none
xpmode hang or freeze

Pregunta

• I have my system hiebernate every night.  I have xpmode up and running.  But no applications

are running in the xpmode window.  Sometimes when the system wakes up I can't start any

applications.  I need to restart the xpmode window. Does anybody know what may be happening?

RAC

miércoles, 29 de febrero de 2012 16:23

Respuestas

• Virtual PC isn't quite like just another app, it is writing to the disk
    more, handling memory separately from the host, and the host doesn't
    really know any more of what goes on in the guest than the guest knows
    about the host.

It's really just best practice to hibernate or shut down a VM in any
    virtualization product before hibernating or sleeping the host -- most
    of the time it will work, but if you catch it at just the wrong time,
    it results in corruption of the running machine.  Microsoft never
    designed the current version of virtual PC to do that.  Maybe in the
    future they will, but not now.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Marcado como respuesta rac8006 jueves, 01 de marzo de 2012 23:36
    jueves, 01 de marzo de 2012 16:37

Todas las respuestas

• When the host, Windows 7, goes into the hibernate mode, that does not cause the guest, XP Mode, to go into hibernate.  Efectively what you are doing to the XP Mode is the same a pulling the power cord from the wall socket without putting XP Mode in hibernate or turning it off.

You need to either put the XP Mode in hibernate or shutdown the XP Mode before you allow your computer to go in to hibernate each night.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

miércoles, 29 de febrero de 2012 17:40
  • I'm not sure that I agree with your explanation.  If I pull the power cord on a system it will never

restart at the point that I pulled the plug.  My system Works most of the time after it wakes up.

But thanks for the response.

miércoles, 29 de febrero de 2012 23:40
  • No matter how you want to look at the situation, Win 7 going into hibernate does not prepare XP Mode to enter hibenate mode, and since Virtual PC's XP Mode is in reality an application and the effects of having the application suddenly terminated is totally unpredictable.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

jueves, 01 de marzo de 2012 15:48
  • As you said xpmode is an application.  When I cause windows 7 to sleep while other applications are

running.  They don't need to prepare for hiebernation.  They are not suddenly terminated.  When the system

wakes up all of the applications continue to run.  Most of the time xpmode also continues to run.  Its just

some of the times that it seems to hang.

jueves, 01 de marzo de 2012 16:04
  • Virtual PC isn't quite like just another app, it is writing to the disk
    more, handling memory separately from the host, and the host doesn't
    really know any more of what goes on in the guest than the guest knows
    about the host.

It's really just best practice to hibernate or shut down a VM in any
    virtualization product before hibernating or sleeping the host -- most
    of the time it will work, but if you catch it at just the wrong time,
    it results in corruption of the running machine.  Microsoft never
    designed the current version of virtual PC to do that.  Maybe in the
    future they will, but not now.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Marcado como respuesta rac8006 jueves, 01 de marzo de 2012 23:36
    jueves, 01 de marzo de 2012 16:37
  • Thanks for the response.  I think I'm going to try putting the xpmode window to sleep when not using it.

Maybe this will help with the freezeing.  It would be nice if I could write a powershell script to put it the

xpmode window to sleep after a certain time.  I currently shutdown my system every night after the recorded

TV programs have been scanned for commercials.

jueves, 01 de marzo de 2012 23:42