none
Windows 7 can't see Network Computers on separate VLAN's

Pregunta

• Hello,

I work at a University and am having an issue seeing a full list of computers on our network.  My computer is connected to a domain. I am running Win 7 and the only computers that I see are the ones that are on my VLAN which is about 20 machines.  All buildings on campus are on their own VLANS (16 - 20 buildings) and I cannot see any of those computers listed under Network.  I can access the c$ on any machine on campus and can remote desktop to all of them as well.  I can not figure out why these machines are not showing up under network.  We do all of our builds here in our office and we have to point machines to a license server which is on a different VLAN.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Network Discovery is on
    Group Policy turns off firewall by default

viernes, 26 de febrero de 2010 21:30

Respuestas

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

May I know if the computers on the VLAN are all Windows 7 computers?

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    If there are some computers which have different operating systems, please refer to the following:

Troubleshoot problems with computers not appearing on the network map

2.    Enable Computer Browser service:

1)    Log on to the client computer by using an account that has administrator permissions.

2)    Click Start, type “services.msc” (without quotations) in Search Bar, and click OK.

3)    In the list of services, double-click Computer Browser.

4)    In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

5)    Under Service status, click Start to start the Computer Browser Service.

6)    When the service is started, click OK, and then quit the Services snap-in.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    martes, 02 de marzo de 2010 11:05
    Moderador
  • Nick,

Thanks for the response.  The Computer Browser Service has been running.  The only machines that I am seeing are the ones that are in my building, they are mostly XP machines.  When i try clicking "See Full Map" i get a message saying "Windows cannot create a network map for the specific type of network connection."  Local Area Connection is what i have it set to.  The only thing that has changes is that we upgraded two of our domain controllers to 2008, i dout that is the problem though because this same issue was happening before that.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    miércoles, 03 de marzo de 2010 23:02
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I would like to confirm if you have tried the methods in the following article:

Troubleshoot problems with computers not appearing on the network map

At this time, please also try the following:

1.    Windows XP computers, install the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder:

Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

2.    Update the NIC driver on the Windows 7 computer.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    viernes, 05 de marzo de 2010 3:20
    Moderador
  • Perhaps I'm missing something but isn't that the point of VLANs? They are designed to keep networks separate. Packets on one LAN or VLAN aren't transmitted to another LAN or VLAN unless there is a router inbetween. If there is a router routing packets, then check the various default gateway settings etc. Make sure you can ping, traceroute etc.

sábado, 24 de abril de 2010 15:35