none
Want to format XP Drive in Dual Boot

Pregunta

• I have 2 separate drives one with Vista the other with XP. I want to format the XP Drive but Vista won't let me. Can anyone tell me how to fomat the XP Drive?

miércoles, 29 de octubre de 2008 7:59

Respuestas

• Hi,

You need to boot from a Windows XP or Vista disk and then format the Windows XP drive.

However, please note after formatting the Windows XP drive, Windows Vista will not boot. You may need to perform the following steps to fix this issue:

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Type Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All, and then press ENTER. 

Note: In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

jueves, 30 de octubre de 2008 3:59
  • HI Tim,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My problem is that when I try to format the drive with XP, I get a message that I Can't format drive D. I even tried in safe mode but get the same reply : Can't format drive D.

jueves, 30 de octubre de 2008 7:05
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Please understand that it is normal you cannot format the Windows XP drive after booting into Windows XP or Windows Vista (Safe Mode or Normal Mode).

To format the Windows XP drive, you should boot from a Windows XP or Windows Vista disk. For example, if you boot from a Windows Vista disk, you can format drive D using the following method:

1. Start the computer by using the Windows Vista DVD. To do this, insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive, and then restart the computer.

Note: To start the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.

2. When the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" appears, please press a key.

3. When the Installation window appears, click "Install Now".

4. Do not enter the product key and click Next directly.

5. Choose the edition of the Windows Vista you would like to install and check the box before "I have selected the edition of Windows that I purchased" and click Next.

6. Check "I accept the license terms" and click Next.

7. Click "Custom (advanced)", click "Drive options (advanced)". Highlight drive D and click Format. Click OK to format the partition.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

viernes, 31 de octubre de 2008 10:59
  • Thank you. I finally undstand.

viernes, 31 de octubre de 2008 11:10

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

You need to boot from a Windows XP or Vista disk and then format the Windows XP drive.

However, please note after formatting the Windows XP drive, Windows Vista will not boot. You may need to perform the following steps to fix this issue:

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Type Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All, and then press ENTER. 

Note: In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

jueves, 30 de octubre de 2008 3:59
  • HI Tim,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My problem is that when I try to format the drive with XP, I get a message that I Can't format drive D. I even tried in safe mode but get the same reply : Can't format drive D.

jueves, 30 de octubre de 2008 7:05
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Please understand that it is normal you cannot format the Windows XP drive after booting into Windows XP or Windows Vista (Safe Mode or Normal Mode).

To format the Windows XP drive, you should boot from a Windows XP or Windows Vista disk. For example, if you boot from a Windows Vista disk, you can format drive D using the following method:

1. Start the computer by using the Windows Vista DVD. To do this, insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive, and then restart the computer.

Note: To start the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.

2. When the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" appears, please press a key.

3. When the Installation window appears, click "Install Now".

4. Do not enter the product key and click Next directly.

5. Choose the edition of the Windows Vista you would like to install and check the box before "I have selected the edition of Windows that I purchased" and click Next.

6. Check "I accept the license terms" and click Next.

7. Click "Custom (advanced)", click "Drive options (advanced)". Highlight drive D and click Format. Click OK to format the partition.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

viernes, 31 de octubre de 2008 10:59
  • Thank you. I finally undstand.

viernes, 31 de octubre de 2008 11:10
  • hey i have a big problem. i wanted to format the xp drive with vista as a dual boot. i had followed ur instruction as follows: i insert the vista dvd in the dvd drive and restart it and format the xp drive which was denoted by the primary disk drive and not the d or e or f drive. i was bit confused. then i saw the free disk space of the xp folder by quiting the setup and log on to vista. then i found that the first primary drive was indicating in the xp drive so i format the ist primary drive. when all the formatting is done my dual boot option was gone and i started with vista. after that i check all the drives in my computer and saw that the c drive was empty except vista features component. my d and e drive were fine and when i open the f drive i saw all the files of my vista. this is so crazy. i needed the dual boot option with xp. it only start with vista. please help.
    miércoles, 09 de septiembre de 2009 14:24