none
custom Windows 7 background apply once once requirement

Pregunta

• Hi

I have a requirment to apply a custom wallpaper (several, depending on security group membership) to workstations.

However, it should only apply them once -- on first logon of the user, they should then be able to change the wallpaper without it reverting back to the originally applied custom wallpaper.

Can I do this with GPO's just running the setting once

I have a GPO that sets the hompage as a run once setting, presumably I can use this method?

• Editado Hodgy0_2 martes, 17 de abril de 2012 9:33
    martes, 17 de abril de 2012 9:26

Respuestas

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

Myabe you could utilize Runonce key in registry to achieve your purpose. You may customize Wallpaper in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper then export this key=>Compose a script to merge with Registry via Runonce.

For more information, please refer to the article below.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd346765.aspx

Juke Chou
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

miércoles, 18 de abril de 2012 9:16
    Moderador
  • Hi thanks for the reply Juke

I think I can do it using GPO preferences

but maybe you could answer this question

whats is the difference/relationship between

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General\WallpaperSource

they both seem to set the wallpaper

what is the authoritative location of the desktop wallpaper

Cheers

James

miércoles, 18 de abril de 2012 9:26
  • Hi,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General\WallpaperSource seems it points to the Wallpaper Source path if it need to be transcoded.

You only need to modify the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper.

Please see the blog below.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2011/08/22/windows-7-background-customization.aspx

Juke Chou

jueves, 19 de abril de 2012 8:07
    Moderador
  • Hi,

Any update?

Juke Chou

lunes, 23 de abril de 2012 10:16
    Moderador
  • yes I have reviewed the link

and it confirms HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper as the source of the wallpaper configuration

and using the GP preferences it is possible to set it as a "run once" setting

but still unsure what the below does

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General\WallpaperSource

lunes, 23 de abril de 2012 10:32
  • Hi,

If the picture is a BMP file, it will be transcoded to jpg. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper points to the jpg file path, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General\WallpaperSource points to source bmp file path.

You have no need to change the setting in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General\WallpaperSource.

Juke Chou

martes, 24 de abril de 2012 2:14
    Moderador
  • Hi,

Is there anything else I can help?

Juke Chou

viernes, 27 de abril de 2012 11:24
    Moderador
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Juke Chou

jueves, 03 de mayo de 2012 9:42
    Moderador
  • yes fine

Thanks Juke

jueves, 03 de mayo de 2012 9:43