none
OEM vs Volume

Pregunta

• I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions concerning OEM vs Volume licensing and imaging.  If you have a machine that you activate using the OEM license and the computer becomes infected so you use the recovery media how many times are you allowed to active that machine (no hardware changes)? 

Also if the same virus damages a machine with a volume license and that machine is reimaged how many times can you activate it (no hardware changes)?  And each time you activate the volume licensed machine does that could go against your licensed amount.  Say I've purchased 10 Volume License's and activated 5 PC once (5 licenses remaining).  The fifth PC needs to be re-imaged (virus again) will that raise my licensed count to 6?

Thanks,

D

jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012 18:56

Respuestas

• For Volume Licensing,  as per information from http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/product-activation-faq.aspx

There are two different models for completing volume activation

1. Key Management Service (KMS) – KMS allows organizations to activate systems within their own network.
    2. Multiple Activation Key (MAK) - MAK activates systems on a one-time basis, using Microsoft's hosted activation services.

MAK has restrictions based on no of activations based on your Volume License Agreement.

While activating license on your OEM, there isnt a finite no for activation. It more depends on how frequently you attempt activations. If you had a system which you activated 3 months back and you had to reinstall and activate now, it is fine.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Ashok J Prakash

If a post solved your problem, click “Mark as Answer” on the post.
    If a post helped you, click "Vote As Helpful" on the left side of post.

• Editado Ashok JP jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012 19:10
    • Marcado como respuesta d42d01 viernes, 16 de marzo de 2012 16:33
    jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012 19:09
  • "d42d01" wrote in message news:63b9b7ed-a043-4277-a300-830fa10665b2...

I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions concerning OEM vs Volume licensing and imaging.  If you have a machine that you activate using the OEM license and the computer becomes infected so you use the recovery media how many times are you allowed to active that machine (no hardware changes)? 

Also if the same virus damages a machine with a volume license and that machine is reimaged how many times can you activate it (no hardware changes)?  And each time you activate the volume licensed machine does that could go against your licensed amount.  Say I've purchased 10 Volume License's and activated 5 PC once (5 licenses remaining).  The fifth PC needs to be re-imaged (virus again) will that raise my licensed count to 6?

Thanks,

D

If you use the manufacturer’s recovery system for the reinstall, it’s self-activating (and does so on every boot).
    If it’s an OEM System Builder, then in theory, you can reinstall as often as you like, as many times as you like – BUT do it too often, and you will be forced to use telephone activation, and if you do that too often, the Key may be blocked.
    It is better to install the machine and activate it, and then create an image of the installation to which you can revert at need.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    viernes, 16 de marzo de 2012 12:00

Todas las respuestas

• For Volume Licensing,  as per information from http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/product-activation-faq.aspx

There are two different models for completing volume activation

1. Key Management Service (KMS) – KMS allows organizations to activate systems within their own network.
    2. Multiple Activation Key (MAK) - MAK activates systems on a one-time basis, using Microsoft's hosted activation services.

MAK has restrictions based on no of activations based on your Volume License Agreement.

While activating license on your OEM, there isnt a finite no for activation. It more depends on how frequently you attempt activations. If you had a system which you activated 3 months back and you had to reinstall and activate now, it is fine.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Ashok J Prakash

If a post solved your problem, click “Mark as Answer” on the post.
    If a post helped you, click "Vote As Helpful" on the left side of post.

• Editado Ashok JP jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012 19:10
    jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012 19:09
  • "d42d01" wrote in message news:63b9b7ed-a043-4277-a300-830fa10665b2...

I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions concerning OEM vs Volume licensing and imaging.  If you have a machine that you activate using the OEM license and the computer becomes infected so you use the recovery media how many times are you allowed to active that machine (no hardware changes)? 

Thanks,

D

If you use the manufacturer’s recovery system for the reinstall, it’s self-activating (and does so on every boot).
    If it’s an OEM System Builder, then in theory, you can reinstall as often as you like, as many times as you like – BUT do it too often, and you will be forced to use telephone activation, and if you do that too often, the Key may be blocked.
    It is better to install the machine and activate it, and then create an image of the installation to which you can revert at need.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    viernes, 16 de marzo de 2012 12:00
  • Thanks for the replies.  I called MS activation concerning the VOL question so that has been answered.

Thanks again,

D

viernes, 16 de marzo de 2012 16:33