none
Install Failure: Windows cannot be installed to disk 0 partition 1.

Pregunta

• I have problem with installation Win7 x64. Installation stops on disk selection with mesage: "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information". I tried ICH9 controler in mode AHCI and RAID. Loading intel drivers (Ver:8.7.0.1007 and 7.5.0.1017) gives me masage "Windows cannot be installed to disk 0 partition 1." Details: "Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300001". I can see drives, make new partition and format it.
    Spec:
    CPU: Intel Q6600
    RAM: 4GB
    MB: MSI Neo2 FIR (intel P35 and ICH9R)
    HDD: 2x 640GB SATA (empty)
    miércoles, 29 de abril de 2009 8:30

Respuestas

• SOLVED but i don't know how...
    - I have done everything like Knickle said (but it doesn't help )
    - making new partition after loading drivers and then refresh again (but it doesn't help )
    - restart computer
    - start instalation again on partitions made in point 2
    and it works (without loading drivers ) ... i don't understand why...
    Now my new W7 RC work like charm :)
    • Marcado como respuesta Nick FV lunes, 08 de junio de 2009 22:17
    sábado, 09 de mayo de 2009 17:33

Todas las respuestas

• Hi Outlander,

Please refer to this link here.

Let us know if it helps.

Jabez Gan [MVP] - http://www.msblog.org Contributing Author for: (Sybex) MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-643
    miércoles, 29 de abril de 2009 12:19
    Usuario que responde
  • Refering to the link:
    1. Insert the install DVD (ok )
    2. Boot into the setup process (ok )
    3. Get to the point where you need to select a partition (Error: "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information" ) and click Load Driver
    4. Insert driver DVD (i have USB )
    5. Locate the storage driver, in my case the AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller (ok - Intel ICH9R AHCI )
    6. Notice the message "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. (Show details)" at the bottom (ok )
    7. Insert the install DVD back into the drive (still in the drive )
    8. Expand the advanced drive options (ok )
    9. Create a New partition consuming some amount of space, in my case all of it (ok )
    10. Windows says it had to do some funky stuff, click OK (didn't show )
    11. Notice that there is a 200MB system partition and a new primary partition (only one partition )
    12. Select the new primary partition and click Next (still error: 0x80300001 )
    Partitions made by installer are correct, formated and can be used under XP x64.
    miércoles, 29 de abril de 2009 15:51
  • Hi Outlander,

Is it possible for you to get the setupact.log file and post the last few lines here?

Jabez Gan [MVP] - http://www.msblog.org Contributing Author for: (Sybex) MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-643
    miércoles, 29 de abril de 2009 16:53
    Usuario que responde
  • But where is it? Both partitions are empty and there is no such file on usb drives.
    miércoles, 29 de abril de 2009 17:07
  • Press Shift+F10 to pull up the command line window. From there, please see if you can locate the log files. Should be under:

X:\Windows\Panther

miércoles, 29 de abril de 2009 17:45
    Usuario que responde
  • Log file has 1800 lines so i copy only part o it.
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info                  IBS    IsDeviceSupported:Device [Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller] is supported
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS DumpDeviceIDs: H/w ID [ACPI\PNP0A08]
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS DumpDeviceIDs: H/w ID [*PNP0A08]
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS DumpDeviceIDs: Compat ID [*PNP0A03]
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS IsDeviceIDPresent:Found device ID [*PNP0A03] in hwcompat list
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS DumpDeviceIDs: H/w ID [ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08]
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS DumpDeviceIDs: H/w ID [*PNP0C08]
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS IsDeviceIDPresent:Found device ID [*PNP0C08] in hwcompat list
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS DumpDeviceIDs: H/w ID [acpiapic]
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS DumpDeviceIDs: Compat ID [DETECTEDInternal\ACPI_HAL]
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS DumpDeviceIDs: Compat ID [DETECTED\ACPI_HAL]
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS IsDeviceIDPresent:Found device ID [acpiapic] in hwcompat list
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS DetermineDeviceSupport:Disk 1 has the necessary driver support
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info PublishDiskInfoOnBlackboard: Successfully serialized disk info.
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS Callback_ValidateInstallDrive:====== Does disk [0] offset [0x100000] meet installation reqs? ======
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Error [0x06066f] IBS CollectInformationForImage: Could not find image file [E:\Sources\install.wim] specified for 'ImageInfo\OSImage'.[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Error [0x060673] IBS DiskSpaceReqs: Failed to cached XML info; hr = 0x80070002[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Error [0x060485] IBS Callback_ValidateInstallDrive:Couldn't calculate needed space for Windows; hr = 0x80070002[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS Callback_ValidateInstallDrive:Summary - CCP check passed; FAILED to calculate space reqs; able to find install location; location type meets installation reqs; size of location is not too small; location free space is enough; location free space does NOT meet the recommendation
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info IBS Callback_ValidateInstallDrive:-----------------------------------------------------------
    2009-04-29 19:54:06, Info [0x0a0035] UI Allowing Page 'Install Type' to be shown
    I made a test on second computer, almost identical but with ICH9R working in IDE emulation mode and it is working.
    miércoles, 29 de abril de 2009 18:07
  • I had a similar issue with RAID setup on my PC with an M4A79 DELUXE motherboard.  It took me a few hours and I finally got it working with a big "DOH".  I don't know how I missed it in the Beta, but the problem exists there too.  Here's how I got around it.

- Start Windows setup
    - When you get to the page to select a drive/partition to install you will need to load the Raid drivers
    - Insert your Driver disc for your motherboard
    - Click Load Driver
    - Find the correct driver on the disc and select this
    - Click Next
    - You should now see a list of available drives, but the error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk (Show details)"
    - Re-insert the Windows 7 DVD back into the drive
    - The is the critical part......   Click Refresh

After clicking Refresh, the error should be gone and you should now be able to install on one of your partitions.  At least that's how I got it working.  It took me about two dozen attempts to figure this out.

I would submit this as a bug but I'm not quite sure how to do that at the moment.
    • Propuesto como respuesta Troubled31707 lunes, 28 de septiembre de 2009 18:04
    miércoles, 06 de mayo de 2009 12:32
    - making new partition after loading drivers and then refresh again (but it doesn't help )
    - restart computer
    • Marcado como respuesta Nick FV lunes, 08 de junio de 2009 22:17
    sábado, 09 de mayo de 2009 17:33
  • I had this same problem when I put my drivers CD into the drive and loaded the drivers.  Once I partitioned the drives I received this error message.  All you have to do is stick the Windows disk back into the CD-ROM drive.  LOL... the simplest things, right? 
    • Propuesto como respuesta BetterToday viernes, 29 de octubre de 2010 9:21
    lunes, 10 de agosto de 2009 15:34
  • I had a similar issue with RAID setup on my PC with an M4A79 DELUXE motherboard.  It took me a few hours and I finally got it working with a big "DOH".  I don't know how I missed it in the Beta, but the problem exists there too.  Here's how I got around it.

- Start Windows setup
    - When you get to the page to select a drive/partition to install you will need to load the Raid drivers
    - Click Load Driver
    - Click Next
    - You should now see a list of available drives, but the error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk (Show details)"

After clicking Refresh, the error should be gone and you should now be able to install on one of your partitions.  At least that's how I got it working.  It took me about two dozen attempts to figure this out.

I would submit this as a bug but I'm not quite sure how to do that at the moment.
    DUDE YOU ARE THE MAN !!

your answer was SOOOOOOO ON , worked like a charm !   Thank you !

PS:  This guys answer should be linked to the error in the search !

• Editado hardist1 miércoles, 19 de agosto de 2009 3:39 PSed a suggestion.
    • Propuesto como respuesta longlostbro domingo, 20 de septiembre de 2009 18:28
    miércoles, 19 de agosto de 2009 3:27
  • I just thought I would add my two cents to this thread.  I had the same problem as everyone else where the installer refused to install on the disk I wanted it to without explaining why.  However, I am not configuring a RAID so I couldn't figure out what the problem was.  The first time I booted, I formatted the drive as NTFS.  Since it didn't work, I rebooted, thinking it might work if the installer started with a properly formatted drive.  No such luck.  So I tried installing drivers anyway.  Still no dice.  Thanks to the advice given in this thread, I was able to open up setupact.log and scroll through hundreds of lines of text, finally finding lines similar to the following (sorry I don't remember the actual lines):

Checking to see if disk[3] is appropriate for installation .. failed
    Looking to see reason for error:
      Disk is not a boot disk.

Great.  So it turns out my bios has inadvertently reordered my drives without me knowing it.  Windows wouldn't install because I couldn't boot to that drive (I'm fine with that).  However, I fail to see why it couldn't alert me of the ACTUAL problem when it obviously knew what the problem was instead of making me hunt through log files.  Anyway, hopefully a "no-brainer" comment like this might save someone else an hour and searching through a log file on a screen with poor resolution.
    • Propuesto como respuesta longlostbro domingo, 20 de septiembre de 2009 18:27
    lunes, 14 de septiembre de 2009 1:58
  • I had the same problem but the solution to mine was actually unplugging any other sata drives such as my cd drive. I used an ata cdrom drive and made sure I only had the one sata drive plugged in and all went well. Hope this helps good luck!
    • Propuesto como respuesta Mert K lunes, 19 de octubre de 2009 2:02
    domingo, 20 de septiembre de 2009 18:30
  • I had the same problem but the solution to mine was actually unplugging any other sata drives such as my cd drive. I used an ata cdrom drive and made sure I only had the one sata drive plugged in and all went well. Hope this helps good luck!

That is exactly it mate. I have been trying here with my Adaptec SCSI controller for last 4 hours for my SCSI system drive. I had the same problem with Vista back in the day. I don't know why Microsoft don't patch this stupid issue. Install the damn OS and let me choose the drive after if it is not right boot drive in my case, it was but still complained about it. It is so frustrating. I had to unplug all my SATA drives, including my SATA dvd-roms, then found my old dusty IDE DVD-ROM drive, shoved it in there, unplugged all USB storage devices and finally it worked. Now it is installing. After first restart, I have plugged everything back in and it works just fine. Those refresh et.c steps are futile, just unplug everythign SATA if you have a SCSI drive or more than one SATA drives on multiple SATA controllers.

I thought it was only my sata HDD at the beginning but it turns out it hated the SATA DVD drives also. Frustration, frustration...

Thanks Mate!
    • Propuesto como respuesta Mert K lunes, 19 de octubre de 2009 2:15
    lunes, 19 de octubre de 2009 2:15
  • well I thinkthat is the way to go and mine is installing right now. Problem is, after getting it to accept the RAID installation, I wasn't able to format the disks, it went straight into install. Anyone able to getaround that.
    I think I'll pull the HDDs out and format them on this computer and start all over.
    Well done M/s...it's about time you got this right...how hard can it be???????
    Aussie Greg
    martes, 10 de noviembre de 2009 13:22
  • I had a similar problem, here are the steps I took to solve it.

1) At Windows 7 start screen (after language selection) hit SHIFT-F10 to get command prompt.

2) Run the following commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0    (your disk may be a different number)
    clean
    create partition primary
    exit    (exits diskpart)
    exit    (exits command prompt)

3) Run setup. Setup says cannot install to the drive.

4) Reboot computer.

5) Run setup as normal and everything works.  Windows 7 setup creates and formats the partition automatically.

I'm guessing it wouldn't work because my BIOS assigned the DVD drive as C:.  Seems like a pretty simple thing that Microsoft could have fixed.  Don't know why we expect them to do that though.  This is why I use a Mac for all of my important stuff and Windows for entertainment only.
    • Propuesto como respuesta Gulla58 viernes, 26 de noviembre de 2010 13:25
    domingo, 31 de enero de 2010 20:08
  • Exact same problem you guys had - I think I found another fix though.

In BIOS (ASUS P6T) there is a field under Boot Configuration that lets you choose your disk boot order.  After you stripe them in raid you need to make sure this is the first boot device.

Once I did this and restarted Win7 install, I chose the Load Driver option and pulled the driver off the Mobo CD, clicked next (no need to refresh) and it launched "Installing Windows".

Might be specific to this bios (AMI, not sure version) - but another possible work-around for anyone who doesn't have luck with any of the above.
    • Propuesto como respuesta Selous viernes, 13 de enero de 2012 0:25
    lunes, 08 de febrero de 2010 1:14
  • I had a similar issue while installing Win7 x84 onto an ECS GeForce 7050M-M (v2.0) w/ a SATA and IDE drive; I was upgrading from the RC version.  The setup error file showed the "Couldn't find boot disk on this BIOS-based computer" error.   The SATA drive already had a few partitions while the IDE version only had one.  The drive selection screen showed only disks/partitions from the hard disks.  Loading the drivers from the mobo's CD didn't help nor did disabling the IDE drive nor deleting all of the SATA drive's partitions, the error message would never go away.

Eventually when I fired up Diskpart and viewed the disks I saw four disks from my on-board memory card reader...  well sure enough unplugging the reader let the installer do its thing.

What a terrible installation error.  Had the disk screen shown the card reader drives I would have removed it first instead of messing around with repartitioning the drive!  Very frustrating, and I'm disappointed that we're still dealing w/ ____ like this in 2010.
    • Editado David Peters lunes, 22 de febrero de 2010 4:18 grammar
    lunes, 22 de febrero de 2010 4:17

Sometimes the simplest answers are the best answers... I spent hours dinking around with SATA drivers and the rest of the suggestions in this thread; I even went so far as to try creating a usable boot partition directly with DISKPART from within the installation routine.  Adding to my confusion was the fact that I was installing from a USB flash memory stick.

Howsomever, everything worked splendidly once I unplugged my second SATA HDD and my SATA DVD from the MOBO.  Thank you for pointing this out... it should have been obvious to me, but after hours and hours spent trying to slay this dragon my concentration and intuition were at all-time lows!

Like C.O.R., I wonder why in #&(^ MS hasn't taken care of this issue!

sábado, 01 de mayo de 2010 6:42
  •  

Ok here's what I did:

1. I took both notebook hard drives out of my HP Notebook and attached them in turn via a special USB cable to my spare computer.

2. I formatted both notebook hard drives in turn using my spare computer. 

3. I then replaced the notebook hard drives back into the HP notebook.

4. I detached any external drives or USB drives from the notebook - this confuses Win 7 setup.

5. I ran Win 7 setup normally booting from DVD.

6. Error message 'Cannot install to Disk 0 Partition 1' disappeared.

7. Win7 installs ok.

Keep it simple - you'll be fine.

domingo, 20 de junio de 2010 23:16
  • Hi there I have tryed the same with my laptop, got the request could not be performd because of an I/O device error, any ideas ?

the partition primary that is.
    domingo, 01 de agosto de 2010 16:25
  • hi, sorry for my bad english, but how can i do a partition in point 2? i've exactly the same problem but i have a DELL LATITUDE D610, can you help me please? thank you:)
    viernes, 06 de agosto de 2010 17:16
  • Ahhhh, fun with RAID. Had the same problem - Win7 setup identified the array after driver installation (from USB stick), allowed partitioning and formatting, but when attempting to proceed with Win7 installation, the same error message appeared: unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition.

None of the methods suggested here worked, but they did point me in the right direction (thanks :-)

Solution: don't have the USB stick inserted at boot; wait 'til it's time to install the RAID driver before inserting it, and remove it once setup has pulled the driver off the stick. The USB stick still showed up as C:\ when browsing for drivers, and the RAID array still showed up as Disk 1... but on clicking next, Win7 installation proceeded as it should.

Hope this helps someone.

• Propuesto como respuesta techman1972 viernes, 13 de agosto de 2010 21:17
    viernes, 13 de agosto de 2010 21:16
  • "Windows cannot be installed to disk 0 partition 1" ?

Yes, that's what I met.

Someone's suggestion was, at this point of installing, insert driver cd.
    So I found out my driver cd, put it aside. Then re-install the windows 7 64bit, waiting to see the error message.
    But !!  This time, at this step, I can install windows 7 to disk 0 partition1 ~~~~
    The "Next" button is clickable.
    I did not use my driver cd!!

What I did is just restart the computer, and re-install.
    So funny.

Mainboard: XPC SN68SG2
    HD: Hitachi 2TB (sata)

martes, 24 de agosto de 2010 14:21
  • A thousand Thank Yous!  I've been at this for at least a day!  This is the answer!  You are indeed the Man!
    sábado, 11 de septiembre de 2010 21:17
  • Don't get me started, this is a joke and I can't believe this rigmarole is prevalent in what is almost 2011.

I've been involved with building pcs since the days when DOS 5.0 was a big deal and if you upgraded your graphic card from 1mb to 2mb you were a big player.

But since the days that XP decided that you had to hit F6 to load SATA drivers from a hard-coded floppy drive designated as a: (I don't have a floppy drive, what now?), everything's gone downhill.

Vista had it's memorable "Windows cannot find a system volume that meets requirements for installation"........um, give me a clue as to do next?

So I assumed by the time we got around to Win 7, everything would be hunky-dory.  <cue Family Fortunes "er-errr" sound>

I've bought a Dell Studio XPS 7100 with AMD architecture and 2 x 1TB Seagate drives in RAID0 mode.  I fire it up and, sure enough, Dell have loaded it with crapware......I mean, McAfee FFS?  It was causing my screen to go black every 20 seconds.

So I reboot, delete the RAID array, enter the BIOS and chase the boot mode from RAID to AHCI.  I also remove the SATA cable from drive 1 (drive 0 is intact and everything in the BIOS is spot on).

Reboot again with the Win 7 DVD and there is nothing I can do to get Win 7 to see the single hard drive that exists; loading AHCI drivers from a memory stick, nothing.

Retry it all with the BIOS boot mode set to RAID.......again, diddly squat.

So, I connect both drives, recreate the RAID array, boot from the DVD and, at last, Windows decides it will install.

What the f**k is going on?  How simple can it be to get a system with two independent hard drives up and running under Win 7?  I'm genuinely curious because if someone can talk me through step-by-step how to get Win 7 to install to one hard drive whilst leaving the other one alone for data, I'm all ears.

Thank you for reading.

domingo, 03 de octubre de 2010 16:47
  • I suggest Microsoft changes the error message to something meaningful...

viernes, 29 de octubre de 2010 9:26
  • I suggest Microsoft changes the error message to something meaningful...

Or design an install routine that works FFS?

Thank Christ the 10.10 Ubuntu release is the start of the end for MS.

sábado, 20 de noviembre de 2010 16:54
  • Thank you so much!!! You've saved my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

viernes, 26 de noviembre de 2010 13:16
  • I had the same issue as this but once I click Next after Refresh it takes a few minutes to create the partitions and then I get "Windows could not format a parition on disk 0.  The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation.  Error code: 0x80070057."  Would someone be able to help me?  I have done this over and over again.  The reason I know it creates the partitions as I am using Marvell RAID 0 is I picked Drive Options and then created partition but the format failed everytime.  These are new drives so I don't think that is issue.

Any thoughts?

• Propuesto como respuesta dwhegler domingo, 19 de diciembre de 2010 18:33
    domingo, 19 de diciembre de 2010 14:48
  • I cannot get rid of this error. My system does not see the raid drive until I put the usb stick with the driver in and load the driver. Then I get this stupid error for “Windows cannot install to Disk 1…” details show this error code. I have tried opening and closing the disk tray at different phases, clicked on refresh, pulled the usb stick, made the raid array the first disk priority, created a new partition, formatted the partition… can’t get rid of it.

The strange thing is that I have successfully installed to this system before. Same mobo, drives, driver, usb stick. The only thing different is I transplanted the guts to a new box. Now I can’t install.

Anyone have any ideas?

Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3r/ud3 mobo

Trying to put os on the gigabyte sata2 controller

lunes, 20 de diciembre de 2010 19:53
  • How many disks do you have built in to your machine? Are you using SATA?
    Vote here for a new Microsoft Connect feedback channel on Windows 7!
    sábado, 01 de enero de 2011 21:03
  • SOLVED sort of... I have six disks total but two on the troublesome controller. I found that the problem was that the driver was allowing windows to see the raid drive but at the same time was making windows lose the two dvd drives. So the error was that windows couldn't find the install media due to the drives disappearing. I only discovered this by clicking browse again for drivers after already installing one and then noticing the dvd drives weren't shown anymore. So I hooked up an external dvd usb drive and put the install disk there. No problems. After windows was up, I went into the device manager and noticed there were two identical drives shown for that controller and one had the "!" icon. So I uninstalled it and my drives came back.

In the end, I'm not sure if this is a bad driver from gigabyte or an actual windows problem. It certainly chewed up a lot of my time though. Hopefully my workaround helps someone out there...

• Propuesto como respuesta Ozgehan lunes, 14 de febrero de 2011 10:31
    lunes, 03 de enero de 2011 3:40
  • IDE PATA Windows 7 Install Fixed for "windows cannot be installed to disk 0 partition 1" error

============================================================

I've been looking at forums and trying things for hours...and I finally have Windows 7 Installing on a PATA IDE drive!!!

Most of the information out there is on getting SATA or RAID working.  The information did ultimately help. Most of the fixes have been to removed drives from SATA connections. In my case, I actually had to put a slave drive on my primary cable.

I originally had Windows XP on a drive the died. It was the primary Master and there was no Primary Slave. I have a DVD-RW and a CD-RW as the secondary master and slave (second cable). I also have a floppy drive.

I have a "bone yard" of parts. i found a 40 GB drive to replace the 80 GB drive that died. (Don't need too much space since this is my mother-in-laws computer and she just uses it for email.

I had just did a different old PC that only had PATA earlier in the day and it went very easy. For it I did the following:

1. Removed the dead drive and Installed the "new" drive

2. Booted from Windows Install DVD

3. Formatted drive under the Advance section

4. Still had the error, so rebooted. Noticed that bios flashed something about finding a new drive and automatically adding it.

5. started Windows Install DVD again and everything worked just fine.

For the Second PC, no such luck.

I tried every thing I could think of. went in and out of bios. formatted drive. tried the DiskPart trick shown above, reordered the drives. At one point I replaced the drive with another. (again only having one drive on the primary cable.) and then formatted that drive...then it wouldn't show up at all in Windows 7 Installer, but still showed up in the BIOS.

I was about to remove the CD and Floppy...and put the used HDD on the same cable as the DVD drive, but kept trying things because the HDD section is easily available in my PC, but the DVD/CD section requires pulling out the power supply and is like major surgery. (DUMB design!!!) I had a second IDE drive. So I put that on as the Primary Slave and redid the pins for master/slave.  

Now I have the original used drive I stared with as Primary Master, the second used drive as Primary Slave, The DVD-RW as Secondary Master, and CD-RW as Secondary Slave. Floppy still in also.

I boot with the Windows install DVD...and it magically shows both drives. (Yes, i quaduple checked the master/slave settings for each configuration I tried. YES, i know that the WD drive has a jumper setting for Master and a different one for Master with Slave ;-)  This time no "windows cannot be installed to disk 0 partition 1" error and the install is gong on now as I type this.  SCORE!

What is the real fix?  Is there any real pattern to this?  I'm not sure, but there is constant responses to the fact that the installer is confused at times with or without multiple drives.  Since the install can see the drive (except for the one scenario for me), you would think that you could just tell it "YES, That one!" and they could go do it.

• Propuesto como respuesta HackerJunk jueves, 13 de enero de 2011 3:09
    jueves, 13 de enero de 2011 3:08
  • Strange but... I have Hp DV9000 lapto with intel cpu. I got the same error while loading the Win 7 x64. There are two harddisks installed but you can not select which one to boot from, in the bios. I just changed the boot order of the items from ATAPI CD to Notebook HDD then it works.

fyi...

lunes, 14 de febrero de 2011 10:33
  • man you are my hero!! thanks a mill!! don't know what the rest of the folk are chasing their tails about!! cheers from ireland!!!!!
    miércoles, 16 de febrero de 2011 20:13
  • Thank you so much!!!! I'd almost given up when I came across your solution which worked for me! Praise be!
    lunes, 21 de febrero de 2011 17:53
  • Just thought I would share my experiences with this issue also when installing Windows Server 2008 R2.

I needed to load the drivers for the RAID card at the appropriate screen and to do so I had to remove the USB DVDROM from the server to get the USB key into the neighbouring USB port.

After about 15 mins of troubleshooting and finding this thread I fould that if the USB key with the drivers AND the USB DVDROM were not connected or available to the installer AT THE SAME TIME everything came unstuck.

What I did to resolve the error after I encountered it is make sure I had both the USB key and USB DVDROM inserted and clicked the back button a few steps and we able to restart the install (without needing to reboot) and pointed to the USB key when I needed to provide the drivers. The next attempt at choosing the partition to install to the error was gone. :)

It appears the installer isnt very tollerant of the install disc going missing to load drivers. Hitting refresh after loading the drivers didnt work for me. I think because I was using a USB DVDROM which was disconnected on my first attempt to insert the USB key.

Hope this was helpful to others. :)

miércoles, 23 de marzo de 2011 2:39

1) At Windows 7 start screen (after language selection) hit SHIFT-F10 to get command prompt.

diskpart
    list disk
    clean
    create partition primary
    exit    (exits diskpart)

4) Reboot computer.

5) Run setup as normal and everything works.  Windows 7 setup creates and formats the partition automatically.

I'm guessing it wouldn't work because my BIOS assigned the DVD drive as C:.  Seems like a pretty simple thing that Microsoft could have fixed.  Don't know why we expect them to do that though.  This is why I use a Mac for all of my important stuff and Windows for entertainment only.

YOUR THE MANNNNN BROO!!!!!

IT WORKED!!!  :)))

THANKS A LOT!!

• Propuesto como respuesta Afzal.gujrat lunes, 16 de abril de 2012 19:55
    jueves, 21 de abril de 2011 21:25
  • I had the same issue with a brand new system.

I have a total of 6 SATA hard drives configured with RAID.

According to the Gigabyte manual, there is no need to load the device drivers as Windows 7 already has them for the P67 motherboard I am using.

The SATA DVD I am using is connected to another SATA controller and I got the error stating that the DVD drivers could not be found.

When I loaded the drivers for the other SATA controller, I then got the error that Windows could not be installed to Disk 0 partition 1.

I tried all the suggestions above, rebooting, diskpart etc.

In the end, I simply removed all the hard drives except for the first 2, and connected the DVD to the onboard controller.

Windows is now installing as expected.

Once everything is installed, I will move the DVD back to the other controller and reconnect the other drives and see if that works, but at least Windows will already be installed.

Thanx for all the suggestions - they really helped meget this issue resolved.

viernes, 22 de abril de 2011 9:00
  • man me its not work 3>

sábado, 14 de mayo de 2011 14:15
  • I had the same issue, I have 2 drives that are not RAID I resolved the issue by a not so subtle method.

Disconnected one of the drives and Bingo Installed fine then just reconnected the other drive after win7 installed

lunes, 16 de mayo de 2011 18:22
  • Initially it did not work for me... I tried many many times.... then... i remembered I had to re-insert the Windows CD that I removed to install the drivers of the disk controller and hit refresh... and the error was gone.

The error says that windows cannot install on the selected partition... it does not actually tell you that you should re-insert the installation CD.

SO.... REMEMBER TO RE-INSERT THE WINDOWS INSTALLATION DISK!

sábado, 02 de julio de 2011 6:56
  • Hey Outlander, I understand that these may not of solved your issue, but the steps you have outlined here have resolved mine. 

Thanks heaps for posting this. 

sábado, 09 de julio de 2011 1:03
  • Strangely, I had to disconnect all the other drives to make it work.  My suggestion to others?  Make sure you only have one HDD hooked up to the PC to make it work!
    • Propuesto como respuesta Peter Braunston viernes, 22 de julio de 2011 21:26
    viernes, 22 de julio de 2011 21:26
  • Looks as if I'm the next one to try and get help on this issue.  Same error and have tried most all solutions above, but no luck so far. 

I'm using an adaptec 1430SA raid controller,  which the system see's, along with 4 hard drives (500gig each - identical drives) and set as a Raid 10.  also in the raid controller software I have told it to be a bootable drive.

So when system boots up i see the raid controller and all four drives being present.

When i go into bios i see my sata dvd drive - no other devices connected to other sata ports, no card readers, usb's etc...

Mother board is a gigabyte z68x-ud40b3,

So i go into bios and under advanced settings I have under advanced settings an option for boot priority.  i only have two options here one is "1430SA #0 - 0" which is the raid controller with the 4 hard drives attached to it. I have this as the first priortiy option and then there is a "other cards type option" which shows and is in the second position.  Just down from here it gives me an option for first second and third boot device.  I have it set to CDRom, then hard drive and then disabled.  I have to have it set to CDrom first otherwise i can't see the dvd drive to load the win 7  software.  I don't think I need hard drive in second position as it is not using the mother board built in raid, but rather the optional raid card by adaptec to do the job.  So my thinking is that any bios settings towards raid controller don't take effect in this situation (can anyone confirm or comment on this) I have tried various settings but it seems like the system just doesn't see the raid controller as "C: Drive"  so having some Serious Frustration !! with this one, but glad to see that i'm not alone. 

I'm going out now to pick up a USB DVD player to see if this solves the problem as it's about the only thing listed above that i have not tried, currently running a "Verify Raid Status" from the raid software (started an hour ago and am at 10%, so it looks like I have the night off from this now) Another day shot...

Any other ideas?

viernes, 29 de julio de 2011 20:23
  • I still had the issue after unplugging EVERYTHING but the dvdrom and the hdd, I even went so far as disabling sata ( im using an old socket 754 board and get the issue asus k8v-mx) i tried to install drivers.. no.. i tried dvd first then flipped to hdd first in bios still no..  I tried.. ( F10 just before setup after language chooser ) diskpart, list disk, select disk 0    (your disk may be a different number) , clean, create partition primary..  exit, exit, restart still no go.... then I decided to try 1 drive on the ide then one on the sata and then diskpart, list disk, select disk 0    (your disk may be a different number)
    clean, convert gpt then exit then exit again then restart and it worked!! its REALLY REALLY sad that MS has STUPID and IDIODIC errors such as this. last I checked mosts bios are setup to try the next thing in line to boot from MS !!!! get with the program you morons!!!! 
    and for those that ask the drive was previously loaded with win7 it was a working pull from one of my other pc's and was not wiped formatted ect., before installing it in the 754 pc so it was already set in proper "mode"
    domingo, 31 de julio de 2011 6:36
  • I found this thread through searching for solutions to this problem.

None of the options here worked for me, but I solved it by simply installing from a DVD instead of a USB drive (I had forgotten to include a DVD-ROM as part of my order when I bought a new computer :) ). So for everyone who's having this problem and are installing from a USB drive: See if you can't burn the installation files onto a DVD instead, and then use that to install.

My computer has a single 1TB SATA 3.0 drive. I guess the computer got confused because of the USB drive, and didn't know where to attempt the installation.

jueves, 11 de agosto de 2011 10:48
  • Thank you !
    lunes, 05 de septiembre de 2011 10:37
  • Hi,

Two years later, I know, but I ran into this problem and have had a nightmare with it over the last two weeks. Tried almost all of below, with no joy.

My resolution? Plug the SATA cable into a different channel on the motherboard. "Cannot install" message gone!

Cheers,
    Gav

• Propuesto como respuesta biplob9s martes, 18 de octubre de 2011 9:24
    miércoles, 07 de septiembre de 2011 21:08

- Start Windows setup
    - Click Load Driver
    - Click Next

DUDE YOU ARE THE MAN !!

your answer was SOOOOOOO ON , worked like a charm !   Thank you !

PS:  This guys answer should be linked to the error in the search !

How to is select the disck :S im stupid :P

sábado, 01 de octubre de 2011 19:44

diskpart
    list disk
    clean
    create partition primary
    exit    (exits diskpart)

4) Reboot computer.

YOUR THE MANNNNN BROO!!!!!

IT WORKED!!!  :)))

THANKS A LOT!!

How to i select the disk??? in command prompt. I ha no idea :S 

Everything goes well until i have to select a disk... ( There is no disc selected. Please select a disk)  I dont know how to do it, im not familliar with cmd.

• Editado timmmmiii sábado, 01 de octubre de 2011 19:54
    sábado, 01 de octubre de 2011 19:45
  • Most excellent advice. It worked for my Lenovo/Hitachi drive setup. After the refresh I still got the error message saying it could not install on the selected partition BUT the "Next" button was active and it installed fine. Lesson, do not be deterred by error messages, just forge ahead and it might work.
    jueves, 06 de octubre de 2011 20:50
  • not work
    martes, 18 de octubre de 2011 9:23
  • This error message during windows 7 based system, is caused by many factors.

The most probable is that windows can't assign the C: to the hard disk or partition.

This my happen by bios related problems, but more often, is because the hard disk has an another MBR yet installed. This MBR tells the system that the bootable partition isn't that on this hard disk, so windows notices that he can't start from this location.

The solution is to connect this hard disk to another pc, open a command prompt and use DISKPART to clean and create a primary partition on this disk in a raw format (default).

That is what happened to me, and now I'v resolved.

So, check if the hard disk has a MBR setted yet, if so, erase it.

Hope this is usefull.

lunes, 24 de octubre de 2011 20:26
  • This work for me, after installing the drivers from the driver CD, I had to insert the Windows disk and click refresh and  it installed ok.
    sábado, 12 de noviembre de 2011 22:50
  • I was having this issue but then I realized that windows installer didnt like that i had a sata disk drive... i unplug the sata disk drive and use the pata disk drive i have in outdated technology storage upstairs and "HELLO!!!" it finally installs windows. So apperntly having two sata devices, namely a sata disk drive that is used for the install dvd, plugged in prevents the HDD from being the first sata device to be accessed and hence throws an error on install.

So basically we have to go back the the good ole 40 pin CD/DVD drive for the install to work.

Hope this helps at least one person... Cheers!

miércoles, 07 de diciembre de 2011 2:14
  •  "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information"

For me it just worked out simple ---> unplug USB DVD-ROM and use the DVD-ROM installed in the the computer (IDE controller).

i want to mention that i only have one HDD installed SATA controller.

so if you want to install and do not have internal DVD-ROM just put one inside while installing. Good luck!

lunes, 02 de enero de 2012 22:16
  • I had the same problem. On a new build, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen4, I a pulled a WD 1TB Sata HDD from another computer I had and put it into my new computer.  The drive was previously used just as a data drive, not a boot disk. Win 7 didn't want load on it. I followed the instructions posted by BenFreefly (although abbreviated slightly) and it worked. For reference, here are the steps;

1) After Windows gives you the error, hit SHIFT-F10 to get to the command prompt.

2) From command prompt enter the following commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    clean
    create partition primary
    exit    (exits diskpart)

3) Click on Refresh

4) Windows now sees the disk as a primary disk

5) Select the disk and click Next.

From there, Windows will extract files and the install will boot several times.

Phil C.
    • Propuesto como respuesta Bouncer91 jueves, 05 de julio de 2012 16:34
    sábado, 07 de enero de 2012 23:16
  • worked for me, i am using an old gigabyte board P35

i didnt have to load any drivers, just changed boot order, just had the hard drive and a dvd drive connected

viernes, 13 de enero de 2012 0:27

diskpart
    list disk
    clean
    create partition primary
    exit    (exits diskpart)

4) Reboot computer.

Finally sorted. Thanks a lot :)
    sábado, 21 de enero de 2012 15:19
  • I had the same problem. On a new build, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen4, I a pulled a WD 1TB Sata HDD from another computer I had and put it into my new computer.  The drive was previously used just as a data drive, not a boot disk. Win 7 didn't want load on it. I followed the instructions posted by BenFreefly (although abbreviated slightly) and it worked. For reference, here are the steps;

1) After Windows gives you the error, hit SHIFT-F10 to get to the command prompt.

2) From command prompt enter the following commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    clean
    create partition primary
    exit    (exits diskpart)

3) Click on Refresh

4) Windows now sees the disk as a primary disk

5) Select the disk and click Next.

From there, Windows will extract files and the install will boot several times.

Phil C.

Wow, that's weird, this is my answer that has been deleted

sábado, 04 de febrero de 2012 0:39
  • wowow Now I know.I have experienced This when I have my HDD without partition and without File system

Just create and format new partition on the setup. Close the Win7 Setup.

next time it reboots the problem will be gone

Works like charm. ^^

domingo, 19 de febrero de 2012 9:28
  • Booted from a Windows 8 setup DVD and followed the steps above.  This worked for me on a Toshiba Portege M700 but i did have to reboot after creating the partition to recognise the new empty partition.
    • Editado Yellowsub2 miércoles, 07 de marzo de 2012 19:48
    miércoles, 07 de marzo de 2012 19:46
  • I just got a new computer and tried to install win 7 64-bit. If people help me can you please make it as simple as possible I'm a noob when it comes to fixing computers.

So looking forward to installing it and playing on it, but can't because when I get to the 'disk partition' screen I get this error 'Error: 0x80300001'  .  I have searched all over the internet found a few things that people say worked for them, but not me.

I have tried formatting 'Disk 0 partition 1' and it went from 100MB to 86MB
    then same with 'Disk 0 partition 2' (this is my HDD) it went from 232.8GB to 232.7GB.... Am I doing soemthing wrong!?

partition 1 is set up as CPU system (or something like that)(LOL too scared to go back and check)
    partition 2 is definately set up as Primary

Ok everyone if there is any other stuff that you need to know about my computer just message me
    P.S. here are the specs that know

CPU: Intel i3 dual core 2120 @ 3.30GHz, 3MB cache
    Sound card:N/A
    RAID: have no idea
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 430 1GB
    Hard Drive: 250GB Seagate SATA-III 6GB/s 16MB CACHE
    Motherboa rd: ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3 (NEW REV 3.0): M-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0G
    RAM: 4GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz

miércoles, 04 de abril de 2012 12:57

diskpart
    list disk
    clean
    create partition primary
    exit    (exits diskpart)

4) Reboot computer.

it's help me for fix my problem ;) so guys u can try it, no driver load is needed an other sings :) 
    jueves, 05 de abril de 2012 12:55
  • I have come accross one more issue which I resolved myself. If you ever using thinkstations with marvel sas hdd drivers or similar one and using downloaded drivers during win7 setup dont use the format option by keeping the external downloaded driver cd in the cd drive. It formats the drive no doubt but because windows 7 does not like that file system it keeps rejecting the partiton with 0x80300001 error which may mislead you guys for wrong driver. Its not wrong driver the wrong file system format thereafter u use.

Once the new driver has been loaded and partition is created remove the external driver cd and insert the win7 dvd back again then choose the format and u will be fine. Else you will be going under loop forever.

miércoles, 11 de abril de 2012 7:15
  • It worked for us man its good one thanksssssss
    lunes, 16 de abril de 2012 19:56
  • I fixed it, too....Thank a lot! guys!!
    miércoles, 02 de mayo de 2012 2:10
  • Very many thanx....i've been working on this for days and ur solution was easiest and quickest,not to mention so damn simple,wow!! hav a good 1
    viernes, 22 de junio de 2012 13:34
  • Solved by inserting SATA cable to #1 socket.

I have an ASUS mother board.  Have tried adjust BIOS. Lost ASUS Driver CD.  From previous thread, it looks like the Windows installer is point to the wrong disk.  Without the driver, re-arrange the SATA cable is the easiest I can do.  I move the Harddisk from SATA socket #2 to #1.  It works for me.  Windows 7 Professional, 32 bit.  (I lost 64 bit CD)

martes, 04 de septiembre de 2012 15:55
  • Perfect. This is all I needed to do.
    Thanks for the thorough solution, this solved my problem entirely.

Thanks
    • Propuesto como respuesta runningfoxx miércoles, 10 de abril de 2013 8:21
    miércoles, 10 de abril de 2013 8:21
    - restart computer

Hi guys..i had the same problem. Mine is a Dell Ultrabook 14z. Tried loads of stuff..didnt work. Finally got the RAID drivers installled but this thing where it didnt install on the formatted disk came up.

I formatted the disk through disk operations window during installation. It still didnt install. So restarted setup and now in progress to install WIN 7..

THanks everyone..

• Propuesto como respuesta unleashable_04 martes, 28 de mayo de 2013 3:38
    martes, 28 de mayo de 2013 3:37
  • which driver to load that's u mentioned above......where can i find these motherboard driver mine in Dell inspiron 4050
    sábado, 03 de agosto de 2013 20:23
  • which driver to load that's u mentioned above......where can i find these motherboard driver mine system is Dell inspiron 4050
    sábado, 03 de agosto de 2013 20:23
  • aGreat suggestion dude. It worked!!!! So simple and easy. Go with this guys.
    viernes, 08 de noviembre de 2013 16:24
  • I freaking LOVE you man! ALL day I have been fucking with this issue and your solution worked in 2 seconds! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    domingo, 15 de diciembre de 2013 7:31
  • You just saved my day! Thanks a bunch buddy!
    sábado, 08 de marzo de 2014 16:21
  • Thank you so much!!! this worked for me. I would have been stumped for hours if I had not tried this out.

Cheers and good karma

viernes, 04 de abril de 2014 12:42