dell system:

1 Diskpart

2. select disk 0

3. clean

4. create partition primary

5. select partition 1

6. active

7. format

8. exit

4. Redeploying captured image on the same dell system with command imagex /apply z:\share\vist_img.wim 1 c:

5. Image deployed and when rebooted getting this error message

File: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Can someone please tell what wrong I am doing, its same system I captured and re-applying image on same hardware..

Thanks

jueves, 11 de enero de 2007 14:10

Todas las respuestas

• Hi Raheel

Before capturing with ImageX, you need run one of these commands on your image:

CMD> Sysprep /Generalized /OOBE /Shutdown
    CMD> Sysprep /Generalized /AUDIT /Shutdown

OOBE will prepare for end-user, and AUDIT is for testing purposes.

jueves, 11 de enero de 2007 18:29
  • Hmmm... Out of the box, a Dell system comes with two partitions: a small, hidden Dell Utility partition and the main system partition.

So how about this explanation for your scenario - you installed Vista to the second partition, captured it, then ran Diskpart and wiped the disk clean.  When you rebuilt the disk you left out the Dell partition.  BCD is expecting to find winload.exe on the second partition, not the first.

Here are a few suggestions for fixing it, there are no doubt other alternatives:

a)  put the Dell partition back, create/format/activate a second partition then apply your WIM image of C: (recommended if you want to keep the diagnostic utils)

b) If you don't care about the diag functionality, boot from the Vista DVD and choose Repair

c) if you haven't put a lot of work into your image, boot from the Vista DVD and re-install using your preferred partition layout

d) come up in WinPE and use BCDEDIT to modify the boot config

Hope this helps,

-geoff

viernes, 19 de enero de 2007 19:09
  • 1) Are you using diskpart with the script option?(/s) If so try typing it in. There can be timing issues at work here... enumeration happens too fast.

2) Was the HDD used before? I always dsx (disk wipe) my drives before use.

jueves, 08 de febrero de 2007 17:39
  • I get the same error when I am capturing an image that I have not Syspreped.  (This is intentional, as I am capturing an image that is an "interim" to go back in case of a Sysprep error.)

What I do to workaround it is to simply to place my Vista DVD in the drive, boot to it, and tell it to repair.  It does something with associating the the partition, and the image is good to go.

It's not ideal, but will keep you from losing an image.

Good luck!

jueves, 08 de marzo de 2007 1:49
  • Using the Command Prompt Recovery Console off of the Vista DVD, the command

CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd

always solves the problem for me, but I don't know how to add it into the batch file that executes the image process because it requires the answer "y" to fix the boot. You can add the BootRec.exe and it's en-US folder with BootRec.exe.mui to your Imagex/winRE cd, and you can type this command as soon as the download is finished (you shouldn't have to reboot and repair). I'll post how to copy the files and write them with your imagex/winre disk if anyone needs help.

The bigger problem is still getting down to Why is this boot out of whack in the first place? I don't want this BootRec in the process, I want the image to be uploaded and downloaded clean.

Hopefully someone finds the cause soon.
    Cheers
    • Propuesto como respuesta saberman lunes, 20 de abril de 2009 13:00
    jueves, 12 de abril de 2007 0:15
  • First off, it is supported to restore a Vista image onto the same physical machine without running sysprep beforehand. Let me say this again, if and only if you are restoring a non-sysprep'ed Vista image onto the SAME physical machine, then it is supported. It is NOT supported to deploy a non-sysprep'ed Vista image onto another physical machine, even if the hardware pieces are all exactly the same.

Secondly, in your case (where you deploy the non-sysprep'ed image onto the same physical machine, but still it fails to boot), you have hit a known issue, and it is by design. In Vista, each harddisk is given a disk ID. When you run diskpart script to "clean" the disk, the old ID is gone, and a new one is assigned. When Vista image tries to boot, it will look for the old ID, and it can't find it. That is the only reason that your scenario breaks.

Third, what could you have done to avoid this? You could have avoided to clean the disk. Just re-format the partition that you are retoring the image, and it would have worked. This is because format does not clear the disk ID.

Hope this helps.

• Propuesto como respuesta PeterReece jueves, 20 de agosto de 2009 14:30
    jueves, 12 de abril de 2007 19:28
  • It turns out this was my problem http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929678

I was trying to use ImageX to create an image of C: but the destination folder was a network drive. The file would load to the destination properly but would come up with the winload.exe error.

To fix this issue, this is what I did:

I began with creating two diskpart scripts (diskpclean.txt & diskpformat.txt) that is as follows:

[diskpclean.txt]

select disk=0
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format quick
    exit

[diskpformat.txt]
    select disk=0
    select partition 1
    format quick
    exit

To begin the image process, most people have an installation disk. How ever the install is done, the first thing I do is

CMD>diskpart.exe /s [specify location of diskpclean.txt]diskpclean.txt

EXAMPLE:
    X:\windows\system32\diskpart.exe /s Z:\diskpclean.txt

Begin and finish the clean install of Operating system.

When you have your operating system ready for Upload/Capture:

[specify location of imagex.exe]imagex.exe /compress fast /capture c: "c:\[specify file name]" "[specify file name]" /verify

c:\xcopy "[specify same file name]" "[specify EXISTING network location]
    "

EXAMPLE:
    Z:\imagex.exe /compress fast /capture c: "c:\clean vista.wim" "Clean Vista" /verify
    C:\xcopy "clean vista.wim" "Z:\images\"

This will create the image to your C drive and copy it to the existing network location. You can remove it from your C drive in Windows after you reboot.

To apply the image, these are the commands that I wrote:

CMD>diskpart.exe /s [specify location of diskpformat.txt]diskpformat.txt

[specify location of imagex.exe]
    imagex.exe /apply "[specify image network location and file name]" 1 c:

EXAMPLE:
    X:\windows\system32\diskpart.exe /s Z:\diskpformat.txt
    Z:\imagex.exe /apply "z:\images\clean vista.wim" 1 c:

This is working for me, hopefully it helps.
    Cheers
    martes, 17 de abril de 2007 19:00
  • I have the same exact problem,i did everything from runing sysprep useing deferent brand of hd.and useing OS at enduser mode to audit  mode but no luck.

viernes, 31 de agosto de 2007 22:07
  •  

Getting same error, but have a slightly different requirement. Anyone have any thoughts on how to architect this? I am not suggesting what I have done below is correct, just lookign for advice to accomplish the NEED defined.

NEED

1.5 GB drive for boot files and WinRE environment (D-drive)

Remainder of Hard Drive created as C-Drive for Os and data (ultimately to be encrypted with Bitlocker or PGP)

CURRENT APPROACH

My master reference system has been successfully configured via the above by using DISKPART to do the following prior to VISTA Enteprise load:

DISKPREP.BAT

diskpart /s diskprep.txt > diskprep.log

format s: /y /q /fs:NTFS >> diskprep.log (S drive becomes D drive upon boot into Windows) 

format c: /y /q /fs:NTFS >> diskprep.log

DISKPREP.TXT (called by BAT file above)

select disk 0
    clean
    create partition primary size=1500
    assign letter=s
    active
    create partition primary
    assign letter=c
    list volume
    exit

As it appears IMAGEX cannot capture my entire C/D drive as I could have done with GHOST32 in the past, after I have prepped my master system and execute SYSPREP, I used IMAGEX as follows to capture both the C and D drive. (Note: When I have WinPE loaded the C and D drives appear reversed, thus the command lines below.)

imagex.exe /compress fast /capture d: a132_cpart.wim "Alpha1 32 C partition" /verify

imagex.exe /compress fast /capture c: a132_dpart.wim "Alpha1 32 D Partition" /verify

Then on the target PC's I apply the files above as follows (after executing DISKPART.BAt file above on the system.

imagex /apply a132_cpart.wim 1 c:

imagex /apply a132_dpart.wim 1 s:

After loaded and upon reboot, I get this error:

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

I thought perhaps I had captured or loaded the wrong partition to c or d, but I have confirmed that I captured and applied what I had intended to each partition.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

martes, 06 de noviembre de 2007 17:00
  • I have the same exact problem. I have tried all of above commands, work arounds but I get "startup repair can not repair this comouter". I am just going to use ghost or something. ImageX sucks! Keeps giving me the error winload.exe not found after paplying the image. There is nothing on this officially from MS as usual. MS giuys on this forum are also seems to be useless. There work around don't really work.

I have tried the following.

1. Diskpart with clean command so disk id stays the same and only one partition C:

2. Tried bdc repair commands

3. tried Vista repair DVD

4. Syspre my master pc before imaging

viernes, 28 de marzo de 2008 23:50
  • That was a lot to digest. But, I'll keep that info for future ref.
    Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.
    Sid
    viernes, 18 de julio de 2008 23:15
  • I got this from another thread (so I'm not taking credit for it), but thought I should add it to this one too as I came across this thread first:

Once the imagex command is complete, you need to run the following (you can do this before rebooting). I don't know if the C: is required, but it does no harm.

echo Fixing boot files...
    c:
    bcdedit /set {default} device partition=c:
    bcdedit /set {default} osdevice partition=c:
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=c:
    bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=c:
    • Propuesto como respuesta rnavidad miércoles, 25 de marzo de 2009 18:21
    lunes, 22 de septiembre de 2008 9:38
  • P McLaughlin said:

I got this from another thread (so I'm not taking credit for it), but thought I should add it to this one too as I came across this thread first:

Once the imagex command is complete, you need to run the following (you can do this before rebooting). I don't know if the C: is required, but it does no harm.

echo Fixing boot files...
    c:
    bcdedit /set {default} device partition=c:
    bcdedit /set {default} osdevice partition=c:
    bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=c:

This solution worked perfectly.  Thank you P McLaughlin! 

miércoles, 25 de marzo de 2009 18:22
  • This was very helpful and works for me with winload.exe error as well.
    lunes, 01 de junio de 2009 18:28
  • Using the Command Prompt Recovery Console off of the Vista DVD, the command

CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd

always solves the problem for me, but I don't know how to add it into the batch file that executes the image process because it requires the answer "y" to fix the boot. You can add the BootRec.exe and it's en-US folder with BootRec.exe.mui to your Imagex/winRE cd, and you can type this command as soon as the download is finished (you shouldn't have to reboot and repair). I'll post how to copy the files and write them with your imagex/winre disk if anyone needs help.

The bigger problem is still getting down to Why is this boot out of whack in the first place? I don't want this BootRec in the process, I want the image to be uploaded and downloaded clean.

Hopefully someone finds the cause soon.
    Cheers

Thanks for that command. It worked perfectly in my case! I ran diskpart due to increasing the disk space in vmware. After a reboot, I received the error about winload. So I booted to an Win2008 iso, chose to repair and went into the cmd prompt. Ran this command and it worked great.
    jueves, 16 de julio de 2009 13:12
  • Thanks P McLaughlin!  That helped me with my Windows 7 issue.

As an FYI to everybody else, Windows 7 creates 2 partitions - the 100mb hidden partition (seen as C: in WinPE) and the OS partition (seen as D: drive).  Therefore, change the "partition=" bit to point to D: drive.

The bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=d: didn't work for me (like it was an unrecognised command - in WinPE 3.0), but by using the first 3 commands, and pointing it to D: drive - my Win7 image worked just fine.
    http://www.dreamension.net
    jueves, 01 de octubre de 2009 4:55
  • Thanks too.... Help me also in Windows 7 issue with error

0xc000000e

In recovery console I typed this command:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

after that I checked with command:

bcdedit /evnum (or something like that) 

to check where is pointed the bootmgr.

It was wrong, it was set to disk H....

To fix i typed this command:

And all worked very well

sábado, 06 de noviembre de 2010 3:44
  • @baluch99: how do you work with ghost? You sysprep the machine and capture it with your own program? Is that right?
    miércoles, 18 de abril de 2012 11:20