none
upgrade to 64-bit

Question

• I currently have windows 7 home premium 32-bit cd and installation. Yesterday I bought 8 GB RAM and want to install and use it. In order to use more than 4 GB of RAM I am required to run a 64-bit version of windows 7. But my windows 7 cd does not support 64bit. On the cd it says includes anytime upgrade.

I heard a rumor these days all cd's come with both a 64bit version and a 32bit version. But my cd only has the 32bit version.

So how for me to continue?
    1) Is there an easy place for me to download and will I be allowed to use my 32-bit license on the 64-bit installation?
    2) Must I buy a new version of windows?

Thanks
    allwind
    vendredi 25 mai 2012 21:09

Réponses

• Hi,

I noticed that you have an OEM Key and your Windows 7 is preinstalled. However, I’m afraid that the installation media you downloaded is a retail version, and please note that OEM Key cannot activate the retail version.

Therefore, it is recommended to contact your OEM to see if they can give you 64-bit Windows 7 installation media.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

mardi 29 mai 2012 09:53
    Modérateur

Toutes les réponses

• Retail copies of Win7, both full and upgrade, come with installation DVDs for both 32 and 64 bit versions. (One version per disk.)

OEM copies do not. The license key is supposed to work with either version, but you'd have to come up with an installation disk.

I have read that a retail installation disk can be used with an OEM key, but I've never done it.

You may wish to create a universal installation disk. (Web search on ei.cfg.)

There are places online where legitimate .iso files of the WIn7 installers may be downloaded, but as far as I know, it's still forbidden to post links to them here. Search for them at mydigitallife; the links are to digital river, which is a service used to deliver some downloads of Windows.

vendredi 25 mai 2012 21:31
  • Like I said. My installation CD only has a 32 bit version of windows. It does sound like I am entitled to a 64-bit version and it should have been on my original CD. I am also not sure, whether my original purchase will have 64-bit version included in it.

I got quite a lot of microsoft shares in my portfolio of stocks. I have an original version of windows on each on my many computers. How for me to proceed to get a CD with 64 bit windows 7 home premium. I live in Asia. I presume you can not recommend this. But you could warn me against getting a local CD and use it to help me install, and then use my original code. Would that be something you would warn against? Or should I contact somewhere inside microsoft to get my 64-bit version?

Thanks
    allwind
    vendredi 25 mai 2012 22:39
  • For assistance, please see this web page.

Carey Frisch

vendredi 25 mai 2012 22:45
    Modérateur
  • For assistance, please see this web page.

Carey Frisch

Is it now permissible to post links to the Digital River downloads? That would be helpful.
    samedi 26 mai 2012 00:55
  • I was able to download windows 7. But I am unable to use the windows tool to get it on a USB or burn a DVD.

Untill a couple of days ago I was unaware what an OEM version is. I do have an OEM version. It is all on the same computer. Will I be allowed to use my 32 bit license code for a 64 bit version?

lundi 28 mai 2012 19:34
  • I was able to download windows 7. But I am unable to use the windows tool to get it on a USB or burn a DVD.

Untill a couple of days ago I was unaware what an OEM version is. I do have an OEM version. It is all on the same computer. Will I be allowed to use my 32 bit license code for a 64 bit version?

I'm not sure what your problem might be with the download. Did you get the .iso? That's the easiest form to deal with.

I haven't done it personally, but an OEM key is supposed to be capable of activating both the 32 and 64 bit installations.

mardi 29 mai 2012 01:11
  • I am able to download the Iso. I can put the Iso on a USB or DVD yes. But not as the installation files. I need to go out of town for a couple of days.

I am happy I can use the OEM license for both 32 bit and 64 bit. So I will work on getting a CD. Some expert friend told me can not. But if you tell me I can, then I believe you and will work on getting a CD.
    mardi 29 mai 2012 01:18
  • @bobkn (MCC), Yes, it's permitted to link to Digital River downloads. 

@allwind, Have you tried to use Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool.

Does it give any errors?

If copying to a USB, you can try re-formatting it (it has worked for me once)-

Follow Step 2: Format a USB flash drive on http://blogs.msdn.com/b/habibh/archive/2011/09/14/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-8-developer-preview.aspx

"Insert a USB flash drive into your computer
    Start a Command Prompt as an Administrator and type diskpart. This starts the Disk Partition tool which you need to use to format the flash drive. Once you see the DISKPART command prompt, type in the following commands
    DISKPART> list disk                                          (shows list of active disks) 
    DISKPART> select disk #                                  (is the number for your USB flash drive)
    DISKPART> clean                                               (deletes any existing partitions on the USB flash drive) 
    DISKPART> create partition primary                    (create a primary partition on the USB flash drive) 
    DISKPART> select partition 1                               (select the newly created partition) 
    DISKPART> active                                                (make the new partition active) 
    DISKPART> format FS=NTFS                                 (format the USB drive with NTFS file system) 
    DISKPART> assign                                               (assign a volume and drive letter to the USB drive)   
    DISKPART> exit                                                  (exit Disk Partition) 

mardi 29 mai 2012 07:22
  • Hi,

I noticed that you have an OEM Key and your Windows 7 is preinstalled. However, I’m afraid that the installation media you downloaded is a retail version, and please note that OEM Key cannot activate the retail version.

Therefore, it is recommended to contact your OEM to see if they can give you 64-bit Windows 7 installation media.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

mardi 29 mai 2012 09:53
    Modérateur