none
Windows Media Center, Extenders and XBOX360.

    Pregunta

  • Hai!

    I know this a frequently asked question to discuss but I've read most of all the post made here but nothing has worked.

    I have an XBOX360 slim 250gb that I want to connect to my PC (running Win7 Enterprise) using Windows Media Center so I can stream music, pictures and movies from upstairs to downstairs, nothing wrong with that right?

    I am using a wired network 'cause of the simple fact that I hate wireless, nuf' said.

    Turn on my XBOX360, go to Media Center to get the 8-digit code, I write down the code, press A for next so it waits until something connects to it. And yes it has internet connection, signed in to windows live, downloaded a few trailers and such so I know it works.

    I go to my computer where Media Center is up and running and is waiting for the 8-digit code. Punch in the code and wait. After roughly 30 seconds I get this error:

    Cannot Set Up Extender

    Setup failed because your Extender is unable to communicate with this computer. This issue might be caused by a configuration problem with your network or firewall.

    Do you want to view step-by-step instructions in a web browser to help resolve this issue?

    Done everything suggested there still have the same problem.

    I have no firewall active, not antivirus, no nothing. All I have is my cable to my fiber-optic modem (which has 8 ports, 3 for telephones, 4 for PC/Games/Consoles and 1 for I don't know, it just says 8 above it) and a cable going from the same fiber-optic modem to my XBOX360.

    Why doesn't it work? -.- Is it so gay that I must have a router or switch?

    To anyone how manages to solve this problem I'll give you a year Gold Membership xbox-live crap thingy, unless it's so gay that I have to use a router or switch.

    Thank you for taking your time reading.

    domingo, 17 de febrero de 2013 12:22

Respuestas

  • that would be the problem. unless your provider can change your fiber modem from
    the mode it is in to router mode, you would need to add a standalone router to
    your network, connect that to the port the PC is connected to and then connect
    your computers and xbox to the router ports.
     
    On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 21:39:06 +0000, Poffan wrote:
     
    >
    >
    >I'd like to make a change to one of my previous statements:
    >
    >It's not getting a private IP, it's getting a public one. Realized this after seeing my gateway-IP.
    >
    >
    >
    >My PC is getting: 83.233.134.60  Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 84.233.134.1
    >
    >
    >My XBOX is getting: 83.233.184.242 Mask: 255.255.255.128 Gateway: 83.233.184.129
    >
    >
    >And in here lies the problem I reckon.
    >
    >
     

    Barb Bowman

    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

    jueves, 21 de febrero de 2013 11:15

Todas las respuestas

  • Hi,

    The proper forum to solve your issue should be Microsoft Xbox support forum. I would like suggest you redirect the issue to that forum for further help.

    http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/default.aspx

    Regards.


    Spencer
    TechNet Community Support

    lunes, 18 de febrero de 2013 2:33
  • does the Xbox get a public IP or a private IP? I am guessing private, but just
    want to verify. What is the model number of the fiber optic modem?
     
    see
     
    Can you open event viewer and copy and paste the error message from there into a
    reply here?
     
    On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 12:22:30 +0000, Poffan wrote:
     
    >
    >
    >Hai!
    >
    >
    >
    >I know this a frequently asked question to discuss but I've read most of all the post made here but nothing has worked.
    >
    >I have an XBOX360 slim 250gb that I want to connect to my PC (running Win7 Enterprise) using Windows Media Center so I can stream music, pictures and movies from upstairs to downstairs, nothing wrong with that right?
    >
    >I am using a wired network 'cause of the simple fact that I hate wireless, nuf' said.
    >
    >Turn on my XBOX360, go to Media Center to get the 8-digit code, I write down the code, press A for next so it waits until something connects to it. And yes it has internet connection, signed in to windows live, downloaded a few trailers and such so I know it works.
    >
    >I go to my computer where Media Center is up and running and is waiting for the 8-digit code. Punch in the code and wait. After roughly 30 seconds I get this error:
    >
    >Cannot Set Up Extender
    >
    >Setup failed because your Extender is unable to communicate with this computer. This issue might be caused by a configuration problem with your network or firewall.
    >
    >Do you want to view step-by-step instructions in a web browser to help resolve this issue?
    >
    >Done everything suggested there still have the same problem.
    >
    >I have no firewall active, not antivirus, no nothing. All I have is my cable to my fiber-optic modem (which has 8 ports, 3 for telephones, 4 for PC/Games/Consoles and 1 for I don't know, it just says 8 above it) and a cable going from the same fiber-optic modem to my XBOX360.
    >
    >Why doesn't it work? -.- Is it so gay that I must have a router or switch?
    >
    >To anyone how manages to solve this problem I'll give you a year Gold Membership xbox-live crap thingy, unless it's so gay that I have to use a router or switch.
    >
    >
    >
    >Thank you for taking your time reading.
     

    Barb Bowman

    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

    lunes, 18 de febrero de 2013 12:07
  • Hi!

    The XBOX is given a private ip. I do not know the model number of the fiber modem, all I know is it's a PacketFront.

    Media Center Extender Setup failed as the Extender was detected on the network but the UPnP search for the Extender failed (timed out after 20000ms).

    - System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Media Center Extender
    [ Guid] {7B7838A3-6562-4269-BB7A-97B0D9593882}
    EventID 538
    Version 0
    Level 2
    Task 4
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x8000000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2013-02-17T11:52:16.971986000Z
    EventRecordID 87
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 5340
    [ ThreadID] 6688
    Channel Media Center
    Computer Poffan
    - Security
    [ UserID] S-1-5-21-3706879215-4241447526-2865568919-1000
    - EventData
    Timeout 20000

    lunes, 18 de febrero de 2013 15:18
  • Make sure your router is not blocking UPnP
    Make sure ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is not bound to the network adapter
    (shut down the service if needed).
     
    On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:18:40 +0000, Poffan wrote:
     
    >
    >
    >Hi!
    >
    >The XBOX is given a private ip. I do not know the model number of the fiber modem, all I know is it's a PacketFront.
    >
    >Media Center Extender Setup failed as the Extender was detected on the network but the UPnP search for the Extender failed (timed out after 20000ms). - System
    >- Provider
    >[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Media Center Extender
    >[ Guid] {7B7838A3-6562-4269-BB7A-97B0D9593882}
    >EventID 538
     

    Barb Bowman

    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

    martes, 19 de febrero de 2013 12:03
  • Hi!

    I don't have a router, and if you do say that modem has a built-in router how do I access it? Tried all common IPs to get access to it with no luck. So I can't make sure UPnP is being allowed or blocked.

    ICS is disabled.


    • Editado Poffan miércoles, 20 de febrero de 2013 12:29
    miércoles, 20 de febrero de 2013 11:50
  • Unfortunately, I don't know and cannot find anything on line about operator/user
    guides for the PacketFront devices. You will need to call your provider and
    speak with them.
     
    (If you are getting private IPs, then your fiber modem has a built in router.
    Can you verify the IP addresses your computer and Xbox are receiving? )
     
    On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 11:50:44 +0000, Poffan wrote:
     
    >
    >
    >Hi!
    >
    >I don't have a router, and if you do say that modem has a built-in router how do I access it? Tried all common IPs to get access to it with no luck. So I can't make sure UPnP is being allowed or blocked.
    >
    >ICS is disabled.
     

    Barb Bowman

    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

    miércoles, 20 de febrero de 2013 20:37
  • I'd like to make a change to one of my previous statements:

    It's not getting a private IP, it's getting a public one. Realized this after seeing my gateway-IP.

    My PC is getting: 83.233.134.60  Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 84.233.134.1

    My XBOX is getting: 83.233.184.242 Mask: 255.255.255.128 Gateway: 83.233.184.129

    And in here lies the problem I reckon.



    • Editado Poffan miércoles, 20 de febrero de 2013 22:53
    miércoles, 20 de febrero de 2013 21:39
  • that would be the problem. unless your provider can change your fiber modem from
    the mode it is in to router mode, you would need to add a standalone router to
    your network, connect that to the port the PC is connected to and then connect
    your computers and xbox to the router ports.
     
    On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 21:39:06 +0000, Poffan wrote:
     
    >
    >
    >I'd like to make a change to one of my previous statements:
    >
    >It's not getting a private IP, it's getting a public one. Realized this after seeing my gateway-IP.
    >
    >
    >
    >My PC is getting: 83.233.134.60  Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 84.233.134.1
    >
    >
    >My XBOX is getting: 83.233.184.242 Mask: 255.255.255.128 Gateway: 83.233.184.129
    >
    >
    >And in here lies the problem I reckon.
    >
    >
     

    Barb Bowman

    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

    jueves, 21 de febrero de 2013 11:15