none
In-place upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Upgrade fails during final step

Pregunta

• The installation is on an HP Pavilion S3507C, which currently has Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I am attempting an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. Before the installation I ran the upgrade adviser and removed any conflicting software and drivers. I run the upgrade, it progesses to the point where there's a setup window with 4 green checkmarks on the left and it says it is in the process of transferring files and settings and the computer stops responding. That includes the mouse cursor, and the caps lock and num lock buttons. At that point I am able to hard reset the system and boot into the rollback, which reverts the system back to Windows Vista. I have gone through the process up to this point twice, one time I tried removing more applications and disabling all non-microsoft services.

I realize a backup and clean install may resolve the issue, but I would rather not perform a clean install as it would involve installing drivers and applications for which I do not have installation media (for example, Microsoft Office came pre-installed on the computer and started off as the trial version which was later purchased and activated with Microsoft.)

jueves, 14 de junio de 2012 20:01

Respuestas

• I was able to resolve the issue and do an in-place upgrade retaining the documents, settings, and programs.

What I did was go into bios and disable all of the non-critical integrated hardware (such as the network card, the firewire interface, and the sound card). I then ran the upgrade and after it had completed successfully I re-enabled the hardware devices one at a time. Everything worked fine with no further problems in Windows 7. I believe one of those devices was causing the hang during the upgrade, since disabling them all resolved the issue.

• Marcado como respuesta doctorno988 lunes, 18 de junio de 2012 18:29
    lunes, 18 de junio de 2012 18:28

Todas las respuestas

• Have you disabled your anti-virus and malware programs? Disable your screen saver.
    jueves, 14 de junio de 2012 23:46
  • I have done so to no avail, however, thank you for the suggestion.

I believe it is a hardware issue that causes the problem.

viernes, 15 de junio de 2012 18:16
  • Hi,

Let us try to upgrade the system to Windows 7 one more time by referring the following website.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7-custom

If you still failed to upgrade, please assist me collect the log file from the location below for analyzing.

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\sources\setuperr.log 

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

lunes, 18 de junio de 2012 9:46
    Moderador
  • I was able to resolve the issue and do an in-place upgrade retaining the documents, settings, and programs.

What I did was go into bios and disable all of the non-critical integrated hardware (such as the network card, the firewire interface, and the sound card). I then ran the upgrade and after it had completed successfully I re-enabled the hardware devices one at a time. Everything worked fine with no further problems in Windows 7. I believe one of those devices was causing the hang during the upgrade, since disabling them all resolved the issue.

• Marcado como respuesta doctorno988 lunes, 18 de junio de 2012 18:29
    lunes, 18 de junio de 2012 18:28