none
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Registry errors

Pregunta

• I hope I am in the right area (suggested by Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team: Another user, sudarshans1, has replied to a thread you have subscribed to in the Where is the Forum For…? Forum. Thread Title HKEY_LOCAL_Machine errors Started by: D Thomas
    Reply: Hi, Thank you for your post!  I would suggest posting your question in one of the 
    Windows Client TechCenter > Windows Vista IT Pro Forums > Windows Vista Application Compatibility Toolkit  located here:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaact/threads.

Have a great day! Sudarshan shindode Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team The Microsoft Developer Network ).

I am receiving the following Registry Errors:
    1. Updating Adobe Reader v9.1.0 (installed 03122009) to 9.1.2 by Vendor Update or stand alone download or even by trying uninstall I receive - Error (1402) Could Not Open Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Windows\Current Version\Run.
    2. When updating ITunes v8.1.0.52 which also includes QuickTime 7.60.92.0 (both installed 03142009) to ITunes/QuickTime Pack 8.2 either by Vendor Update or stand alone download or even by trying uninstall I receive - Error Could Not Open Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Windows\Current Version\Run.

I am the Administrator so that is not the issue. I have also tried to install/uninstall these programs in Safe Mode.

I am in Vista SP2. And thought this problem would correct itself when upgrading to SP2.

I have contacted both Adobe and Apple with these problems and even though they address similar errors - not these. Both suggested looking into 3rd party software/registry tools or contacting Microsoft Support. I contacted several 3rd party vendors only 1 replied - PCTools Registry Mechanic - they could not address or commit to being able to correct these specific errors but many others they could.

I would appreciate any help or guidance where to go for assistance - short of having to reinstall OS.

miércoles, 10 de junio de 2009 18:10

Respuestas

• Hi,

It may be a permission problem, I suggest you take following steps to troubleshoot the problem.

First of all, let’s backup registry. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start , type regedit in the Search box, and then press ENTER.
    Right-click Computer, click Export, Save a backup file on your desktop.

NOTE: If an unexpected issue be encountered after modifying registry, please double click the backup file to restore registry.

1. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Windows\Current Version\Run

2. Right click Run, choose Permissions.
    3. If your User Profile has Administrator rights then the boxes should be checked next to Full Control and Read. SYSTEM should be set the same. If they aren't please change them.

Then, please restart the computer to test the issue. If the issue still persist, please help me collect a screenshot for the problem.

Thanks.

viernes, 12 de junio de 2009 9:00
    Moderador

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

It may be a permission problem, I suggest you take following steps to troubleshoot the problem.

First of all, let’s backup registry. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start , type regedit in the Search box, and then press ENTER.
    Right-click Computer, click Export, Save a backup file on your desktop.

NOTE: If an unexpected issue be encountered after modifying registry, please double click the backup file to restore registry.

1. Navigate to

2. Right click Run, choose Permissions.
    3. If your User Profile has Administrator rights then the boxes should be checked next to Full Control and Read. SYSTEM should be set the same. If they aren't please change them.

Then, please restart the computer to test the issue. If the issue still persist, please help me collect a screenshot for the problem.

Thanks.

viernes, 12 de junio de 2009 9:00
    Moderador
  • Hi Robinson Zhang

I have run into a snag. It may be simply resolved or explained. Under Run: listed Don (Don-PC\Don) with the Full Control and Read boxes checked. (There is a sub directory under Run - OptionalComponents but when right clicked states that I do not have permission to enter.)

My confusion is under System there are 4 User Names:
    Creator Owner - only Special Permissions box checked
    System - Full Control and Read checked
    Administrators (Don-PC\Administrators) - Full Control and Read checked
    Users (Don-PC\Users) - only Read box checked

There is not a Don (Don-PC\Don) listed, do I need to add this?

Thanks
    Don Thomas
    viernes, 12 de junio de 2009 15:30
  • Hi Don,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you can add your account into the permission list. Then, please try to test the issue again.

For detail steps, you can refer to the following link:

Maintain Registry Security

Thanks.

lunes, 15 de junio de 2009 4:04
    Moderador
  • Hi Robinson Zhang

Sorry for lack of communication, I had to leave town for business. I added Don (Don-PC\Don) to System. with Full Control and Read checked. And under Special Permissions for:

The same functions are checked for Don (Don\PC-Don) are checked (note this is the only User listed for the HKLM).

At the time and just a few moments ago, rebooted and tried to uninstall Quicktime and ITunes (Adobe Reader is no longer listed in Add/Remove Programs for some reason but is still operable from Desktop) but I still come up with the same errors. Also tried to download programs and install with the same error.

If you still want "screen shots" - what do you want shots of, how do I do this and how do I get these to you? I do not see a function for upload here.

Thanks
    Don Thomas
    lunes, 29 de junio de 2009 15:48